babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Stop Dubya -- Free Kurdistan!!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Stop Dubya -- Free Kurdistan!!
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 15 February 2003 06:47 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Start waving.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 15 February 2003 08:40 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Kurdistan flag

From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Collins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3199

posted 15 February 2003 08:40 PM      Profile for John Collins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What an interesting idea -- and I was completely unaware that a Kurdish flag even existed! Where can I find one?

Of course, given that U.S. policy has always been to deny the Kurds a state of their own, it will probably be a cold day in Hell before it happens.

'Kurdistan' covers chunks of territory from five different nations (Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey and Russia) and sits atop a treasure-trove of oil. None of the five is likely to be willing to give up their piece of the Kurds' traditional lands, especially Turkey, who have been forcefully suppressing them for a very long time. I'd even suspect that the Turkish resistance to a Kurdish state was the primary reason that, during the Iran/Iraq war prior to the Shah's ousting in 1976, the CIA (headed by none other than Dubya's dad) engaged in a deliberate policy to encourage Kurdish resistance to Iraq's Baathist regime -- while ensuring that they were NOT given enough support to actually topple the Iraqi government.

This policy, BTW, is the precise reason that the Baathists first began to seriously hunt the Kurds, which makes the 'righteous indignation' (of both Bush and Shrub) over Saddam's brutality toward the Kurds one of the most sickening examples of realpolitikal hypocrisy I've ever heard of.

For those who want verification of this, please refer to the Pike Commission report of 1980. ;-}

John Collins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3199

posted 15 February 2003 08:43 PM      Profile for John Collins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wow! You anticipated my question by a nanosecond -- talk about quick service!!
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 16 February 2003 10:00 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes! Free Kurdistan!

Thanks, swallow and John. Most interesting article and bg.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca