babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Fifth Estate on Iraq

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Fifth Estate on Iraq
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 26 March 2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wow, did anyone else see the Fifth Estate tonight on CBC? If not it's repeated tomorrow on Newsworld (10pm eastern). The show had a really scary item on the Project for a New American Century complete with an interview with Richard Perle and a really devestating report on the Kurds, including the bombshell that Ronald Reagan killed a bill proposed during the Kurd genocide designed to punish Iraq if it didn't stop. The reason? Saddam Hussein was seen as a moderate by the Reagan administration.

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: Mycroft ]

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 27 March 2003 12:43 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Very scary.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 12:49 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I raised that in another thread. I couldn't help but wonder how many Americans would get the opportunity to see that type of reporting. Not on CNN.

(I am really hating freakin' flood control! Is there like a sudden increase in the number of DoS attacks on rabble or are they trying to annoy us severely?)

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 27 March 2003 12:56 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Might be one reason why Bob McKeowen decided to leave Dateline NBC and come back to the CBC.

Didn't Arthur Kent basically have to leave NBC after he produced a damning piece on the School of the Americas a few years ago?

redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 27 March 2003 01:23 AM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
all it takes is a contrast with the amerika press gang to make one appreciate the treasure CBC is in this country. No doubt the lip-movers and wwf fans feel differently but even don cherry is a tribute to the tolerance and sense of perspective that Canada is so blessed with. the piece was moving . seeing those little guys swinging a hammer trying to build a life made me wonder where they are today.
may the good lord keep them safe.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 27 March 2003 10:41 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Definitely. Even PBS's Newshour is totally inferior.

As for Bushite-Iraqi cooperation in the 1980s:

"The Commerce Department under Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush had long permitted U.S. companies to sell anthrax and other biological and chemical supplies to Iraq."

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0325-04.htm

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 27 March 2003 11:48 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
the fifth estate's website accompanying their documentary on the Kurdish genocide and the Reagan Administration's involvement.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/kurds/index.html

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 28 March 2003 12:14 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've emailed McKeown's former employer, Dateline NBC at dateline@nbc.com, suggesting they pick up and run his report on the Kurds. Not holding my breath.
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 28 March 2003 01:49 AM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
maybe its just dogged optomism but cnn's coverage tonight was starting to show some cracks in the official party line, IMHO. lot of talk about arab and independent coverage and divergence from the american view.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca