babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » I'll drink to that!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: I'll drink to that!
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 03 April 2003 07:01 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Iraq, April 2 — In the giddy spirit of the day, nothing could quite top the wish list bellowed out by one man in the throng of people greeting American troops from the 101st Airborne Division who marched into town today.

What, the man was asked, did he hope to see now that the Baath Party had been driven from power in his town? What would the Americans bring?

"Democracy," the man said, his voice rising to lift each word to greater prominence. "Whiskey. And sexy!"

Exuberant Crowd's Most Urgent Request: Water

I read a report not to long ago about a bunch of Kuwaiti's commenting on the takeover of Umm Qasr (I think, or some town near Kuwait). These Kuwaitis were happy about it, asking when they could visit it. The reporter asked why they wanted to go there and they responded, "beer! girls!" Apparently the border town was a Las Vegas for the Kuwaiti's. The site I picked it up through mentioned it as if the Kuwaiti's were happy it was liberated from the Iraqi's. That left me scratching my head as it didn't make much sense to me considering Saddam has been in power for 20 years or whatever. That is a long time to be waiting for beer and girls. Even I'm not that hard core…

Then it hit me: this town before the war was a Kuwaiti destination because the American ally, Kuwait, didn't allow "beer and girls!"….

It had nothing to do with liberation, but a resumption of normal life in the Middle East, dictator or not.

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 03 April 2003 07:09 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have a friend who was a whiskey runner in Cairo for awhile. A very wild existance, apparently.
Elemennntal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3947

posted 04 April 2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Elemennntal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There are a lot of countries in the Middle East that have bars, pubs and restaurants that serve 'beer'... and the same for the such serving 'girls' too.

Most of these places though will not allow a local to enter in national dress (hence a quick change over before going out)

I'm not sure about a resumption to normal life, as there are hotel bars that serve alcohol in Kuwait, and plenty in the UAE, Qatar, and a couple other places. Saudi Arabia is the absolute no-no, with lots of people brewing their own in spare bathrooms.

A friend of mine passed on a very good sake recipe if anyone wants it

From: Dubai, UAE --- yeah THERE. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 07 April 2003 09:25 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I was pretty sure Kuwait was dry. Hotels around here could serve beer as well but I wouldn't know. Locals don't usually hang out in hotels (and sitting at home getting blasted on the local smuggled variety isn't quite he same, I'd image, as going to a bar)
quote:
The price was a little steep -- a cool $100 (U.S.) for the case of 24 cans -- but he was counting on the parched throats of the Kuwait-based journalists who hadn't seen a beer for many weeks because alcohol is banned there. He even had a block of ice to cool the beer.

Boosting Iraq's economy - at $100 per two-four
quote:
"Until the last day of Saddam Hussein's life, until I see him dead with my own eyes, we will be afraid of him. The fear is not like a shirt that you can take off and throw away. We have been afraid for 35 years."

PS: when journalists make pronouncements on beer (especially Canadian ones), I'm willing to trust them:

quote:
The Canadian was a grateful recipient of some beer from the cooler in The Globe and Mail's truck, sliding the cans into the voluminous trouser pockets of his fatigues.

Elemennntal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3947

posted 09 April 2003 01:49 AM      Profile for Elemennntal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
clockwork... these are journalists in Iraq.

Kuwait is not a dry country. I have friends working there now (for charity organisations) and hotels serve alcohol, including beer.

From: Dubai, UAE --- yeah THERE. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 09 April 2003 09:07 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And I didn't directly say you or your friends were wrong. What I was saying that, assuming your friends are foreigners and assuming foreigners stay in the same hotels, the Kuwaiti government may allow those foreigners to drink alcohol in foreigner hotels. And, I might add, Geoffrey York, the reporter in the first link may have filed that from Basra but I can guarantee you, since I happen to read him fairly often, that he has been in Kuwait before. I'm not saying your wrong, but I am saying I still think I'm right. This just could mean the good Islamic dictatorship (as oppose to all those bad ones) looks the other way in certain establishments… like police do in almost every country where the place is a tourist attraction (or relies on foreign works to service it's main industries).

Traces of alcohol in non-alcoholic beer lead's government to reassess allowing it

US State Department says alcohol prohibited

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 April 2003 09:14 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm not positive about this, but I think in Kuwait they allow Christians to drink wine in church services, and possibly in their homes too, although again, I'm not positive. A student who went to my former church, an international student from Kuwait who was a Christian, was telling me that, but I don't remember exactly what he told me was allowed and wasn't allowed.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca