Babbler # 3823
posted 11 March 2003 10:13 PM
Pat Buchanan in this weeks American Conservative:
What Kaplan, Brooks, Boot, and Kagan are doing is what the Rev. Jesse Jackson does when caught with some mammoth contribution from a Fortune 500 company he has lately accused of discriminating. He plays the race card. So, too, the neoconservatives are trying to fend off critics by assassinating their character and impugning their motives.
Indeed, it is the charge of “anti-Semitism” itself that is toxic. For this venerable slander is designed to nullify public discourse by smearing and intimidating foes and censoring and blacklisting them and any who would publish them. Neocons say we attack them because they are Jewish. We do not. We attack them because their warmongering threatens our country, even as it finds a reliable echo in Ariel Sharon.
And this time the boys have cried “wolf” once too often. It is not working. As Kaus notes, Kaplan’s own New Republic carries Harvard professor Stanley Hoffman. In writing of the four power centers in this capital that are clamoring for war, Hoffman himself describes the fourth thus:
And, finally, there is a loose collection of friends of Israel, who believe in the identity of interests between the Jewish state and the United States. … These analysts look on foreign policy through the lens of one dominant concern: Is it good or bad for Israel? Since that nation’s founding in 1948, these thinkers have never been in very good odor at the State Department, but now they are well ensconced in the Pentagon, around such strategists as Paul Wolfowitz, Richard Perle and Douglas Feith. American Conservative
* 'War Party' ideas and plans for an attack on Iraq had been 'in preparation far in advance of 9/11, and when President Bush was looking for a new front,' the neocons 'put their precooked meal in front of him. And Bush dug into it.'
* Richard Perle wrote a paper urging Israeli PM Netanyahu to dump the Oslo Peace Accords and target Iraq -- five years before 9/11.
* Undersecretary of Defense Douglas Feith urged Israelto ditch the Oslo and take back the West Bank though 'the price in blood would be high,' three years before the Camp David talks.
* Pentagon official David Wurmser urged the U.S. toact in concert with Israel to 'strike fatally...the regimes of Damascus, Baghdad, Tripoli, Tehran and Gaza' -- nine months before 9/11.
* Bennett, Kristol, Podhoretz 'seized on the horrific atrocity [of September 11] to steer America's rage into all-out war to destroy their despised enemies, the Arab and Islamic 똱ogue states that have resisted U.S. hegemony and loathe Israel.'
* The neocon vision is 'to conscript American blood to make the world safe for Israel....[They] seek American empire and the Sharonites seem hegemony over the Middle East. The two agendas coincide precisely.'
The arcticle hits the newsstands this week. To what extent Israel rules or is ruled by Washington is open to debate. I for one, don't know where Israel (under Sharon) begins and America (under Bush) ends. True love.
From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2003
| IP: Logged