FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Freedom

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Freedom
satana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2798

posted 08 April 2003 03:40 PM      Profile for satana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I heard an interview on BBC radio today where an Iraqi man was showing the reporter Playboy and Maxim magazines US troops were distributing saying how "This is the 'freedom' the US is bringing". It made me really sick. Did anyone else hear this?
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 08 April 2003 03:50 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
its ok , a quick baptising washes off all of the filth.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 April 2003 05:21 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I thought that was called Confession, redshift.

Not that we do that in my church. Not that I have anything against those who do, of course. God forbid I should interfere with anyone else's perverted repressed desires, or ways of relieving guilt over same.

Reminds me of an old anglo joke:

Two Oxbridge types are leaving a washroom together, one noting that the other hadn't bothered to wash his hands after visiting the urinal.

The former says to the latter: "At Eton, they taught us to wash our hands after peeing."

The other replies: "At Harrow, they taught us not to pee on our hands."

(Forgive me, but I feel that any feminist should be free to make jokes like that in any thread that mentions Playboy. No, satana, I am not impugning you; I recognize your own feminism.)

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 08 April 2003 05:28 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Not that we do that in my church. Not that I have anything against those who do, of course. God forbid I should interfere with anyone else's perverted repressed desires, or ways of relieving guilt over same.

Of confession in the Anglican church, my one-time spiritual "home" (though nobody ever accused that church of being a religious movement), the saying goes "All may; none must; some should."

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sisyphus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1425

posted 08 April 2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Sisyphus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But 'lance as a former Anglican, I recall that we confessed and were absolved of all transgressions every week. Don't remeber the whole thing any more, but in my churchgoing days there was a passage like "we have done those things we ought not to have and and left undone those things we ought to have done and there is no health in us". The Anglicans, eh! No need to get into specifics. Just, "We were very naughty, Lord. Forgive us. Thank You so much.". This prayer preceded the Eucharist and made sure that we were pure for the bread and wine.

Ahh, found it !

quote:
Almighty and most merciful Father,
we have wandered and strayed from your ways
like lost sheep.
We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts.
We have offended against your holy laws.
We have left undone those things
that we ought to have done;
and we have done those things
that we ought not to have done;
and there is no health in us.
But you, O Lord, have mercy upon us sinners.
Spare those who confess their faults.
Restore those who are penitent,
according to your promises declared to mankind in Christ Jesus our Lord.
And grant, O most merciful Father, for his sake, that we may live a disciplined, righteous and godly life, to the glory of your holy name.
Amen.

Funny, I have a soft spot for Anglican liturgy.

[ 08 April 2003: Message edited by: Sisyphus ]

From: Never Never Land | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 April 2003 05:48 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And thus, my sons, you were freed to go forth and ... SIN AGAIN!!! for the whole week!!! until next Confession, eh?
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 08 April 2003 06:16 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But 'lance as a former Anglican, I recall that we confessed and were absolved of all transgressions every week.

Yabbut, collectively and publicly, not individually. Much less embarrassing that way, don't you know? Mwaha. Quite.

quote:
... "we have done those things we ought not to have and and left undone those things we ought to have done and there is no health in us"...

Guh! Savage Flashbacks!

You know, I've been to Anglican services exactly twice* in the last 20 years, the last time for my grandmother's funeral in 1995, and I bet I wouldn't need to refer much to the ol' Book of Common Prayer even now. Of course the Alternative Service, which was just coming in when I was just going out, I wouldn't have by heart.

quote:
And thus, my sons, you were freed to go forth and ... SIN AGAIN!!! for the whole week!!! until next Confession, eh?

Dear skdadl, you must be joking. I didn't even discover sin until I'd gone away to university in Toronto, which followed shortly on my leaving ol' Mother Church -- or, since this is the Anglican church we're talking about here, ol' Great-Aunt-once-removed-that-no-one-in-the-family-is-very-close-to-anyway Church -- never to return. Not proper sin, anyway -- a few surreptitious Bradors and a little harsh Ottawa Valley homegrown back in the 'Prior hardly counted.

*(Whoops, I lie. Two Anglican weddings in the last couple of years. God hell! Begins to look like a pattern...)

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sisyphus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1425

posted 08 April 2003 06:25 PM      Profile for Sisyphus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Yabbut, collectively and publicly, not individually

Well of course, dear chap, one must maintain a certain decorum after all.
And sin is so vulgar, isn't it?

I mean, we shouldn't like to ruin a perfectly good morning at Church with any ghastly talk of sin or hell or, heaven forbid, God, what?

While many Christians are enfolded into a warm embrace by their Church, we were patted on the knee and told to "run off and be spiffing chaps" by ours.

From: Never Never Land | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elemennntal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3947

posted 09 April 2003 01:57 AM      Profile for Elemennntal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I heard an interview on BBC radio today where an Iraqi man was showing the reporter Playboy and Maxim magazines US troops were distributing saying how "This is the 'freedom' the US is bringing".

I believe it. One of my friends in Kuwait (working for Ockenden) has noted all the US military around and a bunch of them asked her if she wanted to play touch-rugby.

She replied that she didn't think she was built for it.

The Marine responded "Oh that's alright, we'd still get to touch you"

I've noticed a lot of the troops have been young, and coupled with that, ignorant about the region, the history of Iraq, etc...

The US/UK were just so happy to march into Iraq with all their toys, they forgot about sensitivity training and war-time decorum....

From: Dubai, UAE --- yeah THERE. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 09 April 2003 02:03 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
War and smut: two "industries" that rapidly advance communication and related technologies; two industries that demean and dehumanize; two industries that glorify "conquest." Perfect companions.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca