babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Ten more liberated in Mosul

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Ten more liberated in Mosul
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 15 April 2003 11:11 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Three witnesses questioned by AFP and casualties who spoke to hospital staff said US troops had fired on the crowd which was becoming increasingly hostile towards the city's new governor, Mashaan al-Juburi, as he was making a pro-US speech.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/nat/newsnat-15apr2003-71.htm

majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 15 April 2003 01:51 PM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Stunning. I said in another thread that I feared American forces would begin abducting Iraqi civilians under cover of night, but I honestly didn't expect them to begin by massacring crowds in broad daylight.

New Roman Empire? No, the New Mongol Horde!

Pathe Eton Hogg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3960

posted 15 April 2003 02:06 PM      Profile for Pathe Eton Hogg     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am sure that the crowd was armed to the teeth.
But then again, like the wmd there is no crowd to have been fired upon.

Did you think that the regime went to Disneyland?
There are plenty there that are going to work at disruption of any proggress and work toward reinstating the methods and the perks that go along with the oppression of the regime.

From: Iraqistan suburbs | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 15 April 2003 02:21 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
about 200,00 of them , heavily armed , wearing american uniforms.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 15 April 2003 02:21 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The interesting bit is that the governor felt compelled to make a pro-US speech knowing that the people he ostensibly governed over would probably not take it that well.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 15 April 2003 04:17 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I went to CNN to find the apology for this event, but it isn't being reported there yet. Quelle surprise, non?

I did read a report that stated that the soldiers were firing at snipers on rooftops. This was in an Aussie newspaper, and was not mentioned elsewhere, which immediately makes me dubious. I think the implication (unstated) is that the snipers were firing into the crowd. Nontheless, a forensic inspection of the bullets that killed and wounded people in the crowd would be useful (M-16 bullets versus Ak47 shells). I pretty much won't trust anything but hard evidence at this point.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 16 April 2003 12:48 AM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have been scanning news reports of the killings all day, and have noticed that "shootings" has become "firefight", and "rioting and stone-throwing" were the reasons the Marines delivered "äccurate fire" into the crowd. Oh, and someone allegedly had a knife, too.

Looks like the Americans have been taking crowd control lessons from the IDF!

Riots greet would-be leader of Mosul

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 16 April 2003 02:28 AM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
went to CNN to find the apology for this event, but it isn't being reported there yet. Quelle surprise, non?

Update: I tried to check various US stations this evening prior to midnight. I found one ticker-tape reference on one station (they said it was unclear who started the shooting), but no voice or video treatment of the event.

Maybe they are all waiting for proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 16 April 2003 03:18 PM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
More mayhem in the streets of Mosul. Iraqi police teaming up with criminal gangs? American troops say it's none of their business!

Six more fall in city's bloody streets

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca