babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Mid-east HRW

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Mid-east HRW
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 01 June 2003 12:10 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There are many topics to choose from besides Israel how about we choose one and discuss the issue. Why is so little heard about these in the Mass media or on Rabble?

Mid-East HRW

You can chose any country from the right of list the title of Parent directory does say Middle east after all and not just Israel to put that in to proportion.

I also strongly recommend starting Parent directories on other regions in the world like Africa, The Fareast, Europe, South America and even North America. Not too would be Biased and a Double standard.

[ 01 June 2003: Message edited by: Justice ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 01 June 2003 12:24 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So start one if you want to talk about another Middle East issue.

And by the way, it's not because of bias or double standard that we started the Middle East forum. It's because there were so many topics on Israel that they were crowding out all the other topics in the news and politics forums. It was given its own separate forum because of volume considerations alone and no other reason.

[ 01 June 2003: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 01 June 2003 12:42 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't blame you Michelle but think about the reason's why people like to crowd around Israel. It doesn't make any sense.

You could use it's the center of faith to the worlds 3 main monotistic religions which is about half the worlds population but I think there is more a lot more. If it were just about religious issues unless the whole world is fanatic I'm sure we would have been able to compromise by now.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 01 June 2003 12:54 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
True. So that's probably your explanation as to why there are more Israel threads on babble than threads about other regions. Nothing sinister.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 01 June 2003 01:07 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not sinister but it is an excuse it is a scape goat to other issues.

There are many, many reasons for this. I think religion is one of them but I can accept it as the main one there are so many.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 01 June 2003 01:38 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't know what you're trying to say. Speak plainly about what you're getting at.
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 01 June 2003 02:04 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is a very dangerous issue you to get into... so before we start let me just make it clear I'm not making any generalizations these are only portions of societies.

Americans: to cover up crimes committed in their country or to balance out the Jewish influence in their country. They also don't like to waste their money on other countries unless it's their interest.

Europeans: to cover up their shame for the crimes committed in the holocaust

Middle East, North Africa: Israel existence is humiliating to them how come they can not destroy such a small country. They are also jealous of Israel's success in building such a modern high-tech country. It's not just American support or that they stole Ideas they have contributed greatly to the world scientific community on their own. Even humanitarian aid they have manage to give in many countries.

Canadians: Guilty by association with the US. Canadians are afraid of living next door to the US. If they ever had a unified currency under the free trade agreement they would lose another part of their identity. They fear losing their beautiful identity and become another state of the united states that why there is so much anti-Americanism and Israel is guilty by association.

South America and Far East: I don't know specifically. There have been bombings in Argentineans synagogues and I'm sure China and many in the Fareast would use any excuse it could to deflect people from looking into their human rights abuses.

So in one way or the other its shame, Jealousy, too much pride. They are all human emotions and sadly many people in many countries across the world feel this way it has the power to mobilize masses. We could into this for a very long time but that would be a different thread.

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 01 June 2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justice:
There are many topics to choose from besides Israel how about we choose one and discuss the issue. Why is so little heard about these in the Mass media or on Rabble?

Mid-East HRW

You can chose any country from the right of list the title of Parent directory does say Middle east after all and not just Israel to put that in to proportion.

I've never been good at following orders. While there are a lot of horrible things going on the Middle East, your posting of an HRW website brings up a bigger issue to me: the issue of the role of so-called 'non-governmental organisations' (NGOs) in the imperial and colonial activities of Western states in the Third World. To what degree do these nominally independent organisations actually function as part of what Althusser called the 'Ideological State Aparatus' (ISA). While they often excoriate, for example, U.S. policy, they often do it from the standpoint that the U.S. doesn't interfere in other states enough or in the right way. Second, to what degree do these organisations, acting as 'authorities' and a form of media (they get stories and publicise them) effect the differing responses in the Western world to various crimes committed elsewhere. What role do independent lobbying groups - be they human rights based or allied to some particular issue or state - control and effect the selection of the sites of and implementation of Western imperial power in the Third World. Why is 'Israel' more on the radar screen than, say, Saudi Arabia. Why is Iran more on the radar screen than, say, Yemen. More precisely, how is it that the selection process of where and when an how to intervene by imperial states effected by the lobbying efforts of non-state actors? How do they both justify and protect the dominant ideology of imperialism/colonialism?

These are just a few rough ideas, that I think would give interesting light into a lot of the questions people argue over around here to do with 'fairness', 'bias', 'double-standards', etc.

[quote/[/qb]I also strongly recommend starting Parent directories on other regions in the world like Africa, The Fareast, Europe, South America and even North America. Not too would be Biased and a Double standard.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Not when the standard is bandwidth and diskspace....

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 01 June 2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Not when the standard is bandwidth and diskspace....

You right I'm sorry I didn't think about the money

As far as the rest goes on a more serious note, It is a complex issue I admit and I don't have all the answers.

Yet trying to speak morally, Ethically and philosophically. As much as western countries have influenced the scope of the tragedies that occurred in these regions. You must make sure the perpetrators get punished more then the ignorant promoters.

Example1: The US gives Israel an F-16 Israel drops a bomb on Palestine, Sure the Americans are responsible and should be punished but it's not as if they gave the order, shouldn't Israel be more responsible?

Example2: Russia helps Iran develop Nuclear weapons. Iran uses them, Russia should be punished but isn't Iran more responsible?

Example3: Germany sells chemical weapons to Iraq. Germany should be punished but isn't Iraq more responsible?

Example4: A father doesn't lock up his gun properly his teenage son gets it and uses it on someone. The father should be punished but shouldn't a teenage boy already know better?

Eample5 : "This is different" England and France exploit Africa for Gems and natural resources. These resources run out they leave the people starving yup their responsible but if the people start killing each other for control of the region are they responsible too.

Don't misunderstand the whole world is responsible for all these things but the weight should be different. For example the American made a big mess in Iraq in the 1980's but they shouldn't be stopped from trying to fix it now. The problem wasn't the method the used the problem was that in the 1980's they were to stupid to have the foresight for what was to come. Many more lives could have been saved had they acted sooner and by that I mean about 20 years sooner. It's the worlds fault too for ignoring it

[ 01 June 2003: Message edited by: Justice ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 01 June 2003 02:52 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Example1: The US gives Israel an F-16 Israel drops a bomb on Palestine, Sure the Americans are responsible and should be punished but it's not as if they gave the order, shouldn't Israel be more responsible?

Eample2: Russia helps Iran develop Nuclear weapons. Iran uses them, Russia should be punished but isn't Iran more responsible?

I try to keep up on current events, but when did Iran nuke anybody?

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 01 June 2003 02:59 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The question is Hypothetical but the Russians have helped them developed a nuclear program
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 01 June 2003 03:15 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If you're trying to give evidence to argue a position, perhaps you should reconsider inventing situations from thin air.
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 01 June 2003 03:27 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It is plausible isn't it?

Doesn't matter whether the situation exist it matters who would be the more accountable can't you see that's what I was trying to say.

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 01 June 2003 03:55 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Seemed pretty obvious to me.
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 01 June 2003 04:02 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Americans: to cover up crimes committed in their country or to balance out the Jewish influence in their country. They also don't like to waste their money on other countries unless it's their interest.

This is why Americans would be anti-Israel?

I don't think I buy this. "To balance out the Jewish influence in their country"? I wasn't aware there was disproportionate Jewish influence in America, or that said influence was a concern to more than a lunatic fringe of the population. Try again.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 01 June 2003 04:26 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Y'know, I just don't buy this whole thread.

Some of us DO work on news discussions of other parts of the world. For personal reasons, I have a special interest in Afghanistan, eg, have had since 1979, and I've followed every thread ever written on this board about Afghanistan, contributed to many.

Over the last couple of weeks, many of us have tried to keep threads going about the horrific civil/international war going on in Congo, and last week we tried to breathe life into a thread about the revolution happening in Nepal. (You did know there is a revolution going on in blessed Nepal? And it is, or should be, a deeply blessed country.)

A number of babblers have special knowledge of Central and South America, and regularly try to get threads going on issues that should be crucial to all of us in this hemisphere.

But hey -- do I ever EVER see Justice or Mishei posting to those topics? Noooo, I do not. I sometimes see Mishei or Justice complaining that the rest of us pay too much attention to the Middle East and neglect horrors in the rest of the world. But do I see them following through with anything like the commitment of many other babblers to understanding the problems of, eg, Africa, or Latin America, or South-East Asia? Noooo, I do not.

And then, you know, babble is also about Canada. A few of us -- a VERY FEW -- have been trying over the last week to talk on several threads about desperately important social problems, especially problems with the health system ... And have I seen Justice or Mishei contributing to the life of those discussions? Noooo, I have not.

So, Justice: Stuff it.

So people who are interested in foreign affairs happen at the moment to be focused on the Middle East. Gee, what a surprise. Gee, I can't imagine why that would be so.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 01 June 2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not to mention that if you want to discuss human rights in other parts of the Middle East, you might want to actually do that rather than, you know, starting a general thread and saying "pick a region, any region, but quit being mean to Israel. By the way, everyone's really mean to Israel. Why does everyone focus on Israel? Israel. Israel Israel Israel Israel Israel."
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 01 June 2003 08:09 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Tweedledum: It is plausible isn't it?

Tweedledee: Seemed pretty obvious to me.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 01 June 2003 08:27 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What Skdadl and Smith just said.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 01 June 2003 09:02 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But hey -- do I ever EVER see Justice or Mishei posting to those topics? Noooo, I do not. I sometimes see Mishei or Justice complaining that the rest of us pay too much attention to the Middle East and neglect horrors in the rest of the world. But do I see them following through with anything like the commitment of many other babblers to understanding the problems of, eg, Africa, or Latin America, or South-East Asia? Noooo, I do not.

You know if this wasnt so typical it wopuld not merit a response. But for the challenge of it...yes Skadal et al I have posted on other issues...Yes I have a particular interest in the Middle east but to point your scraggly finger at me and complain about where i post is plain unacceptable (I thought ) on this Board....Alas I have learned that if Skadadl does it ..well its OK

So for the record here are some of the other issues I have posted on:

NDP
Activism
Abortion
Education
spousal abuse
NHL hockey
Dope laws
Rabble reaction on a whol;e variety of issues
Bruce Springsteen
Gay and Lesbian issues
Child Abuse

And there is more..just let me know if you would like me to start another list...cant wait to see the response

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 01 June 2003 09:52 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If I had to calculate out the ratios of your posts on the middle east forum to other fora, I'd say the ratio probably breaks down 80% middle east 20% other.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 01 June 2003 10:26 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrConway:
If I had to calculate out the ratios of your posts on the middle east forum to other fora, I'd say the ratio probably breaks down 80% middle east 20% other.
So fucking WHAT? Why is this your business or anyone else's for that matter? Why am I the only one who is questioned as to what and where I post? Why do people like you relish pointing out the stats of my posts? Do you have a fetish about me?

It was always my understanding that Babble was a discussion board. Are there rules I am unaware of that say you MUST post on all subjects that Doc Conway and Skdadl demand? Funny I must have missed that rule somewhere along the line.

Lay off folks. Take your strange obsession about me either into PMs or DROP IT! Otherwise we will all begin to really wonder about you.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 01 June 2003 11:01 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Let's make a deal: We won't tell you what to post about if you don't tell US what to post about.

Is this satisfactory?

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 01 June 2003 11:06 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
scraggly finger

Mishei that is a low blow.

From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 01 June 2003 11:34 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sorry Guys I suggest we close this posting it did drag off in a bad direction.

I tried but it's no use my mistake I should thought more however. I would love, love someone to prove me wrong that the world is not biased. That situation in Israel is over sensationalized.

Don't expect me to conform so quick and I will start though another topic being critical of other things hopefully more fair, direct and specific. That also doesn't mean that I have changed my mind about what I've posted here so far I still stand behind what I said. It is just this was started wrong and went into a bad direction.

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 01 June 2003 11:51 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm having a bit of a hard time following this thread, so lemme see if I've got this straight.

Justice starts with a statistical curiosity about thread topics, adds eye of newt and some batwings, and a couple of incantations later he's managed to turn it into a hologram of an argument. (and all in only 5 posts. I AM impressed)

So further downthread, Mishei jumps in with both feet, as is his wont, about why people post in such large clusters in the mid east thread, like it was some really bad thing. (I think). Now when Dr. Conway suggests that Mishie is batting 800 as it were, mid east thread wise, he blows a rad hose, and uses the "F" word. (you did Mishei, shame on you) So now, it's a bad thing to point out that people post more in some places than others.

Now Mishei, you're a professional communicator, so if you can lay off the potty mouth, perhaps you could make all this clear for me.

I'd just like to add that it's probably more 95% to 5 %, and there've been a lot of threads I've been in lately when I wouldn't have minded the input of a social worker.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 01 June 2003 11:57 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Justice starts with a statistical curiosity about thread topics, adds eye of newt and some batwings, and a couple of incantations later he's managed to turn it into a hologram of an argument. (and all in only 5 posts. I AM impressed)

I apologize, I admit to a mistake, I try to redirect and rationalize. I try to be empathic and have a heart. I try to have some humility and shame. And you call me a witch??? Have you no shame??? Have you no humility and no mercy?

Such a wicked tongue toward me? After I try to give some kindness, I am shocked.

I guess I have managed sadly to expose evil here.

[ 02 June 2003: Message edited by: Justice ]

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 02 June 2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wasn't aware it was that horrible to make facetious references to witchcraft.
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 02 June 2003 12:06 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Witchcraft maybe not but the implication was that I was evil period. I maybe a little biased and if I can admit to that and all the other things I admited to above how can I be evil?

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 02 June 2003 12:10 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It was Mishei who gave me my first pure laugh on this thread ... Mishei, who has so often interrogated others about why they post and where, and who is now so UTTERLY INFURIATED!!! at being asked THE SAME QUESTIONS his own wee self!

And then I read oldgoat. Now, that's funny, even when you don't fully understand it.

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 02 June 2003 12:18 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It could have been funny had I not apologized before it. I usually can take a pun or 2, But when I'm trying to be sympathetic and nice, and someone makes fun I find it rather insulting
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 02 June 2003 12:18 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Such a wicked tongue toward me? After I try to give some kindness, I am shocked.

I guess I have managed sadly to expose evil here.

You're kidding, right?

If not, go have a beer, take a walk, read the funny papers...anything, but quit taking yourself so seriously.

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 02 June 2003 12:21 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I said I'ms orry I want to start things over lets just end there

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 02 June 2003 12:34 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
ok, we'll start over.

The Squirrels of Tanry Doon

The squirrels of Tanry Doon draw closer 'round my house.
First a few, then by the score,
Now legion, in the thousands they mass.
Ten thousand flaming eyes
Burning, united in an ancient rage.
Tails bristle in hatred.
Little paws form tiny fists, raised in anger.
The stacatto of acorns pepper my plate glass window
Hurled in malice.
I peek from curtains drawn
Hiding in the attic, safe for now,
My mind races.
What primal god had I offended.
A silence falls
As one they move,
One single mind to ancient fury bent
The squirrels of Tanry Doon.
It is a dark day.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 02 June 2003 12:48 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Love Calls Us to the Things of This World

Richard Wilbur

The eyes open to a cry of pulleys,
And spirited from sleep, the astounded soul
Hangs for a moment bodiless and simple
As false dawn.
Outside the open window
The morning air is all awash with angels.

Some are in bed-sheets, some are in blouses,
Some are in smocks: but truly there they are.
Now they are rising together in calm swells
Of halcyon feeling, filling whatever they wear
With the deep joy of their impersonal breathing;

Now they are flying in place, conveying
The terrible speed of their omnipresence, moving
And staying like white water; and now of a sudden
They swoon down into so rapt a quiet
That nobody seems to be there.
The soul shrinks

From all that is about to remember,
From the punctual rape of every blessed day,
And cries,
``Oh, let there be nothing on earth but laundry,
Nothing but rosy hands in the rising steam
And clear dances done in the sight of heaven.''

Yet, as the sun acknowledges
With a warm look the world's hunks and colors,
The soul descends once more in bitter love
To accept the waking body, saying now
In a changed voice as the man yawns and rises,

``Bring them down from their ruddy gallows;
Let there be clean linen for the backs of thieves;
Let lovers go fresh and sweet to be undone,
And the heaviest nuns walk in a pure floating
Of dark habits,
keeping their difficult balance.''

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 02 June 2003 12:49 AM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justice:

I tried but it's no use my mistake I should thought more however. I would love, love someone to prove me wrong that the world is not biased. That situation in Israel is over sensationalized.

Uh, the reason it is over sensationalised is that it is a constant agenda of lobby groups paid by the Israeli government to keep it on the agenda over here. Military, political, and - last but certainly not least - financial support of the U.S. is crucial for Israel's continued expansion and position vis a vis the Palestinians. As such, the amount of paid 'position journalism' on Israel is massive. Folks from Daniel Pipes on down are paid a lot of money to make sure that that certain themes - like connecting Palestinian violence to 'Global Terrorism' - are continually given favourable light in the U.S. media in order to enlist the support of the American population behind their government's foreign policy concerning Israel. It's no secret, there is no conspiratorial cabal, this is just the way that politics is done in this so-called 'democratic' day and age. As the folks at Ruder-Finn, a lobbying group - put it, you have to hit first, and hard, and all subsequent explainations and denials are useless. So on an issue like the Israel/Palestine conflict, which is heavily dependent on U.S. official and lay opinion, whenever anything happens, these lobby groups go into high gear to get their message, their meaning and contextualisation of the event, on record first in order to mine the 'public consciousness' in their favour. Only in the past few years has the Palestinian side begun to get more adept at this procedure, and that is one reason that many mainstream opinions on the conflict, especially among the public, have begun to swing away from unabashed support of Israel.

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 02 June 2003 12:54 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thank you I needed that so I'll continue for the hell of it, on this beautiful line and add one of my favorites

Kahlil Gibran from the prophet

And an orator said, "Speak to us of Freedom."
And he answered:
At the city gate and by your fireside I have seen you prostrate yourself and worship your own freedom,
Even as slaves humble themselves before a tyrant and praise him though he slays them.
Ay, in the grove of the temple and in the shadow of the citadel I have seen the freest among you wear their freedom as a yoke and a handcuff.
And my heart bled within me; for you can only be free when even the desire of seeking freedom becomes a harness to you, and when you cease to speak of freedom as a goal and a fulfillment.
You shall be free indeed when your days are not without a care nor your nights without a want and a grief,
But rather when these things girdle your life and yet you rise above them naked and unbound.
And how shall you rise beyond your days and nights unless you break the chains which you at the dawn of your understanding have fastened around your noon hour?
In truth that which you call freedom is the strongest of these chains, though its links glitter in the sun and dazzle the eyes.
And what is it but fragments of your own self you would discard that you may become free?
If it is an unjust law you would abolish, that law was written with your own hand upon your own forehead.
You cannot erase it by burning your law books nor by washing the foreheads of your judges, though you pour the sea upon them.
And if it is a despot you would dethrone, see first that his throne erected within you is destroyed.
For how can a tyrant rule the free and the proud, but for a tyranny in their own freedom and a shame in their won pride?
And if it is a care you would cast off, that care has been chosen by you rather than imposed upon you.
And if it is a fear you would dispel, the seat of that fear is in your heart and not in the hand of the feared.
Verily all things move within your being in constant half embrace, the desired and the dreaded, the repugnant and the cherished, the pursued and that which you would escape.
These things move within you as lights and shadows in pairs that cling.
And when the shadow fades and is no more, the light that lingers becomes a shadow to another light.
And thus your freedom when it loses its fetters becomes itself the fetter of a greater freedom.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 02 June 2003 12:58 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mishei, keep your pants on. Geez!
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 02 June 2003 12:58 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Courage

You got to do better then that you think there that stupid to shoot themselves in the foot like that. Common its democracy you're talking about they crawl out of the wood work themselves.

It doesn't matter what you call it anyways Israel Palestine. Not that Israel is Palestine or visa versa but they are interlaced when one goes off the Radar so will the other.

Anyways let's move it to a different thread.

This finally took a nice turn

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 02 June 2003 01:10 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
So further downthread, Mishei jumps in with both feet, as is his wont, about why people post in such large clusters in the mid east thread,
Um actually I did no such thing.

And Skdadl, yes months and months ago prior to setting up a Middle east board I made unwarranted comments about too many threads on Israel. I stopped. Never brought it up again. So imagine my surprise when you do Skdadl?? Actually I take it back...the fact that Im surprised that is.

BTW, always did like Gibran.

quote:
Mishei, who has so often interrogated others about why they post and where,
Edited to add... Skdadl help me out here and tell me ...when was the last time I brought up why there are so many Israel related topics?...As I said I did do that many months ago but to say or intimate that this is recent ...well you may be wrong..but then again I may be wrong, so please indicate when I have done this recently...thanks for the assistance.

Oh and one more thing did I point to anyone in particular and say "hey you....you are posting too much on such and such a board"?..nooo If anything I generally questioned why there were so many Israel related threads...all too many moons ago ....

[ 02 June 2003: Message edited by: Mishei ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 02 June 2003 01:34 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There used to be a wonderful way to get the # of posts someone had made inside a forum when you ran a search on someone's babbler #. Dunno what happened to that feature or if it migrated somewhere else.

But anyway, some empirical data.

25 threads registered Mishei's posts in the Politics forum.
88 threads registered Mishei's posts here in the Middle East Forum.
138 threads registered Mishei's posts in the News forum.

Other fora fall off to virtually nothing in inverse proportion to the prevalence of Israel threads that crop up in such fora.

Now, in Mishei's defence, a quick check shows 385 threads in this forum, only about 20 of which were actually STARTED by Mishei. That works out to about 5% of the total.

However, 88 threads POSTED on in the Middle East forum alone works out to about 23% of the threads contributed to.

If I could work out the number of posts made in the forum, total, and compute your percentage I suspect I'd see an even higher number.

And I'd appreciate it, Mishei, if in the future you watched your language.

[ 02 June 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 02 June 2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Watch my language....Doc have you asked others here to "watch" thair language? And what words in this free wheeling forum are actually "verbotin" ? Please post the list of words that you cannot post on Babble.

Now as for your statistical data analysing my posts, WOW, what an amazing job.

When can we expect you data on the 3000plus other members of Babble? Or is this research relegated to me alone. If so it is a wierd if not spooky fetish this targetting of one poster on babbler for all this special attention.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 02 June 2003 11:00 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mishei, truly fuzzy though my aging memory often is, I am certain that within the last two weeks you and I had a brief exchange about the paucity of discussion on babble of the situation in Congo.

I think that I actually made the first comment, and then you chimed in at once, agreed with me, and said something to the effect that you often regretted how little attention babblers paid to urgent crises elsewhere (which was not my point, and which I think is self-evidently not true). Not that either one of us immediately went to post on Congo, mind.

Anyway, I'm sure that happened. On which of the often indistinguishable Middle East threads did it happen? Search me. Wouldn't that be a way to keep skdadl busy for a morning, flipping through one after another of these discussions.

I suspect that if you search your own memory, my description above will jog it. I'm not making it up, anyway.

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 02 June 2003 11:16 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Skdadl, honestly I do not recall but let us say you are correct, are you trying to say that one such comment in such a long time necessitated your rejoinder :

quote:
Mishei, who has so often interrogated others about why they post and where,

really Ska..even by your own admission it was YOU who initiated the comment and I that responded...hardly an interrogation and that's based on whether this is as accurate as you recall.

So maybe its time to hang up the six shooter. You are shooting blanks on this one.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 02 June 2003 11:19 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ok for now.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 03 June 2003 01:42 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mishei:
Watch my language....Doc have you asked others here to "watch" thair language? And what words in this free wheeling forum are actually "verbotin" ? Please post the list of words that you cannot post on Babble.

I'll make it really crystal clear for you, Mishei.

I have never directly told someone anywhere on babble to "Fuck Off", or said "Fuck you" to them. Well, actually, I did say it once to Markbo. But only once.

I expect a modicum of courtesy and respect especially when I have done the same by keeping my language decent.

[ 03 June 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 03 June 2003 02:58 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
C'mon Dr. Conway, cut a fella some slack. Mish probably gets frustrated when the rest of us can't appreciate his passionate, reasoned arguments.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 June 2003 08:37 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I'll make it really crystal clear for you, Mishei.

I have never directly told someone anywhere on babble to "Fuck Off", or said "Fuck you" to them. Well, actually, I did say it once to Markbo. But only once.

I expect a modicum of courtesy and respect especially when I have done the same by keeping my language decent.

OK but you never answered my question so I will ask it again. If you do not want to answer it that is fine just let me know.

quote:

I am just curious if it is only I that has the pleasure of being scolded by you or if this is your general demeanour regarding "cuss" words on Babble.

Try as i might I have not found any remonstrations from you to anyone else who uses the "fuck" word. And there are certainly many other than me who use it and use it often. So Doc why me as the role model for the anti-fuck-word campaign?

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 03 June 2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Little antonym confusion there, I think.

quote:
Mish probably gets frustrated when the rest of us can't appreciate his passionate, reasoned arguments.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 June 2003 12:44 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Aha! A Manichaean!
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 June 2003 12:49 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
mmmmmm right Smith, and Skdadl what can I say?
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 03 June 2003 01:48 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't know if "Reason" and "passion" are antonyms.

The philosphes were very passionate about their causes, yet they were able to apply Reason to their arguments. Voltaire had strong opinions, but he wouldn't have said, "READ MY LIPS, The monarchy is NEVER NEVER NEVER going to be legitimate, nor is the Church. PERIOD."

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 June 2003 01:50 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Voltaire was a monarchist. (His argument was cynical, of course, but he argued in favour of a monarch, the philosopher-king.) Hated the artistocracy, of course, and especially he hated the Church.
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 03 June 2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't know if "Reason" and "passion" are antonyms.

No, but "role model" and "scapegoat" are, pretty much, and Mishei used one in place of the other.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 03 June 2003 02:22 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh yeah, skdadl, I said Voltaire wouldn't say, "The monarchy is NEVER NEVER NEVER going to be legitimate" didn't I?

Manichaean....hmmm, the Devil and God inhabiting the same world equally, or something like that? I know it's got something to do with dualisms, anyway.

Ever read "Montaillou," about the Cathars before the Albigensian Crusades? Manichaeism (sp?) pops up there a bit.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 June 2003 02:26 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I know, al-Q, I know ... Oh, you guys, this has got quite funny, really.

But interesting, none the less. I haven't read that book, al-Q (book, yes?), but I've heard bits and pieces about the Cathars over the years, and been interested.

April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 03 June 2003 03:14 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Montaillou, the Promised Land of Error," Emmanuel LeRoy Laudrie, I think. Had to read it for a college class, but it proved unexpectedly fascinating. Pierre Clergue, the priest who slept with almost all the women of his congregation... ahem. Anyhow, great read.
From: Help, I'm stuck in the USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 June 2003 03:53 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No thread drift here
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 June 2003 03:55 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
First the tide
Rushes in
Plants a kiss
On the shore ...

etc.

Does anyone remember what this thread was about anyway?

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 03 June 2003 04:10 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I dunno but this ebbing is much more interesting. Jerry Colonna does a good "Ebb Tide."

Here's a site on heresies that mentions the link between Cathars and Manichaeans

quote:
Absolute dualists (Bogomils, Languedoc) two gods, one good who is God (light, spiritual) one bad who is Satan (dark, physical, corrupt)

I recall a Medieval history lecture, long long ago, when the Prof mentioned that the word "Bogomil" came from the word "buggery," a practice apparently not discouraged by the sect.

One of the fair maidens in class asked what "buggery" means. The stodgy old Oxford guy was too taken by surprise to give a clear reply.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 June 2003 04:17 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Does that mean that "Languedoc" also originally comes from the name of a god? I didn't know that.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 03 June 2003 04:25 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
One of the fair maidens in class asked what "buggery" means. The stodgy old Oxford guy was too taken by surprise to give a clear reply.

I'm as tired of Christopher Hitchens as the next babbler, but in a recent Slate column he has an anecdote -- more probably an old joke -- suggesting that some stodgy old Oxford guys have more cool than this, or at least did once upon a time:

quote:
At Oxford, where two rivers meet, there is a private stretch of the bank (or there used to be) called "Parson's Pleasure." Since Victorian times, this shaded resort was reserved for male dons who wished to swim and sunbathe in the nude. A barrier prevented any stray punts or boats from interrupting this idyll, and women and girls understood that this retreat was off-limits. One day, however, while the river was higher and faster than usual, a ladies' boating party was swept through the barrier and into the all-male backwater. Shrieks and giggles from the boat, and a sudden, protective downward reaching of the hands on the part of all bathers on the bank. All but one. The late Sir Maurice Bowra, Hellenist and epigrammist, raised his hands to shield his craggy visage. There they all stood or sat until the fair intruders had sailed past, whereupon a general outbreak of sheepishness occurred, punctuated by Bowra saying: "I don't know about you chaps, but I'm known by my face around here."

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 03 June 2003 08:48 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Interesting thread drift! Languedoc is the language of Oc (Occitania), no gods involved. As for the F-word, any interesting translations or expressions in languages known to babblers?
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 03 June 2003 09:28 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Geez Louise, lagatta, the F-word thread drift is in the "Thong" thread. C'mon, really.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 03 June 2003 09:57 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Try as i might I have not found any remonstrations from you to anyone else who uses the "fuck" word. And there are certainly many other than me who use it and use it often. So Doc why me as the role model for the anti-fuck-word campaign?

People don't normally tell me "FUCK YOU!"

Well, Slick Willy did once, but he blew a gasket that day and peppered his posts with the f-word.

Audra turfed him shortly thereafter. I've always been curious as to just why he blew a gasket anyway.

Now, you go and blow a gasket, swear at me, and I'm supposed to just sit there and take it?

Nuh-uh. I expect to be treated with a basic level of courtesy and GOD DAMN RESPECT, Mishei.

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 June 2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Nuh-uh. I expect to be treated with a basic level of courtesy and GOD DAMN RESPECT, Mishei.

Respect is earned Doc. That said, i have the same expectation here.

That said, anger is a true and honest human reaction to perceived wrong-doing. Using harsh language at times, is IMHO, catharctic and necessary. You may have to lower your threshold to harsh language. It has little to do with personal respect and a whole lot more to do with anger and reaction.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 03 June 2003 10:32 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't care if it was the goddamn Grand Admiral of the Universe himself who came down and said in boldface "FUCK YOU!!" to me in response to a post of mine that was not antagonistic.

I'd still demand some basic courtesy and respect due me as a human being.

Now I can't find the post anymore where you swore at me, so you probably edited it. Either that or you swore at skdadl, and you have, by the way, in the past, sworn at her, over here.

quote:
When can we expect you data on the 3000plus other members of Babble? Or is this research relegated to me alone. If so it is a wierd if not spooky fetish this targetting of one poster on babbler for all this special attention.

As we scientists say, "you're a special case".

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 04 June 2003 08:49 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrConway:
I don't care if it was the goddamn Grand Admiral of the Universe himself who came down and said in boldface "FUCK YOU!!" to me in response to a post of mine that was not antagonistic.

I'd still demand some basic courtesy and respect due me as a human being.

Now I can't find the post anymore where you swore at me, so you probably edited it. Either that or you swore at skdadl, and you have, by the way, in the past, sworn at her, over here.

As we scientists say, "you're a special case".

You see Doc the qualification you add about antagonism is the key here. I believe in the heart of my hearts that the very few times I have sworn here on Babble I WAS ANTAGONIZED. I would have done it for no other reason. Indeed I have noted that many many people here are (as they should be permitted) quite free with their use of language on babble but you choose to target only me. Doc, your agenda is clear to me when you engage in this kind of personal targetting.

BTW, the link you attached shows unreservedly how I felt anatagonized.

Now for your false accusation that I removed or edited my swearing at you. No I did not and I must say it is more than typical of you to falsely accuse me of this. More sad actually that you would stoop to such attempts at trying to villify me.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 04 June 2003 10:14 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When you type "Fuck you" like you did on that thread it reminds me of that weird guy on Slackers jumping up and down in fury and doing a rather poor job of it.

Like I said, I fired up the search engine on babble and I could absolutely swear (pun not intended) that you swore directly at me. I can't find the post any longer, and the search engine is usually not that lousy.

By the way, there are very few things I don't like to be called. A liar is one of them.

[ 04 June 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 04 June 2003 11:25 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
By the way, there are very few things I don't like to be called. A liar is one of them.

Well if you don't lie you won't be called a liar. And I reiterate, I did not edit the post whatsoever. So I too do not appreciate it when you cast aspersions.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 04 June 2003 12:52 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh shit Mishei can't you just let it go?
You are a nice guy. Doc Conway is a nice guy. Just drop the bloody subject and go on to something else.

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 04 June 2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by clersal:
Oh shit Mishei can't you just let it go?
You are a nice guy. Doc Conway is a nice guy. Just drop the bloody subject and go on to something else.

Clersal look friend
I did not start this . your suggestion is better put to Doc. he was the one that made the comments and I responded. Im quite willing to drop it in fact in another thread I asked Doc to PM me about this!!!

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 04 June 2003 04:25 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I couldn't care a flying fig who the hell started it. JUST STOP.IT IS SO BLOODY BORING.
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 04 June 2003 06:01 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Clersal, why don't you take this up with Mish by PM?

Why is everyone shouting?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 June 2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just in case - is anyone curious about why I'm leaving this open in the Middle East forum?

It's because if this same "you started it!" "no you started it!" "but you said this BEFORE I said that!" "yeah but that's because you said this!" starts up in another thread in this forum, I can just say, "Hey, this discussion is taking place over in THIS forum."

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 04 June 2003 07:58 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
At the risk of bad taste... a tennis game of "you started it"s is sadly appropriate for the Middle East forum.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 04 June 2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:
At the risk of bad taste... a tennis game of "you started it"s is sadly appropriate for the Middle East forum.
I hear you

April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 04 June 2003 11:32 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Michelle?

You're brilliant.

Carry on.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 June 2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks. And I love your "from" line. You US babblers should form a support group.
April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 04 June 2003 11:42 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oooh, oooh, yes. "What are your strategies for survival in a country run by - not only vicious fanatics, but stupid vicious fanatics?"
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 June 2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And then, at the end of each meeting, you all have to chug a six-pack of Molson's.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 05 June 2003 12:21 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In the extra-tall cans, too.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 05 June 2003 03:02 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What the hell is all this levity doing in the Middle East forum?

Everybody get back to fighting!

NOW!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 June 2003 11:15 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I thought we were having thread drift. I protest the drift away from thread drift!
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 05 June 2003 11:47 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Let's get this sucker back on track

quote:
THE CATHARS WERE RIGHT!

Washington, 9 July — The entire American press today published photos of the physicist Marcel Schein, a professor at the University of Chicago, his blackboard and his "anti-proton," a mysterious particle of cosmic matter which was detected last winter with the help of a balloon suspended 30 kilometers above Texas. In doing so, he has made one of the greatest discoveries of modern science. The anti-proton, sought for years by physicists all over the world, is the opposite of the proton. The proton is the nucleus of the hydrogen atom, and, in consequence, constitutes the basic element of all terrestrial matter. A collision between a proton and an anti-proton will result in mutual destruction. Thus the anti-proton will be capable of destroying all matter composed of protons. In essence, this will be "anti-matter." Nevertheless, it appears impossible for them to combine with enough force to destroy the planet. (Combat - 10 July)

CONCLUSION

- The new government of Guatemala will disallow the voting rights of illiterates. (Le Figaro - 9/7)

- General Carlos Castillo Armas, head of the rebels who have gained victory in Guatemala, has been name president by the military junta. (Paris-Presse - 10/7)

- Castillo Armas defines his politics: "The justice of the firing squad. (L'Humanitié - 14/7)

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 June 2003 12:04 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Now that is my kind of website. First it reminds you that we should all be scared to death. Then it makes you laugh. But then suddenly you remember that you're laughing mainly because you're scared to death.

I hope the sun clears the yardarm soon.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca