babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Arab ban in the works

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Arab ban in the works
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 19 February 2003 11:34 AM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
BBC
From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 19 February 2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can a judge strike this ruling down? I'm asking seriously, here; I'm not sure if judicial powers in Israel can strike down laws which run contrary to Israel's constitution, like they can in the States.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 19 February 2003 11:40 AM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
whoops, for some reason this article is from July and I thought it was new...

My bad

From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 19 February 2003 11:53 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, Sarcas I believe it can be struck down by the Israeli Supreme Court. Although Israeli does not have a formal Constitution, it has enacted a number of fundamental rights.

I love the comment about putting the colour back into the cheeks of Zionism. Why does that colour stike me as brown?

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 19 February 2003 12:00 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, it could be a healthy vigorous shade of red, the kind you get from embarassment.

quote:
The proposed law aims to preserve the character of certain Jewish communities inside Israel by making it harder for non-Jews to buy land there.

I'm having a harder and harder time making any distinctions between Israel and Apartheid-era South Africa. South Africa had a legal framework designed precisely to "preserve the character" of the white-owned communities by segregating out non-whites and ensuring that non-whites could not fully participate in the economic realm in South Africa.

So, would someone like to explain to me how Israel is a true and fair bastion of complete legislative and social equality for all who live within it, if they can try?

[ 19 February 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
darkhorse
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3508

posted 19 February 2003 12:19 PM      Profile for darkhorse     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I'm having a harder and harder time making any distinctions between Israel and Apartheid-era South Africa.
Ditto. But, it just doesn't generate the same reaction over here that Apartheid did. Racism towards blacks grew more and more unacceptable. Racism towards Arabs, however, is not only acceptable, its on the rise.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca