babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Peace process?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Peace process?
'larry'
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3504

posted 16 March 2003 11:20 PM      Profile for 'larry'     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It seems like most of the Israel/Palestine posts have been about specific tragic events as they occur, and not the 'bigger picture'.
I would be interested to see what babblers thought about the Oslo peace process and/or future chances for peace and a palestinian state.

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 17 March 2003 02:17 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not much repsonse on this thread, huh. Peace isn't a hot topic these days, unfortunately.
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 17 March 2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sure peace is a hot topic today but thats the point its a process doesn't happen over night.

Wish Arafat knew that, instead of dragging us backwards when he doesn't get exactly what he wants.

[ 19 March 2003: Message edited by: Justice ]

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 17 March 2003 10:00 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So, how is it that you establish that it is Arafat that is the problem, on what basis?
satana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2798

posted 19 March 2003 06:36 AM      Profile for satana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Arafat is a problem. He is willing to recognise Israel when Israel has no intention of recognising Palestinian human rights.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 19 March 2003 08:29 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I see, Arafat "the Saint" is of course not the problem.

It wasn't Arafat that rejected any peace overtures from Rabin and Barak.

It wasn't Ararfat that encouraged suicide/homocide bombings when he realized his error in not embracing Barak's offer.

It was not Arafat who brazanly provided financial resources for the continuing violence.

No, "St." Ararfat can never be held to blame.

This in no way absolves Sharon and certain policy decsisions he has made from any responsibility for the continued conflict. But to claim that "St." Arafat is not to blame...well I guess one only has to look at who made these absurd statements in the first place.

satana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2798

posted 19 March 2003 08:52 AM      Profile for satana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Welcome back, Mishei!
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 19 March 2003 10:26 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is it simply a coincidence mishei and I are back at the same time? I wonder.
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 19 March 2003 11:24 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Welcome back to both of you Have you been on holiday together? Now, behave
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 19 March 2003 11:32 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Maybe we are the same person ...
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 19 March 2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The world is strange so why not "MisheiNut"
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 19 March 2003 12:05 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In Hebrew, shouldn't that be 'Mishuggah'?
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 19 March 2003 12:47 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I never knew that "uggah" was nut in Hebrew.
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 19 March 2003 12:59 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Doesn't missuga or misshugah mean "nut" as in "mad person" in Hebrew? Whence the Yiddish "Meshuggah"?

In "The Truce", (La Tregua) Primo Levi has his friend, the crafty working-class Roman Jew Cesare, use an almost identical derivative from Romanesco, the Jewish-Italian dialect spoken in the Roman ghetto (and also written in modified Hebrew characters, like Yiddish and Ladino). It is a wonderfully bittersweet moment, as Cesare, always on the make (to survive, and also to chat up girls, unlike the shy and prudish intellectual Levi) is trying to sell something to Polish villagers and uses the word "mishuga"? (must look up the exact spelling). They all break out laughing as every Pole understood that word - but of course almost all the Jews had been exterminated.

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 19 March 2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Santana

I can bring you a ton of Proof that israel is not only willing to recognize palistinian human rights but also a palistinian state believe it or not. Just because it is unwilling to let it's own country be flooded with Palistinains doesn't mean it doesn't recognize there rights as I mentioned on another thread it wasn't the Israelis that created the Refugee problem.

Give me one peace of proof that Arafat is willing to recognize Israel prove to me not only that he does not support terorrisim but that he is also doing all what he can to stop it and not encourage it. Give me proof that they care about human rights. Give proof that they understand that they have not only rights but responsiblity as well.

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 19 March 2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Humanitarian aid in Palistine

Some of the Humanitarian Aid around the world

Magen David Adom Humanitrain Aid around the world

I Promoise a 100% that all that is writen in these sites is true.

Tell me one country that security is so fragile and is jeporodized every day and gives so much in aid around the world and even to it's advisaries.

There has even been cases and that is plural of victims of sucide bombers that have donated Organs to the palistinians. Many liters of Blood from israel has also been donated to palistine but they didn't want jewish blood.

IDF doctorine

Had it not been for this doctorine I would have never agreed to serve. epepecially on the points of:

*Defensive on the strategic level, no territorial ambitions.

*Desire to avoid war by political means and a credible deterrent posture.

*Human Dignity - The IDF and its soldiers are obligated to protect
human dignity. Every human being is of value regardless of his or her
origin, religion, nationality, gender, status or position.

*Purity of Arms - The IDF servicemen and women will use their weapons and force only for the purpose of their mission, only to the necessary extent and will maintain their humanity even during combat. IDF soldiers will not use their weapons and force to harm human beings who are not combatants or prisoners of war, and will do all in their power to avoid causing harm to their lives, bodies, dignity and property.

So I geuss now we can begin to talk about rights and responsiblities

[ 19 March 2003: Message edited by: Justice ]

writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 19 March 2003 01:21 PM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Could someone interpret, or is this a poetic flight?
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 19 March 2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Lagatta I was pullin your leg..Misshugah does mean "nut" as in stupid fool..albeit in Yiddish not Hebrew.
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 19 March 2003 01:48 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Knew "Meshuggah" was Yiddish, but as I wrote I believe it comes from a Hebrew root (as the fact that it also exists in Romanesco (an Italian-Jewish dialect) would indicate), not from a Germanic or Slavic root.

Edited to add: Here is a post on meshugah and its probable Hebrew root. If this word exists in Romanesco, it may also exist in Ladino.

1. A Word A Day
meshuga also meshugga (muh-SHOOG-uh) adjective

Slang. Crazy; senseless.

[Yiddish meshuge, from Hebrew mesugga'.]

"`The rumors come from paranoid sources,' he (Judge Mikva) said at first.
Then he decided there was a better adjective: `They're not paranoid.
They're meshuga.'"
Ira Stoll, More Than a Lawyer, Forward, 6 Oct 1995.
--
>From A Word A Day:
http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/

[ 19 March 2003: Message edited by: lagatta ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca