babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » A Call To Bring The Settlers Home To Israel

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: A Call To Bring The Settlers Home To Israel
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 25 May 2003 11:51 PM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jewish Alliance For Justice and Peace

quote:
FOR THE SAKE OF ISRAEL'S SECURITY, BRING THE SETTLERS HOME
For the past 35 years, more than 200,000 Israeli citizens have been induced by special economic incentives to settle in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. A recent comprehensive survey* of settlers found that nearly 80% were motivated by a desire to create better lives for themselves and their families and not by ideological or religious reasons. That dream, however, quickly became a nightmare of constant terror, sniping, murderous incursions into settlements, and suicide bombings. Simultaneously, enormous suffering has been inflicted upon the Palestinian population.

The relentless campaign to settle hundreds of thousands of Israelis amidst millions of Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip threatens the moral foundation of the State. One year after the 1956 Sinai Campaign, Israel¹s first Prime Minister, David Ben-Gurion explained to IDF officers the reasons for Israel¹s withdrawal from the Gaza Strip and the Sinai Peninsula. Nearly fifty years later, his speech serves as both warning and grim prophecy.

[I]t was clear that our remaining in Gaza, while the entire world ostracized us would lead to ... finding ourselves in a hostile sea of terrorism. Our military authorities would have had to shoot terrorists on a daily basis. ... We would not have been able to withstand this. For the State of Israel, such a reality would have become a catastrophe ... . Possibly, this would have destroyed us, not militarily, but morally - and in my opinion our morality underpins our very existence.

David Ben-Gurion, Yihud ve-Yi'ud (Tel Aviv) 1971 p. 294
(Translation: Dr. Shai Feldman and Michael Davis)

The settlers have never enhanced Israel's security. On the contrary, their vulnerability to attack has resulted in the loss of nearly a thousand Israeli soldiers and civilians in the last 35 years and hundreds in just the past two years. Those who live on land expected to be negotiated as part of the new State of Palestine -- especially those in settlements that are distant from Green Line Israel and are surrounded by much larger Arab populations -- are an obstacle to peace; their continued presence prevents a viable solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 26 May 2003 06:56 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I had wondered how many were ideologues and how many were there for economic reasons.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the ideologues, but I don't think they need it, because dying for a piece of land is very much part of their plan, if not their children's.

I've never understood how the civilian areas are supposed to create a "buffer," myself. It seems to me the Israeli government and army spend a lot of time defending those settlements - buffering the buffer, as it were.

I hope that one day Israelis, Jewish and otherwise, will be able to settle in Palestine if they so choose. But not like this.

April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 26 May 2003 07:00 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I feel a great sympathy for groups like the Jewish Alliance for Justice and Peace. As a leftist in the US, I know how hard it is to live under an aggressive right-wing government. One has to watch its misjudgements, injustices and sometimes atrocities, all the while feeling that one should somehow be able to stop it but not being able to. The fact that under such conditions, people continue to raise the banner of social justice and peaceful solutions gives me some hope for humanity, at least.
From: Help, I'm stuck in the USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca