babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » An antidote for discrimination

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: An antidote for discrimination
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 06 April 2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Amnon Rubenstein is widely recognized by both Jews and Palestinians as a person keenly interested in creating a better world for both peoples.

In this op-ed piece he gives his antidote for diminishing discrimination in Israel and the PA.

An antidote for discrimination

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 08 April 2003 08:02 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But what is also needed is an effort by the Muslim community to change some of its ways of life: to prevent marriage between relatives; to increase the proportion of those attending school, both before compulsory kindergarten and beyond junior high school; to gradually reduce the birthrate; and to put a stop to the accepted norm of polygamy in the Negev.

So, in other words, they have to assimilate and become just like the Jews? Please. Drawing a link between the Israeli government treating all of its citizens equally, and all of its citizens having to conform to the same social mores is ridiculous. One might as well insist that Indians move off reservations and stop hunting and fishing because people living in remote regions and undertaking high risk employment are a greater drain on public funds.

Also, I note that while your statement leads one to believe the article is about equality in the occupied territories as well as in Israel, the article is really just about things happening within Israel proper. Nice to see that Israel is finally considering allocating equal amounts of money per child, no matter what their ethnicity, but how much is allocated for the children in the occupied territories?

quote:
On the other hand, the rate at which Bedouin teachers are recruited cannot keep pace with the rate of natural increase among the Bedouin population.

So his solution is for the Bedouin to have less children, rather than for the government to step up efforts to recruit Bedouin schoolteachers? He should just admit he's wetting his pants over the fact that the Israeli Arab population is growing faster than the Jewish population, so the demographics are going to shift on him. Maybe he should devote some effort to encouraging Jews to have more babies, rather than insisting that it's the Arabs that need to change their ways...

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 08 April 2003 09:08 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It never ceases to amaze me how the critics of Israel can never find anything positive in anything Israel may do . Alaways showing its dark side is too typical of so many here
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 08 April 2003 10:52 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What part of "Nice to see they're now allocating equal amounts of money per student", did you take as a critique of Israel, exactly? Here I go, trying to read the linked article critically, and respond intelligently to both the good and bad points of the article, and all I get back is a one-liner that doesn't even address what I wrote.

You're the one that said the article was about equality in Israel and the PA, when after reading it it's clear the author is only talking about Israel. He doesn't even tangentially refer to the occupied territories (ie, the PA), he's only talking about events in Israel.

Hey, I'm happy to see that Arabs and Jews in Israel have similar and high life expectancies. That's great, especially in light of the long-term inequalities he lists. I'm similarly happy to see that those inequalities are now largely a thing of the past. Welcome to the 20th century, and all that.

That doesn't change the fact that the author then turns around and says "All we need for complete equality is for those pesky Muslims to stop having so many kids and marrying people they're permitted to by law and their customs".

Mishei, you seriously need to replace your crap filter. Try asking yourself "If the situations were reversed and some Muslim was writing about the Jews having too many children, would I still agree?". By your current and past statements, I'd say that you wouldn't agree with that statement.

Now go ahead and ignore my main comments, pick on some single word that I've miquoted or misused, and then whine about how I'm puting words in your mouth.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca