babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Food running out in Gaza as aid appeal fails

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Food running out in Gaza as aid appeal fails
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 11 February 2003 06:54 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From the Guardian:

quote:
Chris McGreal in Gaza
Tuesday February 11, 2003
The Guardian

More than a million Palestinians, already suffering economic collapse, growing unemployment and malnutrition levels comparable to those in Congo, are threatened with food shortages because western governments have turned their backs on a UN appeal for funds.

The UN Palestinian refugee agency Unrwa says its plea for about £60m to feed 1.1m people in the occupied territories has fallen flat, even though the intifada and Israeli retaliation have driven Palestinians to new depths of poverty.

[snip]

Unrwa says it needs $94m immediately for food but has had only one promise, $1.5m from Switzerland, and not a penny in hard cash.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
rubble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3517

posted 13 February 2003 10:09 PM      Profile for rubble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm sure Meshie would like to hear this.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 February 2003 10:17 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That was completely nasty and uncalled for, rubble. Let Mishei express what he likes and dislikes hearing.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 13 February 2003 10:21 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This world has managed to flabbergast me many times since September 11th, 2001, so I'm going to have to say that an is in order here, to the 100th power.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca