babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Even if it's clean, it's still a tragedy

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Even if it's clean, it's still a tragedy
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 20 March 2003 01:45 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Some of our naive-cynical pro-war contingent are going to make political hay even from the mere thought that this may be a quick, clean campaign. I would like to add my hope for the Iraqi people that it is going to be quick and clean--but even if it is, it doesn't make this war any less of a tragedy.

Under the most ridiculously optimistic viewpoint (which I do not share), this war will lead to no less than the Liberation of Iraq and it's swift and immediate transformation into a beautiful utopian paradise. But what even this will do, disastrously, is that it will legitimize a cycle of opportunistic liberation which is even more dangerous in the long run than Saddam Hussein. Because it means that cynical politics can now hijack the rhetoric of anti-oppression more easily than ever before.

Examine Saddam Hussein himself. He was supported by America, armed to the teeth by them. They backed him, kissed him, loved him, embraced him as their friend. And now, having used him, they are going to tear him down and take all the credit for it. And then they will have firmly ensconced the idea that this sort of thing is legitimate--that they can impose dictators by stealth and force and then claim a hypocritical credit for liberation that useful idiots like Can-Am, etc will be all too eager to give to them.

Liberation by such people must be opposed, because it is simply a license to perpetuate that cycle and cause more death and oppression in the long run than ever before. The evidence mounts and mounts that this is the case. I lay everything that happened to the people of Iraq these past years on their doorstep, and also the lives of everyone who is oppressed due to this liberation.

When liberation is liberation and not a cover for the vicious to pass off their agenda as benign with the help of "liberals", then I may reconsider my opposition to such things. Until then, bombing will never bring real freedom to the people of the world.

(But this is all hypothetical, of course. I am seeking to disarm the main justification for the bombing--liberation. It is not enough.)

From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 20 March 2003 01:48 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In other words, I should add, this means that no one will be allowed to liberate themselves unless US interests are unaffected. Not that it wasn't already that way, but the babble pro-war contingent is all too eager to provide a new, improved "liberal" cover for it.
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 20 March 2003 02:27 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Another negative consequence of opportunistic liberation ideology: now no inspections regime will ever be allowed to even start for any reason. That entire experiment is now dead, just as it showed promise to many of us as an alternative.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca