babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » The Liberated

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The Liberated
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 04 April 2003 06:48 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
READ BEFORE LINKING:
quote:
Photo-Essay 1: Death and Casualty From Iraq

Editor’s Warning: The images in this series are horrific and depict the reality of injury and death in this US-led War against Iraq. Scoop is determined that its editorial policy will continue to serve truth, accuracy and honesty and that its reportage of this US invasion of Iraq will not be censored nor sanitised. Let us consider why this is so.

Consider these points: Is it right that the general public have access to the realities of what is going on in Iraq? Ought we to be determined to publish and present a true reality of warfare? Is it likely that images such as those of the US POWs will aid people to realise how chilling, how unfair, how cruel, how sick warfare is?

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0303/S00258.htm

redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 04 April 2003 08:46 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
i'm trying to imagine the kind of mind that sees this as acceptable collateral damage.
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 05 April 2003 01:23 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sick and disgusting. How would you feel if that was one of your relatives with their head split open, posted on websites all over the net????

Nobody ever denied there were civilian casualties, so why are you posting this kind of thing??

quote:
i'm trying to imagine the kind of mind that sees this as acceptable collateral damage.

Its even harder to imagine the kind of people who like seeing that kind of thing beacuse it bolsters their anti-war position. (I am assuming these individuals are a very small minority within the anti-war movement... God help us if that assumption is wrong!)

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Elemennntal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3947

posted 05 April 2003 01:41 AM      Profile for Elemennntal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Does this imagery de-sensitise the war and violence we know is associated with it, just for the mere fact it is so disturbing, the human mind must turn away and try to 'not think about it'?

Having said that, does that also create a situation where we 'refuse' to acknowledge the extent of the violence and the innocent casualties in order to 'protect' our own mental well-being?

I've seen war images on television in the Middle East during the 80s and early 90s, before certain channels created a proper format for their news.

Some of them horrific, and reminiscent of Holocaust images.. honestly. They were images never ever shown around the world.

These images here are just a sampling of what some of the region have been witnessing either personally or through the media for decades. It's part-in-parcel of where the anger comes from.

So is it wrong for the Western World to witness these images now?

I agree that for the families involved it is heart-wrenching that their relatives, and children are being 'paraded' on the Internet. But then what about the footage of WWII? The footage of children in Ethiopia? The footage of September 11th?

Just some thoughts...

From: Dubai, UAE --- yeah THERE. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 05 April 2003 01:47 AM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Anyone supporting this war should have these images indelibly inscribed into their lily-white irresponsible psyches. no one wants war you say, but some are prepared to let others do their killing while they play cheer-leader.
take your immoral self-righteous attitude back to CoNN TV. THEY'LL SHOW YOU A WAR YOU CAN STOMACH.

Tom Moore
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2139

posted 05 April 2003 03:06 AM      Profile for Tom Moore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Yup - that kid's been "liberated" (of his brains) thank you Dubya et al.

[ 05 April 2003: Message edited by: Tom Moore ]

From: location, location.. | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 05 April 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We've already been "treated" to a display of that image, Tom. Did you think about a warning and link first? Have you done much research on what constitutes trauma?
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 05 April 2003 03:38 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thank providence I have a BIG sheet of paper to cover up the monitor in cases like this. Addendum re: WingNut's post below...

I can't help it. I'm ultrasqueamish about pictures like that, although things like Stinger REALLY traumatize me, and Stinger isn't a war victim. (and no, I'm not going to tell you all what Stinger is because it's bad and getting stung is bad)

[ 05 April 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 05 April 2003 04:06 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Sick and disgusting. How would you feel if that was one of your relatives with their head split open, posted on websites all over the net????

It is someone's relative. And as it is done in your name with your support, what is your objection?

paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 05 April 2003 06:35 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wingy, excellent post. Reminds me of this.

Seeing "the enemy" or "the victim" as somehow "less than" one's own family or side makes the continued harm that much easier to do.

The Bush Leaguers count on it.

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca