babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Powell says usa used mercenaries

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Powell says usa used mercenaries
Linger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3557

posted 05 February 2003 03:48 PM      Profile for Linger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
haven't found a transcript of Powell this morning, so no quote (yet) but as he was talking about looking for someone in Iraq, he said,

'we've contacted a friendly security [corporation?] and asked them to look into his where-abouts, and the feasibility of getting him out of [baghdad, Iraq]'

that's kinnapping, yet he says this infront of the security council? Yo, this is messed.

peace?
linger

mandrake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3127

posted 05 February 2003 04:02 PM      Profile for mandrake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
no wonder this board

is called

babble........

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 05 February 2003 04:14 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good solid comment there. Very clever.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 February 2003 04:18 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think Linger is pointing out how striking the parallels are becoming between the rhetoric of this U.S. administration and the smirky language of the mob that we have all learned from Godfather films and the Sopranos.

Bush did the same thing at one point in his State of the Union address. Maybe some Americans no longer realize where this lingo comes from.

Linger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3557

posted 05 February 2003 04:24 PM      Profile for Linger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Also the blatently illegal acts that are being committed.

These activities are wrong, and no-one is even noticing when they are being said in camera. My distress is with the tacit concent 'we' seem to be giving.

Whazzup?
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1471

posted 05 February 2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Whazzup?     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Click.

This sounds like a diplomatic overture. It's not kidnapping if Baghdad agrees to extradite him (with the security service's help).

quote:
We know of [Abu Musab Al-]Zarqawi's activities in Baghdad. I described them earlier.

And now let me add one other fact. We asked a friendly security service to approach Baghdad about extraditing Zarqawi and providing information about him and his close associates. This service contacted Iraqi officials twice, and we passed details that should have made it easy to find Zarqawi. The network remains in Baghdad. Zarqawi still remains at large to come and go.

From: Under the Rubble | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 05 February 2003 07:00 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
OK, so a country that is being slated for destruction and takeover isn't prepared to join with its enemy in the "War on Terrorism". That doesn't prove a connection between Iraq and the terrorists or that Iraq was behind 9-11 in any way.
From: IRC: irc.bcwireless.net JOIN: #linuxtalk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Linger
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3557

posted 06 February 2003 02:57 AM      Profile for Linger     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
hrm, so maybe not kidnapping, as long as they ask before they take.

hired help in foriegn country still. My housemate had a nice comment, she said "what scares me most is that if this is the s* that we know about, what's going on that we don't?"

linger

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 February 2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Moving this to the Middle East forum.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 09 February 2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Also the blatently illegal acts that are being committed.
These activities are wrong, and no-one is even noticing when they are being said in camera. My distress is with the tacit concent 'we' seem to be giving.

So you think that some injustice is occuring if the U.S. kills Saddam. An acknowledged murderer, user of chemical weapons, creator of one of the worlds worst (if not the worst) environmental disasters (setting oil wells on fire).

Yeah, U.S. is really bad here, trying to illegally apprehend this monster.

You should also try to grow some perspective.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca