babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Palestinian suicide bombers to stop during Iraqi campaign??

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Palestinian suicide bombers to stop during Iraqi campaign??
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 01 April 2003 12:15 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A Palestinian militia affiliated with Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement has decided to halt attacks against Israelis for the duration of the Iraq war, the group's West Bank leader said Monday.

Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigade To Stop Attacks During Iraq War

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 01 April 2003 12:21 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
All of the volunteers suddenly disappear?
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 01 April 2003 12:29 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, if you read the link, it's politics.

Remember, after the US went into Afghanistan, Israel started to crack down on Palestian militants. I guess someone learned a lesson...

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 01 April 2003 12:34 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think the Hamas will ignore this initiative.
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 01 April 2003 12:45 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, they aren't gonna stop. But then, my thinking of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict has progressed to a point where Hamas and al-Aqsa are no longer the same entity.

Al-aqsa has ties, apparently, to Arafat's Fatah movement.

And if this is true, you can see why I understand that someone in the Palestinian leadership learned the lesson of a year ago.

Al-Aqsa isn't an Islamic struggle type of thing supposedly...

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 01 April 2003 01:05 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Truly, I'm being a brat all around. Of course this is an important development, but on the other hand I think that many Palestinians will ignore this initiative, even those in Fatah, and move toward organizations that will support militant activity because feeling is so high. Also, many who are so inclined may actually go to Iraq to take the war to the US.
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 01 April 2003 01:45 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Possibly, but it's my thinking that potential suicide candidates are pawn scum (like that? instead of pond scum…). If I may be so bold, bombers only get dynamite (or whatever) strapped around their chest because they know someone affiliated with certain organizations that will strap dynamite around their torsos. So while al Aqsa refuses new recruits, it doesn't quite translate into Hamas recruits because the willing need to find Hamas connections as opposed to Fatah connections (which might be important given their ideological differences).

I don't live in the West Bank/Gaza so, really, I can't comment on recruitment techniques or the tentacles of each organization.

As to going to Iraq: again, you need an official source to get you there with at least a gun or whatever. Again, if there is no official support, most Palestinians might have to wait till after the Iraq war to blow themselves up. If the Palestianian leadership views US support as integral to peace talks than the PA is out. So that leaves the likes of Hamas to ferret people out to Iraq… but if al Aqsa refuses to bomb Israel during the conflict, they might think it's within their interest to keep suicide bombers targeted at Israel.

My armchair analysis suggests a lot of the willing will still be stuck in the West Bank/Gaza stip. But then, if I knew anything, I'd be on TV saying this….

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 01 April 2003 01:56 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
So while al Aqsa refuses new recruits, it doesn't quite translate into Hamas recruits because the willing need to find Hamas connections as opposed to Fatah connections (which might be important given their ideological differences).

My information suggest that one reason local leadership of Fatah began using suicide tactics was that they were loosing grass roots support to organization that were taking a more militant approach: Hamas and Islamic Jihad. This because, the perception was that Fatah was not taking the fight to the Israelis.

I saw an interesting report on elections for student councils in one of the Palestinian univeristies. Support went roughly along the lines of who had the most martyrs, and campaigners actively adveritized suicide attacks that they could attribute to their organization.

PLEASE HIDE THIS THREAD FROM MISHEI BY CALLING IT SOMETHING ELSE...

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 01 April 2003 05:48 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Suicide bomb a 'gift to Iraq'
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 01 April 2003 08:10 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I saw an interesting report on elections for student councils in one of the Palestinian univeristies. Support went roughly along the lines of who had the most martyrs, and campaigners actively adveritized suicide attacks that they could attribute to their organization.

MD you think this is good?

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 01 April 2003 03:52 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You draw the most bizarre conclusions, Mishei.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 01 April 2003 05:11 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You are too generous by half, doc.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 01 April 2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You are both too kind
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 01 April 2003 05:17 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You're all crazy-making.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 01 April 2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
MD you think this is good?

I think this is the unfortunate result of the siege mentality created by the occupatiion. People who would normaly not be ideological are driven into one camp or another. Their support is based on an individual organizations perceived level of reistance to the threat. The threat in this case being the illegal and immoral occupation of Palestinian land by Israel.

I would ask yourself why these kids are more concerned with killing Israelis rather than f__king each other, which is the normal activity for twenty something people. Perhaps the two are related: in order to sneak out to the field and 'do it' behind there parents backs thay have to pass an Israeli checkpoint. Ergo the checkpoint must be removed before normal activities can continue.

I personally am a big fan of f___cking, and so can not help but sympathize with these students plight.

[ 01 April 2003: Message edited by: Moredreads ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 02 April 2003 09:10 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
F___ing A!
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca