babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » New Israeli government takes shape

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: New Israeli government takes shape
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 23 February 2003 11:33 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/265839.html
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 23 February 2003 12:00 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Barring any other parties joining the government, Sharon will head a center-right coalition of just 61 Knesset members - 40 from Likud, 15 from Shinui and six from the NRP.

Shinui is joining - interesting. Doubt any secularising legislation will get thorugh given that the NRP holds the balance of power though money to Shas supporters will probably dry up. Being in a narrow government with Likud and a religous party will probably have the result of sapping Shinui's credibility among both anti-clerical voters and secular voters looking for a "pure" party. I suspect in the next election Shinui will lose seats to Meretz.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 23 February 2003 01:59 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree Mycroft. I think Shinui is a flash in the pan. Shinui sells out:

http://tinyurl.com/6a0v

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 23 February 2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Strange, I had understood that Lapid claimed he would never sit in a Unity government with any religious party.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 23 February 2003 05:00 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not so strange perhaps. Lust for power has a way of eroding principle.
mr-trudo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3792

posted 23 February 2003 05:39 PM      Profile for mr-trudo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What a sell out Lapid, he literally did exactly what he campaigned against. Does he not care that he will (or should not) be re-elected? Hopefully, left-wing Israeli don't give up on sell-outs like Labour and Lapid to voilence, oppression and religious fundamentalism and move towards parties like Meretz and Hadash.
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 23 February 2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Strange, I had understood that Lapid claimed he would never sit in a Unity government with any religious party.

To split a hair, Lapid said he'd never join a coalition with "an ultra-Orthodox party". Arguably, the NRP isn't an ultra-Orthodox party like Shas or United Torah Judaism but an Orthodox party (though one heavily tied in to the settler movement). I doubt most secular Israelis will see the difference or think it signficant.

Shinui's big advantage was a ) their promise not to sit in a coalition with the ultra Orthodox parties (which most Israelis understood as a promise not to sit with religious parties and b) their not having sat in government thus giving them a certain amount of purity.

Sitting with NRP will seriously harm their credibility, especially if Shas fails to get any of its secularising agenda passed. Sitting in government, particularly in a narrow right wing government, will kill them with the leftists who vote for them (Shas used to be in Meretz and some of their vote comes from the left) and the day to day realities of being in government will end their "above the fray" status which carried the promise of bringing something different.

[ 23 February 2003: Message edited by: Mycroft ]

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 23 February 2003 06:28 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When it comes to the Palestinians, Shas and UTJ are less reactionary than the NRP. But Lapid doesn't seem to give an damn about that.

And is there any qualitative difference between Eitam and Lieberman?

Shinui and Lapid might have a nice few years in power, but they'll be down to five seats in the next election.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 24 February 2003 08:24 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Deal sealed:

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/266233.html

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 February 2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the NRP not essentially the settler's party? I thought one of their key platforms is that they don't believe that the Palestinians have a right to an independant state. Not good for anyone who's hoping for peace in the OT, or in Israel itself, for that matter.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 24 February 2003 01:37 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You're not wrong Sarcasmo. And as one of the articles points out, it is possible that National Union might join the government, giving it even more of a brownish tinge.

No meaningful peace agreement will come out of this government. Sharon's vision of a Palestinian state is what it has always been: carved up ghettos. He still dreams that the Palestinians will give up and agree to it. Absent some intervening even, he now has four years to test his theory.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 25 February 2003 09:34 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
National Union joins up:

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/266633.html

The most right-wing government in Israeli history. To call it neo-fascist is not too far off the mark.

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 26 February 2003 01:47 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wonder how many Shinui voters feel today that they've been had? Not only has this "centrist" party joined a narrow right wing coalition but they've caved on its principles conceding to the NRP that there will be no civil marriage in Israel, the Orthodox monopoly remains. How long this government lasts depends on Shinui but given that they are now clearly a demagogic party whose only interest is power it's quite possible this government will last for some time unless international pressure mounts.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 26 February 2003 07:47 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree Mycroft. Barring some intervening event, I could this government, or one like it, lasting the whole four years. Sharon has no intention of agreeing to a true Palestinian state and dismantling the illegal settlements. He hopes to wear them down until the "cry uncle."

That means four more years of death and occupation.

evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 26 February 2003 11:18 AM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
That means four more years of death and occupation.

Hey, you don't get a handle like "Sharon The Butcher" without having some real dedication to mass murder and destruction.

From: learning land | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 26 February 2003 04:46 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey, it's not all bad news: Sharon stabbed Netanyahoo in the back:

http://tinyurl.com/6hwo

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 26 February 2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Latest news is that Nethanyahu has accepted the position of Finance Minister after having the position's powers expanded.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 26 February 2003 08:56 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is that a reward or a punishment?
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 27 February 2003 10:24 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
New government sworn in:

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/267480.html

CyberNomad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2926

posted 27 February 2003 10:53 PM      Profile for CyberNomad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
josh, there is one very important detail that Haaretz missed:
quote:
In a lengthy speech introducing his new cabinet to the Knesset, Sharon confirmed today that the coalition guidelines do not require ministers to support Palestinian statehood.

From: St. Catharines ON | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 28 February 2003 08:21 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good point. I think what Sharon figures is that when (if) the American pressure comes down, NRP and National Union will bolt, and Labor will come to his rescue. Which is what he wants anyway. Then he can drag out the negotiations until he's buried on Mt. Herzel.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 02 March 2003 08:56 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Netanyahoo to propose massive budget cuts, but not cutting a shekel for the illegal settlements:

http://tinyurl.com/6pem

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 03 March 2003 08:07 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The new government: right-wing and crooked to the core.

http://tinyurl.com/6sqp

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 04 March 2003 08:57 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The cabinet, with pictures suitable for framing:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/267182.html

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 30 March 2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
National Religious Party threatens to bolt coalition:
quote:
Jerusalem — Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon faced a political crisis Sunday as a religious party threatened to quit his government and boycotted a weekly cabinet meeting because of a dispute over the Jewish Sabbath.

The departure of the National Religious Party could leave Mr. Sharon with a narrow majority of only 62 seats in the 120-member parliament.

At issue is the work of so-called Sabbath inspectors, who enforce the ban on stores' and most businesses' operating on the mandated day of rest. Observant Jews follow strict Sabbath guidelines from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, a time when they do not drive, work or use electricity.

Last week, Labour and Industry Minister Ehud Olmert of Mr. Sharon's Likud Party ordered Sabbath inspectors to stop working — thus allowing entrepreneurs to keep their businesses open on the Sabbath without fear of being fined.

CyberNomad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2926

posted 30 March 2003 07:23 PM      Profile for CyberNomad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So, what's your point Mycroft?

It wasn't all that long ago that Ontario prohibited Sunday shopping. I think it was Bob Rae who put up a defence for the "Common Day of Rest."

And I believe that Nova Scotia still prohibits Sunday shopping.

Some of us, Canadians, value Sunday ... conservative Jews value their Sabbath. What's the big deal?

From: St. Catharines ON | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 30 March 2003 07:26 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think the point is to a) show the departure of a member of the governing coalition and b) to offer some context on why this member left. I could be wrong I only have basic reading and comprhension skills. By the way CyberNomad, I lost track of that other thread, have you apologized to slim for calling him a liar? I hope so. I know as a decent person you would want to.
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 30 March 2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
So, what's your point Mycroft?

My point is it looks like Sharon's coalition is in trouble. The NRP could bolt leaving the coalition with 62 seats or Sharon could compromise which would could cause Shinui to bolt costing the coalition it's majority.

[ 30 March 2003: Message edited by: Mycroft ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca