babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Arianna kicks butt

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Arianna kicks butt
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 18 April 2003 01:54 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What utter nonsense. In fact, the speedy fall of Baghdad proves the anti-war movement was dead right.

The whole pretext for our unilateral charge into Iraq was that the American people were in imminent danger from Saddam and his mighty war machine. The threat was so clear and present that we couldn't even give inspectors searching for weapons of mass destruction -- hey, remember those? -- another 30 days, as France had wanted.

Why the anti-war movement was right

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 April 2003 02:20 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Who's been handling our war PR, Osama bin Laden? The language and imagery are all wrong. Having Tom DeLay gush about our "army of virtue" at the same time we're blowing up mosques is definitely not sending the right message to a Muslim world already suspicious that we're waging a war on Islam.

Yup.

CyberNomad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2926

posted 18 April 2003 03:15 PM      Profile for CyberNomad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's hogwash.
quote:
Islamic extremists must be having a field day signing up recruits for the holy war they're preparing to wage against us.

The unintended consequences have barely begun to unfold.

What a delusional mind.
quote:
Why not just call him "Head Bwana?"

Swahili! In Baghdad?

So, what's Arianna doing at the corporate-trough? You can find her book, Pigs at the Trough -- How Corporate Greed and Political Corruption are Undermining America at:
Powells.com -- $22.20
Amazon.com -- $15.40
Barnsandnoble.com -- $17.60
Books-a-million -- $16.39
Wordworth -- $18.70

All are big, BIG corporations.

One would think that an author who is devoted to the destruction of the corporate world would, at the very least, not live off the avails of such an entity.

From: St. Catharines ON | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 April 2003 03:29 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What a delusional mind.

How do you know, CyberNomad? The permanent establishment of US military bases in Saudi Arabia proved a great recruiting tool for Al Qaida. How do you know the invasion and, say, medium-term occupation of Iraq won't prove similarly infuriating to Islamists already inclined to distrust the US?

The short answer, I suspect, is that you don't know, any more than I do. It's too soon to tell. But it's also too soon to dismiss the possibility.

quote:
One would think that an author who is devoted to the destruction of the corporate world would, at the very least, not live off the avails of such an entity.

(emphasis added)

How do you know this? And even if it were true -- which I strongly doubt -- of what relevance would it be to her arguments?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
CyberNomad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2926

posted 18 April 2003 03:46 PM      Profile for CyberNomad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
'lance, please read her book -- if nothing else, it would add to her pocketbook.

As to how I know, allow me to rely on the 'lance principle, as found here:

quote:
But the idea of military dictatorship in Nigeria is not far-fetched, as it's happened before.

A good principle to live by. Life-experience ... what a wonderful guide.

[edited to slash the /B tag]

[ 18 April 2003: Message edited by: CyberNomad ]

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 April 2003 03:52 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Your point, CyberNomad, helps to make my point. Not surprising, as you use one of my points to make your point. What goes around, and all that.

Of course, history never repeats itself -- not exactly. But it can be a good rough guide, if you look carefully at specifics and don't get wrapped up in trying to produce prophecy.

quote:
'lance, please read her book -- if nothing else, it would add to her pocketbook.

I'll ask again. Even if Arianna Huffington has anti-corporate views -- which your sneers alone won't convince me of -- how does this fact discredit her predictions as to what might happen in the Middle East?

[ 18 April 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
CyberNomad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2926

posted 18 April 2003 04:05 PM      Profile for CyberNomad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
how does this fact discredit her predictions as to what might happen in the Middle East?

"Predictions"? Surely, you do not mean that I should quote the finest, most revered Astrologers still living? Or, perhaps, Nostradamus?

Predictions! Since when do progressive have come to rely on predictions? Yes, 'lance, I do sneer at this kind of hogwash presented as fact.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 April 2003 04:11 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I didn't think you could, or would, answer my question, CyberNomad.

I don't go in much for "predictions" either, as it happens -- and as you'll notice if you read my first post on this thread, where I say I don't know what's going to happen. But then, if you read things carefully, we wouldn't be having this futile argument.

What's "hogwash," exactly? The idea that "the unintended consequences have barely begun to unfold"? (That's a phrase you single out for particular ridicule). But there are unintended consequences to absolutely every course of action. The only question is what they'll turn out to be, and how significant.

You give no indication of knowing what the unintended consequences of this invasion will be, CyberNomad, or of wanting to discuss them seriously. Evidently all you want to do is pour scorn on anyone who suggests the invasion might produce something less than unalloyed good for the Middle East, the United States, or whoever.

[ 18 April 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 18 April 2003 08:59 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
CyberNomad, don't you owe slim an apology? Something about a big lie he never told. It was actually CNN and probably wasn't a lie either as the story made it through the Pentagon censors. I am beginning to think you are too small a man to apologize.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 April 2003 10:10 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
About earning money from the books one writes, and then publishes through BIG CORPORATE publishers:

It is so true, as CN instructs us, and so lamentable, so endlessly lamentable: critics, writers, and other artists should be willing to martyr themselves by working for nothing, whether the world around them changes or not. Nobody else will be expected to make such a sacrifice, but anyone critical of the way the world currently works should expect to starve virtuously, or be denounced by CyberNomad.

PS: CN, you naive person, you: you have listed there a bunch of booksellers. It would take me pages to expain to you how far any author is from any bookseller, but trust me, it's far. It would take me more pages to explain to the world how irrelevant even the publishers who manage to sell to those big booksellers are, but trust me, they are. You are fussing here over the sad sad sad dying embers of a once-noble industry, and you are pouring excrement down on it, and in many ways the industry probably deserved that, as most North American industries probably have and do ... But among all the sinners on this God-forsaken continent, I doubt that writers, publishers, and booksellers stand in the first ranks.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 18 April 2003 10:32 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Most of us pretty much starve virtuously anyway
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
DaddySno
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4002

posted 19 April 2003 09:35 AM      Profile for DaddySno     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What mosques were blown up ?
bakunin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3991

posted 19 April 2003 04:50 PM      Profile for bakunin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
unfortunately none with you in it... er, i'm not completely sure.
From: we may not convince you but we'll convince your children | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 21 April 2003 04:46 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Re: Book Costs.

Just for fun I sat down and worked out how much of the cost of the $7.50 paperback is the paper. (And I think book prices are just nuts anyway, but it's the rise in the cost of paper that really got the book prices going

If you take a 150-page standard paperback and assume that two pages equals one 8.5" x 11" sheet, and such paper costs 6 cents a sheet, then half the cost of the book is the paper.

The other $3.75 or whatever it is gets divvied up between the retailer, wholesaler, publisher and finally the author.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 21 April 2003 08:51 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
6 cents a sheet

Trust me, the paper is much cheaper than that. I have bought enough to know.

From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 21 April 2003 10:05 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I did say "assuming".

I should have noted that I was unconsciously factoring in the cost of printing with the paper.

They always tell you that laser printing in batch runs about 4 to 6 cents a page, so I figured that was the same for the offset printing cost, although I can readily imagine the blank sheets cost less.

(Edit after sober second thought)

[ 22 April 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 21 April 2003 11:04 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Relax Doc, I was just trying to further your case by suggesting they made even more on the books. I won't make that mistake again.
From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca