babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » The New Oil

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The New Oil
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 07 May 2003 01:32 PM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sure, oil was a reason behind the U.S. invasion of Iraq. So was building the U.S. military presence in the Middle East. But there was a third, equally important motivation that’s getting little attention, even as it threatens to become the world’s most contentious issue: water. Experts predict that wars of the future will be fought over this most basic resource. But given the precedent set in Iraq, the future may be now. >by Raywat Deonandan
http://www.rabble.ca/news_full_story.shtml?x=21444

From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Decorator
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3985

posted 07 May 2003 02:02 PM      Profile for The Decorator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The US will run out of water sooner than later. Guess where they will want to get it from?

I have no problem selling water to anyone, as long as it is on our terms. Unfortunately, the US will not let anyone dictate terms to them for anything.

My solution? Canada should recognize this threat, increase the militarization of the country and implement some scorched earth tactics should the unthinkable happen. Because, look who we're dealing with here.

[ 07 May 2003: Message edited by: The Decorator ]

From: U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi, you ugly! You ugly! | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 07 May 2003 03:54 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
what kind of superpowers does "the decorator" posess?
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 May 2003 04:30 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Terrific article, Rundler.

In the Middle East, they not only want access; they want the consolidation of their power that comes with being able to deny access. Very clever.

But over here ... they will just want access.

My basic position on hopelessly terrifying situations is: Tunnel! Dig in, everyone!

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 07 May 2003 10:44 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
For the 10 millionth butterfruckin' time, water is not like oil.

Oil just sits there. You yank it out of the ground, refine, sell it, boom.

Water is a flow. It moves from place to place. It exists in a dynamic equilibrium as part of something called the hydrologic cycle.

If you want to disrupt this, the fastest way to do it is move the water out of its equilibrium state.

Why do you guys think the Rio Grande isn't even a real river anymore by the time it hits Mexico? Cuz all the American states above it have been sucking the water out for irrigation and public water consumption.

Now don't turn around and tell me "desalination". That takes expensive equipment and a lot of energy, and you need to do something with the mountains of salt you get. You can only sell so much of it anyway.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Decorator
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3985

posted 08 May 2003 01:02 PM      Profile for The Decorator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Willowdale Wizard:
what kind of superpowers does "the decorator" posess?

The power of persuasion.

From: U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi, you ugly! You ugly! | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 11 May 2003 02:41 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Decorator:
The US will run out of water sooner than later. Guess where they will want to get it from?

I have no problem selling water to anyone, as long as it is on our terms. Unfortunately, the US will not let anyone dictate terms to them for anything.

My solution? Canada should recognize this threat, increase the militarization of the country and implement some scorched earth tactics should the unthinkable happen. Because, look who we're dealing with here.

[ 07 May 2003: Message edited by: The Decorator ]

Increasing military spending? That is a great idea.

Despite recent events, overall Canada is still a close ally if the United States. Unless we do something a bit worse than call them bastards, I don't think they will invade.

F*** around with us by doing something similar to what they did with softwood lumber if we try to charge them too much for water? Yes. FUll scale invasion? I very much doubt it.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 11 May 2003 11:01 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Youare defending the US on the softwood lumber?

Good thing you are a Canadian in Canada selling out your own nation and sucking on a foreign power. In the States they would call you a traitor and maybe beat the shit out of you.

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 12 May 2003 01:52 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingNut:
Youare defending the US on the softwood lumber?

Good thing you are a Canadian in Canada selling out your own nation and sucking on a foreign power. In the States they would call you a traitor and maybe beat the shit out of you.

Defending them on softwood lumber??? Heavens no! It is an awful protectionist policy. I'm more in favor of free trade.

I was simply predicting what might happen if why try and charge them too much for water (when it becomes über-expensive, that is). If they are willing to do it with little provocation now, just wait until we really start to try and screw them over.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 May 2003 01:54 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who says we'll even give them any water, let alone sell it?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca