babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Massive Gaza incursion underway

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Massive Gaza incursion underway
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 05 March 2003 07:15 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In response to the horrible bus bombing, killing 15 people, the IDF has sent 50 tanks to the Jabalya refugee camp. Multiple missile launches into the Gaza Strip have been witnessed and confirmed by the IDF.

Haaretz

From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 05 March 2003 07:58 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Talk about swatting a fly with a Buick.

This reminds me of that line in Split Second:

(Superior to Rutger Hauer, as "Harley Stone") So, let's see. You've put in a request for an AK-47, an Uzi automatic rifle, *laundry list of weapons follows here*... Why, I'm surprised you didn't ask for a GRENADE LAUNCHER!
(Hauer, deadpan) Couldn't get a permit.

Same principle applies. A massive collection of overpowering weapons was gathered to fight a nameless enemy, only to find that the enemy was defeated entirely by a different method altogether.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
schizm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3817

posted 05 March 2003 09:14 PM      Profile for schizm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is exactly the kind of overreaction the terrorists were attempting to provoke. You can bet that none of the planners of this latest atrocity will be within shooting distance. They kick the giant in the ankle, then make themselves scarce while their fellow citizens bear the brunt of their enemy's outrage. The terrorists are lunatics and cowards.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 06 March 2003 07:36 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The death and casualty toll:

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/03/06/gaza_explosion030305

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Apples
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3558

posted 06 March 2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Apples     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Note the Qassam rockets fired into Israel. That's pretty bad aim for people who are "defending" themselves against Israeli incursions.
wolfears
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3735

posted 06 March 2003 06:29 PM      Profile for wolfears     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
This is exactly the kind of overreaction the terrorists were attempting to provoke. You can bet that none of the planners of this latest atrocity will be within shooting distance. They kick the giant in the ankle, then make themselves scarce while their fellow citizens bear the brunt of their enemy's outrage. The terrorists are lunatics and cowards.

I see acts of terrorism and disregard for life on both sides, as for the suicide bombings i don't belive that a Palestinian just wakes-up one morning and says:
"Hmm..... i've got nothing better to do today, so i will strap on some explosives and go blow-up some jews".
My point being, if someone has so much hate, that they are willing to blow themselves-up, there has to be something more to it, than just someone having a bad day and/or being a terrorist.

schizm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3817

posted 06 March 2003 08:45 PM      Profile for schizm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"Hmm..... i've got nothing better to do today, so i will strap on some explosives and go blow-up some jews".

Of course not. Everyone is playing their part and following the script to the letter. Terrorists have an agenda (chaos and anarchy), dupe some gullible juvenile into blowing himself up, Israel retaliates with massive force, Palestinians vow revenge, terrorist agenda is advanced. The terrorists only get involved directly when the IDF comes to arrest them, and even in the ensuing melee, their agenda is fulfilled.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 06 March 2003 11:36 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yup. But you've got to ask why there is so much popular support for them. I mean, I don't think Palestinians are stupid. Could it be they feel they don't have any other way of making their anger felt?
John Collins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3199

posted 06 March 2003 11:53 PM      Profile for John Collins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Of course not. Everyone is playing their part and following the script to the letter. Terrorists have an agenda (chaos and anarchy),

Yup. Tried and true methods, engaged in by the IRA, the Viet Cong, the Mau Mau, the Stern Gang, the French Resistance, the Apache, the Afghanis (during the first British occupation), the Ghurkas, the Hashishim, the Boston Tea Partiers, the Saxons, the Brigantian Celts (who attacked Roman grain-gatherers with chariots hidden in the woods) and, oddly enough, the Jews in Roman Palestine.

You had a point?

schizm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3817

posted 07 March 2003 06:12 PM      Profile for schizm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Yup. Tried and true methods, ...

Those other groups were much better organized, more idealistic, and better motivated than the hooligans and thugs that comprise the Palestinian groups. They sow chaos and anarchy in order to fulfill their major agenda of gathering huge amounts of money from their supporters and followers. Unlike the freedom fighters that you mentioned, these scum care nothing for their fellow Palestinians. Like the Palestinian leadership, power and wealth are their only objectives. The huge and disproportionate casualties suffered by the Palestinians attest to the incompetence and callousness of the terrorist groups, who are willing to sacrifice unlimited numbers of their own people for their own benefit.

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 07 March 2003 06:30 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
They sow chaos and anarchy in order to fulfill their major agenda of gathering huge amounts of money from their supporters and followers. Unlike the freedom fighters that you mentioned, these scum care nothing for their fellow Palestinians.

That may be, but regardless, why do you think such a large number of Palestinians support them?

quote:

Like the Palestinian leadership, power and wealth are their only objectives. The huge and disproportionate casualties suffered by the Palestinians attest to the incompetence and callousness of the terrorist groups, who are willing to sacrifice unlimited numbers of their own people for their own benefit.

1) I think Israel's "swatting a fly with a Buick" approach might just have something to do with that. Crazy me.

2) To some people, there are things more important than life. I'm not saying they're right, just that it may not be as simple as not caring.

schizm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3817

posted 07 March 2003 11:32 PM      Profile for schizm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
That may be, but regardless, why do you think such a large number of Palestinians support them?

Why do you think such large numbers support Bush? In the modern world, medieval ignorance still abounds.

quote:

1) I think Israel's "swatting a fly with a Buick" approach might just have something to do with that. Crazy me.

No less ludicrous than setting off bombs in buses.

quote:

2) To some people, there are things more important than life. I'm not saying they're right, just that it may not be as simple as not caring.

All the caring in the Middle East could no doubt fit into a thimble, with room to spare.

For the terrorists, money and power are more important than life, that is, the lives of other people. They get gullible kids to do their dirty work, then reap the rewards, then make themselves scarce when the shooting starts.

Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 07 March 2003 11:51 PM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post
Where do you think all the big time finaciers of Israel are hanging out? Most of them not in Israel I suspect. Both the torturers and tortured are victims in many ways of outside influences. Anyway that is my impression.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca