babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Is it a good idea to sell out your principles for personal gain?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it a good idea to sell out your principles for personal gain?
prowsej
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 798

posted 13 February 2003 04:21 PM      Profile for prowsej   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm making two (IMO, reasonable) assumptions with this thread:
- A war in Iraq is inevitable
- The Security Council will authorize war, despite a big show to the contrary (any alternative would undermine council authority unacceptably)

From a pragmatic point of view, should Canada negotiate with US to support war (say, getting US to drop softwood lumber tarrifs in exchange for Canada's support)? If such a measure were taken, it would be a back-room deal; it wouldn't be advertised.

Pros:

• Direct Financial Gain
  • Strengthened Canada-US relations
    Cons:
    • Possibility that Security Council won't authorize war
      • Canadian Government would have to support unpopular war
      • Would undermine UN/international law
    • Possibility that populace realizes trade was done (politically unpopular)
    • Thoughts on this hypothetical principles/pragmatics tradeoff?

• paxamillion
    rabble-rouser
    Babbler # 2836

posted 13 February 2003 04:24 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
    I think you forgot the dead.
    From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
    ben_al
    rabble-rouser
    Babbler # 3427

posted 13 February 2003 04:57 PM      Profile for ben_al     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
    I don't think that an economic relationship is worth violating international law and basic human rights over. As for the tarrifs on softwood, they are unfair anyway and should be dropped regardless of Canada supporting the US in a war. Once we put a price on our support and sell out to the US, we can't go back and raise that price, or stop selling the support, it wouldn't be "fair", and we all know what happens when Canada institutes laws that are "unfair" to American corporate interests.
    From: Kitchener, ON | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
    prowsej
    rabble-rouser
    Babbler # 798

posted 13 February 2003 05:32 PM      Profile for prowsej   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
    quote:
    I think you forgot the dead.
    I think that Canadian support (or lack thereof) would have a negligible impact on death tolls:
    - In Iraq, because the premise of this thread is that war is inevitable, and it is doubtful that Canadian support would significantly alter its duration or extent
    - In Canada, because we're already on the terrorist hit-list and our support (or lack thereof) isn't going to change that status (and hence potential deaths from an attack)

quote:
    I don't think that an economic relationship is worth violating international law and basic human rights over.

You're right - I can't think of any good arguments that work the other way in this context. My first message was just a bad idea.

Thanks.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca