babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » We don't need no evangelization...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: We don't need no evangelization...
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 12 April 2003 01:47 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Franklin Graham is the son of Billy Graham and a far more influential figure in the evangelical Christian community than Jerry Falwell or even Pat Robertson. Graham is viewed as the torch-carrier for his father, who is still among the most beloved figures in American Christianity. Moreover, the Graham family is close to Bush. Billy Graham led Bush to Christianity in the 1980s; Franklin Graham delivered the invocation at his presidential inauguration.

In addition to being publicly allied with the Bush administration, Graham also happens to be stridently anti-Islam. His list of anti-Islam comments is long; his most succinct was that Islam is a "very evil and wicked religion."

Graham is also, he says, "poised and ready" to send representatives of the charity he runs to Iraq as soon as possible. His primary purpose is humanitarian aid—providing food and shelter—but he also admits, "I believe as we work, God will always give us opportunities to tell others about his Son. … We are there to reach out to love them and to save them, and as a Christian, I do this in the name of Jesus Christ."

O dear...

[ 12 April 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 12 April 2003 02:41 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I find I have trouble with a lot of so-called "evangelical" theology. All of the "altar calls" and "conversion decisions" and such, seem to create a certain smugness with people that somehow "they" have done something "special" that others in the world have not.

Luther was very clear (and I believe the Bible teaches) that justification before God is a gesture entirely on God's part and many shouldn't claim any responsibility for it. To quote Paul (roughly): "For it is through grace you have been saved by faith. Not by acts, lest anyone should boast."

Of course for someone to hear the Gospel, someone has to speak about it. However, I just see a lot of the "tent and revivial meeting" stuff as the kind of thing that leads many folks to set aside the church altogether.

If the Grahams want to send material aid, I say great. If they want to build some churches and hold some worship meetings in Iraq, I say go for it. But if they think *they* are going to "save souls," then I believe they are trying to take the place of God. That, to me, is really frightening theology.

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 12 April 2003 02:47 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And worse politics, if they want to come in and try it in a Muslim army on the heels of triumphant, and triumphalist, Western armies. What an opportunity for propaganda on the part of fundamentalist mullahs.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SHH
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1527

posted 12 April 2003 04:16 PM      Profile for SHH     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I’ve run across several mentions over the last few months that suggest the mullahs are deeply afraid of a ‘crisis in faith’ among their believers. The assertions suggest that many Arabs are becoming irresolute in their commitment to Allah’s will, given their circumstances and all. I have no idea if this has any truth to it, but, after the events of the last few weeks, I could certainly understand how a believer might be vulnerable. “Why does Allah hate us?”

Graham might be seeking to take advantage of this moment. “O Dear” indeed.

From: Ex-Silicon Valley to State Saguaro | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 April 2003 05:01 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I do this in the name of Jesus Christ.

Of all the bloody nerve.

In my church, that would get you smited. (Smote?)

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 12 April 2003 05:03 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sigh. Smitten, dear skdadl. You know, like that time at the tea party when you and I first laid eyes... oh, never mind...
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 April 2003 05:06 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
psst, 'lance ...

*stage whisper*

Land sakes, but this is a Christian thread, 'lance! Please, watch your, uh, ...

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 April 2003 06:13 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How about "zapped" as opposed to "smote"?

I always did think that "zap" sounded so much more... descriptive, somehow.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 12 April 2003 06:24 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nah. Too modernist a feel. "Smote" is much more onomatopoeic.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 April 2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, "smote" is more biblical.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dr. Mr. Ben
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3265

posted 12 April 2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Dr. Mr. Ben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Zounds! I did smite-ally dite-ally!
From: Mechaslovakia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca