babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Remembering Deir Yassin

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Remembering Deir Yassin
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 09 April 2003 03:20 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
55 Years after the massacre

quote:
Primo Levi, the distinguished Jewish-Italian writer who survived Auschwitz and later, as some people believe, took his own life because his grief at the world we have become was too great for him to bear, with his death-camp wisdom said a curious thing. He said, with oracular directness, that today, the Palestinians have become the Jews of the Israelis.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
satana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2798

posted 09 April 2003 04:06 AM      Profile for satana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Deir Yassin Remembered
quote:
Early in the morning of April 9, 1948, commandos of the Irgun (headed by Menachem Begin) and the Stern Gang attacked Deir Yassin, a village with about 750 Palestinian residents. The village lay outside of the area to be assigned by the United Nations to the Jewish State; it had a peaceful reputation. But it was located on high ground in the corridor between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Deir Yassin was slated for occupation under Plan Dalet and the mainstream Jewish defense force, the Haganah, authorized the irregular terrorist forces of the Irgun and the Stern Gang to perform the takeover.

In all over 100 men, women, and children were systematically murdered. Fifty-three orphaned children were literally dumped along the wall of the Old City, where they were found by Miss Hind Husseini and brought behind the American Colony Hotel to her home, which was to become the Dar El-Tifl El-Arabi orphanage.

Part of the struggle for self-determination by Palestinians has been to tell the truth about Palestinians as victims of Zionism. For too long their history has been denied, and this denial has only served to further oppress and deliberately dehumanize Palestinians in Israel, inside the occupied territories, and outside in their diaspora.

Some progress has been made. Westerners now realize that Palestinians, as a people, do exist. And they have come to acknowledge that during the creation of the state of Israel, thousands of Palestinians were killed and over 700,000 were driven or frightened from their homes and lands on which they had lived for centuries.

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 09 April 2003 08:01 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 09 April 2003 08:38 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Deir Yassin was a terrible tragedy. There have been conflicting interpreations as to its magnitude but there can be no doubt that innocent people, Palestinians, were killed by the Irgun.

Here is an interesting piece on the conflicting issues at play.

Deir Yassin

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 10 April 2003 12:35 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Deir Yassin Remembered
April 09, 2003

Israel decided to mark the anniversary of the Deir Yassin massacre, by killing 7 Palestinians and injuring a further 48 civilians as Apache helicopters fired missiles at the densely-populated civilian neighborhood of al-Zaitoon in Gaza. It appears that Israel’s despicable methods have not changed much in the last 55 years, with the only exception being that the terrorist Israeli gangs have been transformed into a world class military that conducts its murders under the veneer of legitimacy.

http://www.miftah.org/

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 18 April 2003 04:24 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
April,18, 1996 - Anniversary of another massacre
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 18 April 2003 07:42 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wasn't familiar with the Primo Levi quote (or paraphrase, reporting some conversation of his) in the original post. Funny, I think I've read just about everything Primo Levi ever wrote. I wrote to the author of the article asking him if he could source that quote for me.

Both Primo Levi and Natalia Ginzburg were among the signatories to a declaration by Italian Jews speaking out against the Sabra and Chatila massacres and Israel's role in them. But I was under the impression that if he was depressed about many facets of the contemporary world's lack of historical memory, the deciding factor in his despair was above all the rise of "historical revisionism", or Holocaust denial.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 20 April 2003 07:14 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The southern village of Qana on Friday commemorated the 1996 massacre in which more than 100 Lebanese were killed by an Israeli artillery bombardment.
Mohammed Bourji, 13, was only six years old when he lost both his parents during the attack on two UNIFIL shelters where local residents were taking refuge from Israeli raids during an 18-day onslaught.

Survivors Remember Qana Massacre

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 20 April 2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thursday marked the Hebrew date of last years Passover Massacre.

Passover massacreAll these tragedies should serve as a bleak warning that peace is far better than war.

satana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2798

posted 21 April 2003 06:04 AM      Profile for satana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
All these tragedies give a bleak warning that without an end to racism there will never be peace.
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 22 April 2003 07:10 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Speaking of anniversaries...

It's been about a week since Mishei accused any babbler of antisemitism.

Ritalin?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 April 2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah well, I'm off my ritalin today. I'm sick of this kind of trolling. Thread closed.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca