babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » A bigger, better Taliban?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: A bigger, better Taliban?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 29 May 2003 05:33 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
On May 2 influential Mullah Murtada Sadr, son of an ayatollah famously murdered under Saddam, called for Sharia law in Iraq. "The banning of alcohol and the wearing of the veil should be spread to all and not only to Muslims," Sadr told followers in Kufa, near Najaf. "Alcohol and the display of a woman's body are forbidden for us Muslims, as they are for Christians, upon whom I call to give up these banned things." In Baghdad Imam Mohammed al-Fartussi upped the ante on May 16, threatening those who show "indecent films" and "sinful women" who consort with foreigners, especially Americans. "If in a week from now they do not change their attitude, the murder of these women is sanctioned (by Islam)," Fartussi raged. "This warning also goes out to sellers of alcohol, radios and televisions. The torching of cinemas would be permitted."

Shiite militias that control Baghdad's vast Sadr City slum are already enforcing the mullahs' diktats. Sheik Kadhem al-Fartusi, who asserts that "Islam and all religions forbid alcohol," runs a local gang that beats liquor vendors and men who refuse to grow beards. "He's the primary shaker and mover here," U.S. Special Operations Maj. Arthur P. Vidal told The Times. Special ops troops pay Fartusi's religious police with "bricks of Iraqi dinars."

Presidents Reagan and Bush I armed and funded similar men with identical religious and political beliefs in Afghanistan during the 1980s and 1990s. The result was Al Qaeda, the Taliban, Osama bin Laden (news - web sites), September 11, 2001. So why the hell are we doing it again?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=127&ncid=742&e=7&u=/ucru/20030527/cm_ucru/operation_iraqi_eradication

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 29 May 2003 05:40 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Alcohol and the display of a woman's body are forbidden for us Muslims, as they are for Christians, upon whom I call to give up these banned things.

Hmmm.. dunno about the Bible's take on a woman's body, what with all the "laying with" and the "begatting" and such, but I'm pretty sure it's OK with alcohol. Didn't Jesus make some water into some??

At any rate, I hope we/the U.S. isn't funding such obvious intolerance. (Are they?)

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 May 2003 08:16 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have but two words: "Oh, crap."
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 29 May 2003 08:23 PM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mr. Magoo: AFAIK, in Islam, the Old Testament is in, but Jesus is out. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Besides, as Mohamad Khan has pointed out elsewhere, Islam is interpreted privately, meaning all of this crap is offered purely on the authority of the cleric's personal status.

I could be wrong on that too...

In Salam Pax's weblog, he commented recently that it would be a disaster for liberal or moderate Muslims and secular Iraqis if the US pulled out right now, because the extremist mullahs have a lot of currency, and the result would be another Iran.

[ 29 May 2003: Message edited by: verbatim ]

From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 May 2003 09:14 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Mr. Magoo: AFAIK, in Islam, the Old Testament is in, but Jesus is out. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Not quite... according to this, Jesus is considered a prophet, is quoted at length in the Qur'an, etc. So he's in, I guess.

Just how far in, I have no idea, and doubtless it varies depending on what branch of Islam you follow, what your local Alim has to say, and so on and so forth.

Edited to add:

Jesus is not, of course, the son of God in Islam.

(And WingNut, my dear fellow (PBUY)... we've got some wicked side-scroll here. Edit your link, please!)

[ 29 May 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca