babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Forget about any right of return

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Forget about any right of return
statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 28 May 2003 08:11 PM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Forget about any right of return
ROSIE DIMANNO

the star article

quote:
But for all its fortitude, this self-contained Israeli biosphere is still demographically fragile. Which is why Palestinian "right of return" can never be accepted by any Israeli government, even the most leftist-skewed, as a prerequisite to peace and a component of a Middle East solution. To expect otherwise, to demand it — as new Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas, himself a displaced refugee from Safed, continues to do — is so unrealistic, so foolishly dreamy, that one must question the sincerity of those who insist upon its inclusion in any peace discussions.

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 28 May 2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think Rosie has explained this issue quite well.
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 28 May 2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think it's rather remarkable that DiManno blames Arab states for the plight of the Palestinians and completely overlooks the deliberate policies of ethnic cleansing undertaken by the Haganah and especially the Irgun during the 1948 war. It's very unlikely that even a majority of the 1.8 million refugees would want to return (just as only a fraction of the Jewish diaspora has moved to Israel). Let there be some sort of process by which a list can be compiled of those who wish to return and then see how many of those people can be accomodated before saying "none is too many".
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 28 May 2003 10:22 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Typical anti-Palestinian claptrap, which apparently is this woman's wont.

Putting aside the merits of the question, it always amazes me that people who have lived in the region as refugees for, what is now, generations, are considered, in effect, aliens while a Jew from Brooklyn can move to Israel without question and settle down in an illegal settlement or outpost on the west bank. Isn't there something wrong with this picture?

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 28 May 2003 11:17 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well anyone with even the most tenuous claim of being Jewish has a right to return because our ancestors lost a war almost 2000 years ago and fled or were deported from the region. Palestinians have no right to return because they or their parents or grandparents lost a war 55 years ago and fled or were deported from the region.

Clearly, the Palestinians have to wait another 1900 years before they can invoke their right to return.

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 28 May 2003 11:48 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Artful lies for the sake of peace

RICHARD GWYN

Another star article perhaps weighed more fairly

quote:
In effect, Sharon was denying the defining Zionist premise that Israel was founded as, "A land without people for a people without land." Instead, and sounding astonishingly like his Labour predecessor, the assassinated Yitzhak Rabin, Sharon reminded Israelis of the moral price they have been paying as occupiers. "Holding 3.5 million Palestinians is a bad thing for Israel, for the Palestinians and for the Israeli economy."

(It matters little that Sharon's declaration almost certainly was motivated less by concern about high moral questions than by the hard practical challenge that within a decade or so there will be more Arabs than Jews within the borders of today's Israel).

If Israelis are now, at last, being told the truth, Palestinians and Arabs are about to have to face the same test.

Can you argue?

That's a big if and I anyone who has a lack of faith in Sharon I understand

However

quote:
Right after its divisive decision last weekend to support the U.S-backed "road map" for peace negotiations — thereby publicly accepting for the first time a two-state solution — the Sharon government voted, overwhelmingly, that Palestinian rejection of their long-standing "right of return" for refugees become an integral part of the road map negotiations.

Quite certainly, this step was taken with Washington's prior approval.

This change in the original road map would mean that agreement to abolish the right of return for refugees would become a pre-condition for the whole negotiating process, rather than be delayed to its end, and very likely then be rejected, as Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat did in the Camp David talks.

For Palestinians, a right of return to Israel of their refugees (originally 700,000, now grown to more than 3 million) represents an equivalent myth to the "land without people" of Zionists.

In practical terms, this has always been an impossibility. Israel would cease to be a Jewish state if it allowed all Palestinian refugees to return.

The Palestinians' enduring attachment to this right of return, though, has always had a profound political and psychological dimension. It has been a way of denying Israel's legitimacy. It denies Israel's right to exist in the Middle East at all, as opposed to individual Jews living there.

The truth, instead, is not merely that Israel exists in fact but that it has an unchallengeable right to exist. Discussions about a two-state solution thus will henceforth have to begin with both sides accepting the legitimacy of the other's state.

Don't you people see now???

Its got to go both ways.

[ 28 May 2003: Message edited by: Justice ]

(Edited by Michelle only to fix the URL and get rid of side-scroll)

[ 30 May 2003: Message edited by: Michelle ]

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 28 May 2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think the idea is that Palestinians should not have the "right of return" to pre-1967 Israel proper. They would still be free to move to the other 80% of the historic mandate of Palestine meaning all of what is now Jordan (aka Palestine East), the West Bank and Gaza. Similarly, the historic Jewish kingdom of 2000 years ago included most of what is now Jordan and Syria. I think that virtually all Jews in the world have renounced any claim on Amman and Damascus.
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 28 May 2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Stockholm

Your absolutely right.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 29 May 2003 01:39 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's sad that they require this form of racial segregation. Sadder still that those of us who regret the segregation and would like to see it ended, in addition to being told it's not going to happen (and I agree, it won't, at least not now), are told we're stupid or racist (yes, the anti-segregationist side is racist) or even genocidal.

The right of return isn't practical at this time. At least, I really don't think it is. But the principle behind it is sound. And it's really too bad that can't be acknowledged. When Mishei says "I want Israel to live," he means "I don't want too many Arabs in Israel. I want the right of return to Israel for people whose ancestors were there 2000 years ago but not for people whose ancestors were there 55 years ago. I want special privileges for one ethnic group over another." That is what that means. And that's racial privilege. It simply is. And I can see the practicality of it, but it's pretty ridiculous to claim it isn't what it patently is.

[ 29 May 2003: Message edited by: Smith ]

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 29 May 2003 03:02 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

[ 30 May 2003: Message edited by: Justice ]

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 29 May 2003 08:38 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Justice, you can post as many quotes as you want, reasonable explanatory, it makes no difference. These folks who demand the so-called right of return to Israel for Palestinians could care less. They are single-focussed with little sympathy for the state of Israel and it's survival as a Jewish state.
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 29 May 2003 08:51 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who is being racist really?

Excuse me, but that makes no sense. Of course Israel cannot absorb 1.8 million people all at once. BUT if 1.8 million Jews from the diaspora decided that they wanted to immigrate to Israel en masse, they would be welcomed. That is my entire point. Israel's "survival as a Jewish state" is its survival as a non-Arab state, ergo its success in keeping the Arabs out, simply because they are the wrong race. The "none is too many" approach is racist. It simply is.

quote:
Given the amount of aid (approximately $5.5 billion since 1993) the PA has received, it is shocking and outrageous that more than half a million Palestinians are being forced by their own leaders to remain in squalid camps.

Hmm. 5.5 billion since 1993? I seem to recall reading that Israel gets over $3 billion A YEAR from the USA, no strings attached. Of course, this isn't worthy of mention.

quote:
It's O.K. for Arabs to kill Arabs and make them suffer it's all Israel and the US's fault right.

This has nothing to do with the Arab states. This isn't about who is to blame for the Palestinians' plight; it's about whether any of the Palestinians should be allowed to return to the homes they abandoned or were forced to leave. You say no, because they are the wrong race. It's really quite simple.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 29 May 2003 09:38 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Scroll! Scroll!

Someone fix the scroll!

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 29 May 2003 11:03 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Hmm. 5.5 billion since 1993? I seem to recall reading that Israel gets over $3 billion A YEAR from the USA, no strings attached. Of course, this isn't worthy of mention.

So what it's not enough? The point is Even if they were getting 10 billion a year they would still live like that and no not because the Israeli's destroy every thing they build but because the PA would rather spend it on buying weapons, Mercedes, fixing up their mansions and brain washing children to hate whether it's through national TV or at school.

quote:
This has nothing to do with the Arab states. This isn't about who is to blame for the Palestinians' plight; it's about whether any of the Palestinians should be allowed to return to the homes they abandoned or were forced to leave. You say no, because they are the wrong race. It's really quite simple.

It's not enough ask whether they deserve to go home or not. You must ask how this, will this affect Israel? Do the Israeli's deserve a home in Israel? And if Israel ceases to exist, will there situations improve simple because they can now move home?
You see it has everything to with the Arab states; Israel can't fix all their problems. Ever if you think it's partially to blame and it should.
Until people are going to wake up and demand human rights be fixed in these countries, it is hypocritical to make out Israel worse or even equate. The intentions would (be, such as in this case of the Arab radical leadership and some other anti-Semites) to destroy Israel or simply naive I don't understand how this problem needs to be fixed and the long term affects of this proposal.
People must be treated like people not as means to an ended. Refugees such as suicide bombers are being used as tool and not being treated like people. Israel can not fix this.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 29 May 2003 11:07 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Justice, please get rid of the long url that is causing such dreadful sidescroll.

Thank you.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 29 May 2003 11:09 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Justice, you can post as many quotes as you want, reasonable explanatory, it makes no difference. These folks who demand the so-called right of return to Israel for Palestinians could care less. They are single-focussed with little sympathy for the state of Israel and it's survival as a Jewish state.

I'm not asking them to be sympathetic with Israel; I'm asking them to be sympathetic for the Palestinians. These are people we're talking about not tools. The problem is not that get sub-human treatment from Israel. Israel makes an effort to treat them humanely, but it is very difficult to treat someone who has been turned into a tool, as human. If they only loved their children too.
"I may one day forgive them for killing my children .but I'll never forgive them for making me kill theirs" Golda Meir

[ 29 May 2003: Message edited by: Justice ]

[ 29 May 2003: Message edited by: Justice ]

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 29 May 2003 11:37 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
In truth, Palestinians are being asked to concede very little.
In truth, Rosie is either ignorant or a liar or a racist or all three. Take your pick.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 29 May 2003 12:06 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, Lord, horrible sidescroll, horrible.

quote:

So what it's not enough?

No, it's just that there's a context for these things, and in context it's not particularly generous.

quote:

The point is Even if they were getting 10 billion a year they would still live like that and no not because the Israeli's destroy every thing they build but because the PA would rather spend it on buying weapons, Mercedes, fixing up their mansions and brain washing children to hate whether it's through national TV or at school.

What does this have to do with the right of return?

quote:

It's not enough ask whether they deserve to go home or not. You must ask how this, will this affect Israel? Do the Israeli's deserve a home in Israel? And if Israel ceases to exist, will there situations improve simple because they can now move home?

I didn't say I thought it was a good idea to give 3 million people the unconditional right of return to Israel proper. (Although in truth, I don't know how many of those people would actually choose to go back.) Practically, it doesn't make sense. But your reasoning offends me.

quote:

You see it has everything to with the Arab states; Israel can't fix all their problems. Ever if you think it's partially to blame and it should.

Uh, what? I don't know where this is coming from. Where do you get the idea that we expect Israel to fix the Arab states' problems? What, because they're all Arabs, they're all the same? (This is the same argument used to suggest that the Arab states should have absorbed all the Palestinian Arab refugees - why? Because they're the same race? I agree their behaviour has not been exemplary, but that isn't really the issue here.)

quote:

Until people are going to wake up and demand human rights be fixed in these countries, it is hypocritical to make out Israel worse or even equate.

Irrelevant. No one is doing that. No one is bringing up the Arab states but you.

quote:
People must be treated like people not as means to an ended.

Ah, an end. Like maintaining Israel's Jewish majority despite the demographic reality of the region? That kind of end?

quote:

I'm not asking them to be sympathetic with Israel; I'm asking them to be sympathetic for the Palestinians. These are people we're talking about not tools. The problem is not that get sub-human treatment from Israel. Israel makes an effort to treat them humanely, but it is very difficult to treat someone who has been turned into a tool, as human. If they only loved their children too.

Wow. Nice racist generalization there.

quote:

"I may one day forgive them for killing my children .but I'll never forgive them for making me kill theirs" Golda Meir

Wasn't she the same person who told them they didn't exist?

tyoung
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3885

posted 29 May 2003 12:07 PM      Profile for tyoung        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If they only loved their children too.

What a blind, hateful comment. There can be no reasoning with this thinking.

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 29 May 2003 12:10 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You know, I really wish we had more pro-Israel posters on this board. I'm not anti-Zionist and I don't want to be, but it's pretty disturbing when all the Zionist arguments I encounter end up boiling down to racism, paranoia and hate. I don't think it's supposed to be that way, but that seems to be what we get.
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 29 May 2003 12:10 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This side-scroll is an inJustice!
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 29 May 2003 12:12 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What a blind, hateful comment. There can be no reasoning with this thinking.

I'm talking about governments and not talking about parents or a whole ethnicity

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 29 May 2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fix the side scroll, Justice, don't you get the message?
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 29 May 2003 12:25 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I'm talking about governments and not talking about parents or a whole ethnicity

Right.

tyoung
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3885

posted 29 May 2003 12:31 PM      Profile for tyoung        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Israel makes an effort to treat them humanely

What effort?

quote:
There is credible evidence of serious violations of international humanitarian law and human rights by Israeli forces in Jenin.

Amnesty International

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 29 May 2003 02:04 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by tyoung:

Amnesty International

Seems as though you forgot this part of the quote.

quote:
By the same token the responsibility of the Palestinian Authority and Palestinian armed groups must be determined. Deliberately targeting Israeli civilians violates the fundamental right to life. Those responsible for the suicide bombings, including those who assisted these heinous acts must be held to account and brought to justice.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 29 May 2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ah, so if we can prove that the Palestinian Authority has done bad things, it means that Israel has not done bad things.

What a binary world you live in, Mishei.

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 29 May 2003 02:27 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mishei:
By the same token the responsibility of the Palestinian Authority and Palestinian armed groups must be determined. Deliberately targeting Israeli civilians violates the fundamental right to life. Those responsible for the suicide bombings, including those who assisted these heinous acts must be held to account and brought to justice.

Yes. Palestinian militants must be held accountable for their crimes, and none of us has ever said otherwise. And Israel must be held accountable for their crimes against Palestinians.

Since any registered rabble-rouser can start a new thread, suicide bombings could be discussed here:

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 May 2003 08:15 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Israel gets $3 billion a year? BUT EGYPT GETS FIVE BILLION A YEAR... HUK HUK HUK

The above is of course my well-larded sarcasm regarding the deflection of arguments about US funds reaching Israel.

Egypt, as far as I know, doesn't take the $5 bill it gets every year and then turn around and invade the Sudan.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 29 May 2003 09:48 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Egypt gets $5 billion a year from the US? If that's the case, US foreign aid is pretty strangely distributed, with half of it going to those two states.

As I understand it, the aid that goes to Israel comes with fewer strings attached than aid anywhere else. However, my source on this (Zunes) is a bit outdated.

April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 29 May 2003 11:07 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As I understand it, it is indeed true that the lion's share of U.S. aid goes to Egypt and Israel.
From: Help, I'm stuck in the USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 29 May 2003 11:47 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why Egypt?
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 May 2003 11:54 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, the Egyptian government -- which after all made war on Israel at least four times -- signed a peace treaty with Israel in 1979 or thereabouts. The government already faced considerable internal opposition from Islamists -- the Muslim Brotherhood et al -- but this only redoubled their fury (leading to Sadat's assassination in 1981). So the US, I suppose, wants to do what it can to prop up the existing government, on the theory that the likeliest replacement should that government fall might attack Israel again.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 30 May 2003 09:13 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here is the foreign aid breakdown for 1998...I'll look for something more recent. Israel received $3 billion and Egypt was a close second with $2.1 billion. It's interesting to note that third place (Ukraine) receives about $200 million.

Ew! I linked a chart from the Heritage Foundation! Double Ew!

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 30 May 2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The scroll on this thread is driving me crazy. Can it not be fixed!!??
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 May 2003 11:03 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Justice needs to fix the url about five posts from the top.
tyoung
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3885

posted 30 May 2003 12:17 PM      Profile for tyoung        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Seems as though you forgot this part of the quote.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not forget that part of the quote, but it does indicate that both sides seem to lack integrity when it comes to respecting basic human rights, despite what our friend Justice says, don't you think?

More on aid to Israel:

quote:
In addition to nearly $3 billion in direct aid, Israel usually gets another $3 billion or so in indirect aid: military support from the defense budget, forgiven loans, and special grants. While some of the indirect aid is difficult to measure precisely, it is safe to say that Israelÿs total aid
(direct and indirect) amounts to at least five billion dollars annually.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 30 May 2003 01:38 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just saw the side-scroll and fixed it.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 30 May 2003 01:57 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yay!
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 30 May 2003 11:05 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
tyoung, can I get you to help out on the Israeli Budgeting thread?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 31 May 2003 12:35 PM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
here's a link to http://al-awda.org/ -- al-awda -- a palestinian right of return group.

quote:
Urgent Al-Awda Action Alert: Defend The Right to Return

For Immediate Release
24 April 2003

TALKING POINTS:

*The PLO leadership must affirm a firm stand on the Palestinian refugees' right to return.

*The Palestinian right to return is an inalienable right, guaranteed by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, The Geneva Conventions and UN Resolution 194.

*According to international law, no agreement, negotiations or parties which purport to trade away the right to return or any other inalienable rights can have any legal basis and cannot bind or compel the Palestinian people to
end the struggle for the fulfillment of their rights.

*Any attempt to abrogate the rights of Palestinian refugees would set a
disastrous precedent in international human rights law, and provide a clear
signal that ethnic cleansers who expel civilians from their homes, steal their property, and prevent refugees returning for long enough can expect tohave their illegal territorial conquests blessed with international legitimacy.

*Implementation of the right to return as spelled out in UN resolutions is the core to a just resolution of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 31 May 2003 02:19 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
United Nations General Assembly Resolution 194 (III)
11 December 1948

The General Assembly,

Having considered further the situation in Palestine,

1. Expresses its deep appreciation of the progress achieved through the good offices of the late United Nations Mediator in promoting a peaceful adjustment of the future situation of Palestine, for which cause he sacrificed his life; and

Extends its thanks to the Acting Mediator and his staff for their continued efforts and devotion to duty in Palestine;

2. Establishes a Conciliation Commission consisting of three States Members of the United Nations which shall have the following functions:

(a) To assume, in so far as it considers necessary in existing circumstances, the functions given to the United Nations Mediator on Palestine by resolution 182;(S-2) of the General Assembly of 14 May 1948;

(b) To carry out the specific functions and directives given to it by the present resolution and such additional functions and directives as may be given to it by the General Assembly or by the Security Council;

(c) To undertake, upon the request of the Security Council, any of the functions now assigned to the United Nations Mediator on Palestine or to the United Nations Truce Commission by resolutions of the Security Council; upon such request to the Conciliation Commission by the Security Council with respect to all the remaining functions of the United Nations Mediator on Palestine under Security Council resolutions, the office of the Mediator shall be terminated;

3. Decides that a Committee of the Assembly, consisting of China, France, the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, the United Kingdom and the United States of America, shall present, before the end of the first part of the present session of the General Assembly, for the approval of the Assembly, a proposal concerning the names of the three States which will constitute the Conciliation Commission;

4. Requests the Commission to begin its functions at once, with a view to the establishment of contact between the parties themselves and the Commission at the earliest possible date;

5. Calls upon the Governments and authorities concerned to extend the scope of the negotiations provided for in the Security Council's resolution of 16 November 1948 and to seek agreement by negotiations conducted either with the Conciliation Commission or directly, with a view to the final settlement of all questions outstanding between them;

6. Instructs the Conciliation Commission to take steps to assist the Governments and authorities concerned to achieve a final settlement of all questions outstanding between them;

7. Resolves that the Holy Places - including Nazareth - religious buildings and sites in Palestine should be protected and free access to them assured, in accordance with existing rights and historical practice; that arrangements to this end should be under effective United Nations supervision; that the United Nations Conciliation Commission, in presenting to the fourth regular session of the General Assembly its detailed proposals for a permanent international régime for the territory of Jerusalem, should include recommendations concerning the Holy Places in that territory, that with regard to the Holy Places in the rest of Palestine the Commission should call upon the political authorities of the areas concerned to give appropriate formal guarantees as to the protection of the Holy Places and access to them, and that these undertakings should be presented to the General Assembly for approval;

8. Resolves that, in view of its association with three world religions, the Jerusalem area, including the present municipality of Jerusalem plus the surrounding villages and towns, the most eastern of which shall be Abu Dis; the most southern, Bethlehem, the most western, Ein Karim (including also the built-up area of Motsa); and the most northern Shu'fat, should be accorded special and separate treatment from the rest of Palestine and should be placed under effective United Nations control;

Requests the Security Council to take further steps to ensure the demilitarization of Jerusalem at the earliest possible date;

Instructs the Commission to present to the fourth regular session of the General Assembly detailed proposals for a permanent international régime for the Jerusalem area which will provide for the maximum local autonomy for distinctive groups consistent with the special international status of the Jerusalem area;

The Conciliation Commission is authorized to appoint a United Nations representative, who shall co-operate with the local authorities with respect to the interim administration of the Jerusalem area;

9. Resolves that, pending agreement on more detailed arrangements among the Governments and authorities concerned, the freest possible access to Jerusalem by road, rail or air should be accorded to all inhabitants of Palestine;

Instructs the Conciliation Commission to report immediately to the Security Council, for appropriate action by that organ, any attempt by any party to impede such access;

10. Instructs the Conciliation Commission to seek arrangements among the Governments and authorities concerned which will facilitate the economic development of the area, including arrangements for access to ports and airfields and the use of transportation and communication facilities;

11. Resolves that the refugees wishing to return to their homes and live at peace with their neighbours should be permitted to do so at the earliest practicable date, and that compensation should be paid for the property of those choosing not to return and for loss of or damage to property which, under principles of international law or in equity, should be made good by the Governments or authorities responsible;

Instructs the Conciliation Commission to facilitate the repatriation, resettlement and economic and social rehabilitation of the refugees and the payment of compensation, and to maintain close relations with the Director of the United Nations Relief for Palestine Refugees and, through him, with the appropriate organs and agencies of the United Nations;

12. Authorizes the Conciliation Commission to appoint such subsidiary bodies and to employ such technical experts, acting under its authority, as it may find necessary for the effective discharge of its functions and responsibilities under the present resolution;

The Conciliation Commission will have its official headquarters at Jerusalem. The authorities responsible for maintaining order in Jerusalem will be responsible for taking all measures necessary to ensure the security of the Commission. The Secretary-General will provide a limited number of guards for the protection of the staff and premises of the Commission;

13. Instructs the Conciliation Commission to render progress reports periodically to the Secretary-General for transmission to the Security Council and to the Members of the United Nations;

14. Calls upon all Governments and authorities concerned to co-operate with the Conciliation Commission and to take all possible steps to assist in the implementation of the present resolution;

15. Requests the Secretary-General to provide the necessary staff and facilities and to make appropriate arrangements to provide the necessary funds required in carrying out the terms of the present resolution.

Resolved at the earliest practicable date those whishing to live at peace with thier neighbors

Israel is not obligated to do so until it can facilitate security efficiently for the accommodation of such mass group people. Israel does not have to let in those who maybe a security risk "those who do not want to live in peace" Israel does not have to let in. And Israel may try and find another solution or reach another compromise other then return.

No where are the word "must" or "has to" used. And for good reason too.

[ 31 May 2003: Message edited by: Justice ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca