FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » The Wall

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The Wall
satana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2798

posted 14 March 2003 08:35 AM      Profile for satana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I look on this insane manifestation of Israel’s hatred of Palestinians, their collective delusional paranoia that they ‘will all be killed’, and their insatiable greed for Palestinian land. As I stand in the shadow of this preposterous edifice, whose concrete base is taller than I am, a scream arises in the depths of my being; a scream so big that it consumes me completely, so that there is no room for breath and my heart is bursting - a scream that I want to be heard in London and Washington and New York. But it cannot escape for it is too big for my throat. And I weep bitter tears for the loss of the life of Palestine.

Funk Soul Brother
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3864

posted 14 March 2003 10:55 AM      Profile for Funk Soul Brother     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
an occasional heroic act for freedom?

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig!

I would say to the author 'stop blowing up buses and discos. When this hasn't occurred for a year, then we'll talk. Otherwise the wall goes up'.

From: Tugging on your sleeve... | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 14 March 2003 11:44 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There were no suicide bombings for two years from Oct. 1998 to Nov. 2000. (just after the Wye River agreement, IIRC). click

During this time, Bibi made this statement:

quote:
CNN: Does this interim agreement prevent Israel from establishing new settlements?

Netanyahu: No, not at all. Rabin, in fact, who was my predecessor and who signed the Oslo accords, boasted that he could build new settlements under the agreement. In point of fact, he expanded the population of the settlements by 50 percent. We're nowhere near there. We're just building as part of natural growth. We're not building new settlements, but we're allowing the natural increase of the population in these communities.

So how many new settlements were started after Wye River, you ask? A number (settlements and outposts). Suicide bombing is abhorrant, but I have to wonder if Israel actually wanted peace while continuing to finance and build new settlements after agreeing (in principle) not to. Please do remember that it takes two to tango.

Here's another report on post-Wye settlement activity.

quote:
Unfortunately, neither the Wye Accord nor previous agreements signed between Israel and the Palestinians make any clear-cut reference to the establishment of new settlements or the expansion of existing ones. In fact, the Wye Memorandum simply says, "recognizing the necessity to create a positive environment for negotiations, neither side shall initiate or take any step that will change the status of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip in accordance with the Interim Agreement."

Taking advantage of this ambiguous language, Israel, with the obvious acquiescence of the United States, is rapidly overtaking West Bank hilltops and confiscating additional Palestinian land in order to increase Israeli control of the West Bank before entering final status negotiations with the Palestinians.

A report issued recently by LAW, a human rights group in Jerusalem, indicates that since the signing of the Wye Accord, Israel has confiscated an estimated 27,385 dunums of land in various parts of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip in order to build settlements and construct bypass roads and industrial zones. Of those, 15,147 dunums were confiscated in the first three months of 1999, and another 12,238 dunums were confiscated between the signing of the Wye Accord on October 23 and the end of 1998.

[ 14 March 2003: Message edited by: Sarcasmobri ]

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 14 March 2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Talk about putting lipstick on a pig!

I would say to the author 'stop blowing up buses and discos. When this hasn't occurred for a year, then we'll talk. Otherwise the wall goes up'.

You may interpret this as justification, but all I have to say is 50 years of existence does not give the right to kill maime children on land that was once theirs. What is left of it is settled or occupied. It should be Israel extending the hand of peace for which it is Israel that is the new kid on the block. It is Israel that expelled the People of Palestine by means of deception, terrorism and torture. I by no means am suggesting that Israel become non-existent. what I'm suggesting it that it is Israel that must take the iniciative, because it is Israel that has WMD, Imense finacial aid from thier Puppets. Funk, you know yourself that this conflict can be solved tomorrow the same way that problems are solved elsewhere in the world. Peace would stop America's and Israels fundi ambitions.

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 14 March 2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
It is Israel that expelled the People of Palestine by means of deception, terrorism and torture.

No they did not. It was the British who created Israel from their Palestine mandate.

quote:
Israel that is the new kid on the block

quote:
You may interpret this as justification, but all I have to say is 50 years of existence does not give the right to kill maime children on land that was once theirs.

Oh is that so? Perhaps we should return the whole area to the Turks because all those nations (Syria, Lebanon, etc.) are relatively new, so that means they should not exist.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 14 March 2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There is a difference between creating new states from population indiginous to a region and importing a whole new population, displacing the people who live there, and then calling it a nation.

In the 1890's Jews represented less than 5% of the population of the Palestin Mandate.

[ 14 March 2003: Message edited by: Moredreads ]

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 14 March 2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Oh is that so? Perhaps we should return the whole area to the Turks because all those nations (Syria, Lebanon, etc.) are relatively new, so that means they should not exist.
Sure the nations are relatively new geographically, however the people are not!
quote:
There is a difference between creating new states from population indiginous to a region and importing a whole new population, displacing the people who live there, and then calling it a nation.
Thank you Moredreads, I couldn't have said it better myself.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 14 March 2003 04:43 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gir, the British didn't "create" Israel. The United Nations created Israel.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 14 March 2003 08:11 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The United Nations created Israel.
History re-written

It was the U.N. that recognized Israel. They didn't create Israel.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 16 March 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gosh, Ariel Sharon says the wall won't keep out terrorists

quote:
Touring the construction of the security fence Sunday, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said that the fence would not completely end terror attacks, since there was growing involvement of Israeli Arabs in the perpetration of terrorist attacks.

And, uh, just WHY was this wall being built again? Wasn't it to keep out the terrorists in the first freakin' place?

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca