babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Is Sharon changing

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Sharon changing
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 24 April 2003 05:46 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This article in the left progressive Ha'aretz is instructive.

Ariel Sharon: Has he changed?

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 24 April 2003 05:54 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I read an analysis of that already. The analysis suggests he gave the interview for foreign, American, consumption.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 24 April 2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes Wing of course you would say that. You can never have anything good to say about Sharon so par for your course. You are so predictable that your position on Israel is beginning to lack any credibility .
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 24 April 2003 06:02 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I didn't say anything, mishei. I only reported to you what I had read. What is predictable is your jumping off the handle at absloutely nothing.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 24 April 2003 06:05 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And of course what u found to report to us just happened to be a negative assesment...
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 April 2003 06:05 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You both realize, of course, that the two of you have just become candidates for the next entry to the Thread Titles thread?

Is Sharon Changing Mishei? Well, Mishei?

Is Sharon Changing WingNut?

Oh. It suddenly occurs. What have I done?

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 24 April 2003 06:09 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It is and was the only assesment I read. And again, I read it. I didn't write it. Nor did I comment on the conclusion.

You asked a question and I provided you with the one answer I have encountered. If you don't want answers, mishei, don't ask questions.

Again, it seems you are incapable of reasoned discussion even when it is you who invites discussion. In fact, you haven't even addressed the meat of the issue of your own question or if he was just addressing a foriegn, english speaking audience.

Clearly discussing the issue was never your intention.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 April 2003 06:22 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, now that I've read Mishei's link, I am left wondering: what, exactly, did Sharon say?

The link is more an evocative editorial than a report. Unless one catches all the references, especially to Beit El and Shiloh, one is left wondering.

And there's this:

quote:
those who think Sharon will behave like de Gaulle by ending the occupation and evacuating the settlements are wrong, but ... also ... those who think Sharon will never make a move are also wrong. Those who think Sharon will bring peace are wrong, but so are those who think Sharon will not take a few initial and important steps on the road to peace.

I do believe that that column says that Sharon is not quite going to measure up to De Gaulle as an ideal ex-colonizer.

De Gaulle, leaving Algeria, as an ideal. God help us all. And Sharon won't quite be that. God help us all.

Youngfox
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3750

posted 24 April 2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Youngfox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It looks like Sharon has changed his public relations strategy for sure. He is well aware that American public needs to see a obstinate hawk go to the "great pain" and personal sacrifice of appearing to give a shit about peace. I think his legacy of monstrosity through state sanctioned terrorism is firmly intact.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 24 April 2003 06:28 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Well, now that I've read Mishei's link, I am left wondering: what, exactly, did Sharon say?

It is in reference to an interview he gave where he said Israel would have to make "painful sacrifices" for peace. He didn't give specifics on what those painful sacrifices would be.

[ 24 April 2003: Message edited by: WingNut ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 24 April 2003 06:40 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I find it odd that mishei keeps harping on babblers' focus on Israel, yet he has started almost 50% of the current threads on the "Middle East."

Just an observation...

Oh, and will Sharon change? (Another curious thread, as Mishei has said in the past that he is critical of Sharon - but then he SAYS he is opposed to the occupation as well).

I doubt it.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 April 2003 08:11 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Okay, Mishei, same lecture as the one I gave WingNut. He's allowed to disagree, or in this case report opinions he's read that disagree without having aspersions cast on his motives for doing so. Good grief. Does every thread have to become a spectacle? Like geez, get a room.

Thanks for your self-control in this case, Wingy, I really appreciate it.

And Qa'bong, do you think maybe you could start a thread in rabble reactions if you want to talk about how many threads Mishei has started in the Middle East forum? Thanks.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 April 2003 02:03 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Like I said, it was "just an observation," and hardly worth commenting upon.
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 25 April 2003 02:59 AM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When I saw the thread title, I immediately though of a woman named Sharon changing her clothes. So now I'm outed as a pervert.
From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 25 April 2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I find it odd that mishei keeps harping on babblers' focus on Israel, yet he has started almost 50% of the current threads on the "Middle East."
In fact a number of months ago I did express such a concern. However, certainly since the Middle east issue was moved to its own forum and after being more than convinced of the interest in the area i agreed that my concerns may have been misplaced.

Al I doubt very much that you will find any such concern expressed in the last few months. Why the need to bring up an old issue? hmmmm

Micelle, As Wing is permitted to bring up or respond in any way he wishes to my post I too have the right to comment on what appears to me to be his constant negative attitude (in company with many here) on Israel. Surely where evidence suggests that a poster has a particular position on a subject one can "cast aspersions" even on analysis' he/she may choose to post to buttrtess their position. Certainly Babble posters never hesitate to do that with me at every possible opportunity. I accept that as par for the course. If I feel I need to respond to such situations I do. Or are you saying that such comments are no longer Babble policy?

DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 25 April 2003 10:03 AM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What happened to all that ethnic cleasning that was supposed to go on during the Iraq war ? I remember people saying Sharon was gonna use the Iraq war as a cover. It's odd that nobody mentions that. Weird.
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 25 April 2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He did use it as a cover. Go read Amira Hass' descriptions of refugee camps being emptied of boys and men. Among other things. Of course, something so massive as a total expulsion would have been so visible it would have dwarfed the coverage of the war--kudos to those who work really hard to make sure that Israel doesn't get away with that sort of thing. But naturally, Sharon took the opportunity to step things up.
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 25 April 2003 11:26 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Based on Sharon's actions, I've interpreted "great pains" to mean continued expansion of settlements, continuted protection of the more radical tent settlers, targetted killing of a few international observers, continued work on the apartheid wall, continued calls for the removal of Palestinian leadership (through politics and assassination), and the mass detainment of many more young men and boys in refugee camps. Great pains indeed, but for who?
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 25 April 2003 11:49 AM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
continued calls for the removal of Palestinian leadership (through politics and assassination)

What Palestinian leaders have they assassinated ?
Where was the ethnic cleasning you guys were talking about ?

[ 25 April 2003: Message edited by: DaddySno ]

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 25 April 2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If you can't recognize ethnic cleansing amidst crowded refugee camps, continued land grabs, and indiscriminate attacks which kill many more bystanders than alleged terrorists, then we can't help you, daddysno.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 26 April 2003 08:47 AM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That's an easy way to avoid a question.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 26 April 2003 09:44 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not really. Stop avoiding the answer.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca