babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » My faith in the American People is restored

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: My faith in the American People is restored
Ron Webb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2256

posted 14 May 2003 09:24 PM      Profile for Ron Webb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
... and my hostility toward the Bush administration has deepened.

I came across a survey that was done just days before the official beginning of war with Iraq. (I say "official" beginning because American planes were already bombing Iraqi missile bases etc. at least two weeks prior to March 19. Why that wasn't considered an act of war is something I've never understood.)

The main focus of the survey was an assessment of attitudes toward the U.S., as seen from various other countries. However, the survey also asked Americans what they thought of the prospect of war under various conditions. The detailed results are here: http://people-press.org/reports/print.php3?PageID=683 . You need to scroll down about three-quarters of the way to see the section ("FINAL U.S. TOPLINE") that caught my attention.

Over and over again, the survey indicates that a clear majority of Americans DID NOT APPROVE of unilateral military action:

Questions 5 and 6 show that 59% of Americans are generally in favour of war -- but that drops to a mere 38% if their allies don't support it. 16% give conditional support if the allies are on side, and 30% oppose war under any conditions. That makes 38% in favour of unilateral military action, versus 46% (16 + 30) against it.

Question 8 shows that 54% of Americans thought that Bush should wait for a UN resolution before acting, as opposed to 35% who felt that UN support was unnecessary. It's also interesting to note that the former (pro-UN) group was almost evenly split on whether a veto at the UN should take precedence over a majority decision by the U.S. and its allies. Apparently a great many Americans feel as I do that a simple majority, however obtained, is good enough, and vetos are pretty much irrelevant.

Finally: in Question 11, Americans say by a 56% to 37% margin that the U.S. did not have enough international support to justify military force against Iraq.

It's ironic that George W. Bush, in his rush to bring democracy to the people of Iraq, would so violate the spirit of democracy in his own country.

[ 14 May 2003: Message edited by: Ron Webb ]

CyberNomad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2926

posted 14 May 2003 09:54 PM      Profile for CyberNomad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Over and over again, the survey indicates that a clear majority of Americans DID NOT APPROVE of unilateral military action:

Ron Webb, you're a little late ... it did happen. If the "clear majority" disapproves, then they'll have a chance to rectify the situation by voting Dubya out of office. (Just don't bet on it.)

From: St. Catharines ON | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 14 May 2003 10:02 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's not like they voted him in the first place.
From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 15 May 2003 01:52 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by xrcrguy:
It's not like they voted him in the first place.

Is that so?

Remember that NOBODY was decisively elected, and Bush sqeaked by.

My point is, if Bush is so illegitimate, then who is the rightful leader of the USA?

Poll results are hardly a good indication of true public opinion. We'll see what the American people think when the next election comes.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca