babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » A Post-War Iraq? Bush's Policy

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: A Post-War Iraq? Bush's Policy
wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 27 February 2003 12:24 PM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A Post-War Iraq, A Post-War Middle East

quote:
Unveiling a bold vision of sweeping change and nation-building, including a democratic Palestine, Mr. Bush attempted to portray war against Iraq as only the first step in transforming the whole Middle East "by bringing hope and progress into the lives of millions."

"Success in Iraq could also begin a new stage for Middle Eastern peace and set in motion progress towards a truly democratic Palestinian state," he said.

"The passing of Saddam Hussein's regime will deprive terrorist networks of a wealthy patron that pays for terrorist training and offers rewards to families of suicide bombers," Mr. Bush said, referring to Mr. Hussein's practise of giving cash to the families of Palestinian suicide attackers.

Even Israel, the United States's closest ally in the war-torn and long-troubled Middle East, was put on notice.

"The new government of Israel will be expected to support the creation of a viable Palestinian state," the President said.

Mr. Bush offered "my personal commitment" to achieving a free, democratic and independent Palestine alongside Israel.

[ 27 February 2003: Message edited by: wei-chi ]

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 February 2003 01:23 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ah, so we have Bush's "personal commitment" on it. Here's a viewpoint on how much his commitment means:

Threats, Promises and Lies

quote:
Consider the astonishing fact that Vicente Fox, president of Mexico, appears unwilling to cast his U.N. Security Council vote in America's favor. Given Mexico's close economic ties to the United States, and Mr. Fox's onetime personal relationship with Mr. Bush, Mexico should have been more or less automatically in America's column. But the Mexican president feels betrayed. He took the politically risky step of aligning himself closely with Mr. Bush — a boost to Republican efforts to woo Hispanic voters — in return for promised reforms that would legalize the status of undocumented immigrants. The administration never acted on those reforms, and Mr. Fox is in no mood to do Mr. Bush any more favors.

Mr. Fox is not alone. In fact, I can't think of anyone other than the hard right and corporate lobbyists who has done a deal with Mr. Bush and not come away feeling betrayed. New York's elected representatives stood side by side with him a few days after Sept. 11 in return for a promise of generous aid. A few months later, as they started to question the administration's commitment, the budget director, Mitch Daniels, accused them of "money-grubbing games." Firefighters and policemen applauded Mr. Bush's promise, more than a year ago, of $3.5 billion for "first responders"; so far, not a penny has been delivered.

These days, whenever Mr. Bush makes a promise — like his new program to fight AIDS in Africa — experienced Bushologists ask, "O.K., that's the bait, where's the switch?" (Answer: Much of the money will be diverted from other aid programs, such as malaria control.)

It seems Bush's personal commitment may not be worth much.

Edited to add that for those without a login at NYT, this article is also available at truthout

[ 27 February 2003: Message edited by: Slim ]

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 27 February 2003 01:43 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've posted on another thread about how crazy I think this whole idea that invading Iraq will lead to a democratic middle east. To me it's just a cover for the real agenda: personal vendetta, securing American influence in the oil region and protecting Israel. But to accept the Bush gang's intention at face value, it is an example of hubris, at best, or the total arrogance of power, at worst. It ignores the history, sociology and politics of the region. It assumes a cause and effect that is totally impossible to accept. It ignores the negative effect such an invasion will have, especially on the youth of the region. In short, it is an utter fantasy.

Just because a country has great power does not mean that it should necessarily exercise that power. Power should be used prudently. The Bush crowd sees no limits to their power, and operate without any self-constraint. Send in the clowns.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 27 February 2003 01:58 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Krugman rules. Apparently tomorrow is his birthday.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 05 March 2003 02:44 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How the mideast will look, ten years hence:

http://codeback.com/2002/perleplan.gif

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 March 2003 03:49 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hee hee. Reminds me of this cartoon - I think I posted it in another thread.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ben_al
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3427

posted 05 March 2003 05:14 PM      Profile for ben_al     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A liberated and democratic Iraq will be a beacon of hope and freedom throughout the Arab world, U.S. President George W. Bush said Wednesday,

Just like the US is a beacon of hope and freedom throughout the western world, with a government who imprisons anyone who wears a t-shirt speaking against it's policies, and tries to wrest support from other, independant countries that it feels have some sort of obligation to thoughtlessly go along with everything they say. Let the light shine on!

From: Kitchener, ON | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca