babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » That smoke is from the gun you say?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: That smoke is from the gun you say?
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 04 February 2003 01:45 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Click
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 04 February 2003 01:56 AM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, that's all folks! Nice knowing ya! I'm off to dig a shelter in my backyard.
From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 04 February 2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If Saddam tried to nuke/chem US troops I don't think the US will nuke Baghdad, or any other city. I really doubt it. They will definitely use tactical nukes against all known bunkers and other military targets.

If Saddam tried to nuke/chem Israel then all bets are off. Israel has already made many noises indicating that would trigger Armageddon in the Middle East. Then maybe we should start thinking about shelters...

verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 04 February 2003 02:11 AM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, my shelter would be constructed more for protection against swaggering "I-told-you-so" rhetoric from Bush, the endless media broadcast of the righteous might of the US, and the dissolution of the path of peace, moderation and universal humanism that will undoubtedly result.

[ 04 February 2003: Message edited by: verbatim ]

From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 04 February 2003 03:01 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Saddam with chemical weapons? I believe it. But, it must be mentioned, I have yet come across a government without chemical weapons. I was attacked by my own government with chemical weapons almost two years ago. But that was an "acceptable use" of such weapons (CS gas, FTR, which has an ambiguous rating according to chemweap. agreements) Also, because of their nature, chemical weapons are only really effective at close range... i.e. when fighting another army, trench warfare, or "crowd control" in cities...

Saddam with bio-weapons? Possible, but doubtful IMO - the vast stocks of anthrax and botulinum he had (has?) (in liquid form, as US sales receipts show) have a very limited shelf life - a few years max. and we are talking about sales that happened more than a decade ago.

Nuclear weapons? I don't think so. Show me some sattelite photos. Radiation emmissions can be detected, you know.

Secret weapons facilities? Again, show me a government that does have them and I will be impressed.

And those "chemical warheads"? Whatever. These were empty warheads, could be used in any manner of ways, conventional or no, and besides, they were designed for short-range (i.e. around 150km) missiles Saddam is allowed to have under the UN sanctions.

Saddam's paranoia? Nothing new here. Remember how his ex-sons-in-law became ex- in the first place?

I do wonder, though, what I could convince an Iraqi "expert" to say if I smuggled his family out of the country...

[ 04 February 2003: Message edited by: Flowers By Irene ]

From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marx
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3606

posted 04 February 2003 04:47 AM      Profile for Marx     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
isn't it conveniant how such an individual shows up on the scene a mere 2 days before powell or whoever is supposed to reease the big "smoking gun" piece of info on wednesday?
From: we may not convince you, but we'll convince your children | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 04 February 2003 09:45 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Have the inspectors been dispatched to these sites yet?
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flowbee
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1909

posted 04 February 2003 11:03 AM      Profile for Flowbee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
click

Actually the story broke nearly 2 weeks ago.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 February 2003 01:18 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Moving this to the Middle East forum.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca