babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Peaceniks: Is Israel in the way of your 'World Peace'?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Peaceniks: Is Israel in the way of your 'World Peace'?
Barry Stagg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3814

posted 29 March 2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Barry Stagg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Like 1930's Europe, it seems many scolding peace advocates see a problem of the Semitic variety standing in the way of tranquility and prosperity. In my estimation, many advocates of Middle East peace would welcome the demise of Israel and see this rugged little European oasis of pluralism and democracy as the main impediment to an oil for peace entente with the Arab petro-dictatorships.

The real proponents of 'war for oil' are the closeted Western foes of Israel who amorally wish it and its people out of existence so that the countries with oil in the Middle East will stop being so angry with their Western customers.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 March 2003 01:47 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
As I am writing, we are waiting for silence. These days there is nowhere in the world where there is still continuous natural silence. Six years ago on Jonathan Miller's Alice in Wonderland, I can remember occasional delays. But not like this. Now, when there is silence, there is no sun. When sun, sound. High up above Fountains, a young man leading a man's life in the regular Air Force idly loops the loop hour after hour. Stuart, the boom operator, who has seen it all before, explains that the offending plane is practising stall turns. Innes Lloyd, the producer, phones the BBC. The BBC phones the nearest RAF base, Leeming, but they say it's not one of theirs. He could be from Leuchars or St Mawgan. At his speed here is only ten minutes from anywhere. But there he is, two miles up with all England spread out below him.

Alan Bennett, "A Day Out," in Writing Home, 1997.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 March 2003 02:39 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It is clear that the primary problem in solving questions of chromatography revolves around understanding that it is an endless compromise among several parameters.

The stationary phase - should it be silica, as in thin layer or gas chromatography? Should it be long carbon chains, as in liquid chromatography?

The mobile phase - should it be a polar developing solvent for thin-layer or perhaps a less polar one? Should it be nitrogen as a carrier gas, or the lighter hydrogen or helium for gas chromatography?

The detector - what are you trying to find out? Do you need to preserve the sample after it has been run through the column? If so then destructive detectors such as the mass spectrometer and flame ionization cannot be used.

And finally we come to the optimization of the flow of the compounds through the column. Too slow, and you have unacceptable band broadening due to random motion of the solute in the column. Too fast, and you again have band broadening due to poor equilibration between the mobile phase and the stationary phase.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 29 March 2003 02:45 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Cedar Waxwing
(Bombycilla cedrorum)

Over most of North America, the Cedar Waxwing is the most specialized fruit-eating bird. This bird's primary foods are fleshy fruits that are high in sugar content. Like tropical birds with this diet, Cedar Waxwings are social all year long, they nest in loose clusters, and at times they wander widely in flocks in search of temporarily abundant sources of fruit. Because of their reliance on summer ripening fruit for feeding their hatchlings, they are among the latest birds to nest in North America.

Cedar Waxwings range in summer across southern Canada from southeastern Alaska and northern British Columbia to central Ontario, southern Quebec, and central Newfoundland. They breed as far south as Maryland and Virginia (and in the mountains as far south as northern Georgia), across the northern United States to northern California. Lingering migrants are sometimes found south of this range as late as early summer, and within this range the species is highly nomadic and may not consistently be present year to year. Cedar Waxwings are most abundant in the northeastern United States, the Great Lakes region, and southern Ontario, with lesser centers of abundance in the coastal areas of southern British Columbia, Washington, and Oregon.

Typical summer habitat includes open woodlands, old overgrown fields, farms, orchards, plantations, and suburban gardens. These waxwings are absent from grasslands and deserts, except along river courses.

During winter, Cedar Waxwings range independently of either their breeding range or where they spent the previous winter. They wander so widely that it is hard to distinguish between wandering in search of food and their prolonged seasonal migration. Typically, however, large flocks of 30 to 100 birds, and exceptionally, flocks numbering up to 1,000 birds, move south on cold fronts or as fruit becomes locally depleted. Migratory flocks begin forming in August and depart the northern parts of the breeding range from late August to October. Adults migrate about one month earlier than hatch-year birds. The average distance traveled during migration is about 2,000 kilometers and the winter range can extend from southern Canada as far south as Costa Rica and Panama.

The fruit of junipers historically dominated the winter diet, especially in the northern parts of the winter range, and most Cedar Waxwings still winter in parts of the country where junipers grow.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 29 March 2003 02:50 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
At first, the pressure of myth consciousness requires appropriateness, which means that the writer is permitted to employ only
one mode: romance. According to Northrop Frye, who in “Anatomy of Criticism” divides Western literature into five modes,
the hero in romance is superior in degree to other men (not superior in kind as god, the hero of the first mode - the myth). If this
hero is superior only to other men, we are dealing with a knight, but if he is also superior to his environment, then we are dealing
with a saint.

-- Sanja Nikcevic, "Historical Plays in Search of National Identity in Croatian Theatre Today"

Mohamad Khan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1752

posted 29 March 2003 02:50 PM      Profile for Mohamad Khan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
who am i after the night of the stranger? i wake up from my dream,
frightened of the obscure daylight on the marble of the house, of
the sun's darkness on the roses, of the water and of my fountain;
frightened of milk on the lip of the fig, of my language;
frightened of wind that--frightened--combs a willow; frightened
of the clarity of petrified time, of a present no longer
a present; frightened, passing a world that is no longer
my world. despair, be merciful, death, be
a blessing on the stranger who sees the unseen more clearly than
a reality that is no longer real. i'll fall from a star
in the sky into a tent on the road to...where?
where is the road to anything? i see the unseen more clearly than
a street that is no longer my street. who am i after the night of the stranger?
through others i once walked toward myself, and here i am,
losing that self, those others. my horse disappeared by the Atlantic,
and by the Mediterranean i bleed, stabbed with a spear.
who am i after the night of the stranger? i cannot return to
my brothers under the palm tree of my old house, and i cannot descend to
the bottom of my abyss. you, the unseen! love has no heart...
no heart in which i can dwell after the night of the stranger...

From: "Glorified Harlem": Morningside Heights, NYC | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 March 2003 02:53 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fascinating points, all. But a particularly beautiful passage, Mohamed Khan. You don't give an attribution -- is that yours?
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 March 2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As Audra would say:

Brats.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca