babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Afghanistan omitted from US aid budget

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Afghanistan omitted from US aid budget
Oyster
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3374

posted 29 March 2003 12:44 AM      Profile for Oyster     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
BBC article.

quote:
The United States Congress has stepped in to find nearly $300m in humanitarian and reconstruction funds for Afghanistan after the Bush administration failed to request any money in the latest budget.
President Bush has even suggested a Marshall plan for the country, and the Afghan leader, Hamid Karzai, will visit Washington later this month. But in its budget proposals for 2003, the White House did not explicitly ask for any money to aid humanitarian and reconstruction costs in the impoverished country.
The US will spend over $16bn in foreign aid this year. The main beneficiaries will be Israel, Jordan and a number of anti-Aids programmes.

Why am I not surprised?

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 29 March 2003 12:55 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is it such a sunprise that the Washington ommitted this detail. They always forget to clean up after themselves.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 March 2003 03:11 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Hypocrites. Stinking hypocrites. They always talk a good game about committing money to a Good Cause (TM), and then they NEVER follow through.

Damnit, I'm still so damn mad I could chew up nails and spit out bullets.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca