babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Partners in Crime

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Partners in Crime
Rundler
editor
Babbler # 2699

posted 05 February 2003 11:11 AM      Profile for Rundler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As the U.S. points fingers (and, soon, its military might) at the bad guys, critics are saying: It takes one to know one. As U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell reveals his “evidence” to the United Nations today of the danger posed by Iraq, our writer takes the opportunity to remind the U.S. that this is a devil they know, intimately.

http://www.rabble.ca/everyones_a_critic.shtml?x=18750

From: the murky world of books books books | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 05 February 2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post
Damn those Montrealers are good writers! Good on ya DB!

From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 05 February 2003 08:21 PM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So wait, are you trying to say that because the U.S. supported Iraq in its fight against Iran. Because the U.S. supported Bin Laden and the Taleban in their fight against the soviets That you have concluded:

Iraq and Bin Laden now should have free reign to do whatever they want, threaten whoever they want, kill how many they want. That U.S. support in the past in very different situations against what we deemed were even worse enemies is now a get out of jail free card for ETERNITY?

Wow what a strange argument you are presenting here. Please feel free to correct me if I've presented it incorrectly.

swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 05 February 2003 08:50 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who are you talking to Markbo, is it those bolsheviks breeding in the bathroom?
From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 05 February 2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
is it those bolsheviks breeding in the bathroom

So THAT's what that smell is.

ReeferMadness
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2743

posted 05 February 2003 09:26 PM      Profile for ReeferMadness     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Iraq and Bin Laden now should have free reign to do whatever they want, threaten whoever they want, kill how many they want. That U.S. support in the past in very different situations against what we deemed were even worse enemies is now a get out of jail free card for ETERNITY?

Wow what a strange argument you are presenting here. Please feel free to correct me if I've presented it incorrectly.

As usual, you have. The only "free reign" that anybody is asking for is the U.S. asking to be able to do whatever the hell they like to third world countries. But I guess they're not really asking are they?

I don't question that bin Laden and Hussein are bad people. But I do question a few other things such as:

What reason do we have to believe that the clowns in the American government who created this mess are going to do a better job this time?

What reason is there to think that the Americans are acting in anything other than their own interests?

What gives this bunch the right to attack another country in the first place? And don't tell me self-defence. There is a hell of a lot less evidence that Iraq has any plans to do anything to the U.S. than there is that the U.S. is planning to attack Iraq.

From: Way out there | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
not a terrorist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1532

posted 05 February 2003 09:41 PM      Profile for not a terrorist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

So was it a mistake to support Bin Laden and Iraq in the past or was it okay because they were fighting "even worse enemies" (and the enemy of my enemy must be my friend)?

ReeferMadness
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2743

posted 05 February 2003 09:53 PM      Profile for ReeferMadness     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Supporters of American foreign policy (including, of course, a large number of Americans) seem to suffer from what I like to call the "John Wayne complex". In the early western movies, of course the good guys wore white hats and the bad guys wore black hats so the audience could easily tell them apart. The good guys may have acted much the same as the bad guys (fighting, shooting, etc.) but you somehow knew the good guys had good motives and the bad guys were evil. Also, somehow the answer to violence was always greater violence.

So, it is with the U.S. in the post-WWII era. No matter who they attack or how often they bomb, somehow it's always necessary to prevent the black hats from getting us.

Can-Am
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3678

posted 05 February 2003 10:00 PM      Profile for Can-Am     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What reason do we have to believe that the clowns in the American government who created this mess are going to do a better job this time?

Utter disaster was predicted for Afghanistan. Whatever it is today, it is not the apocalyptic scenario painted by many in October 2001. The US government are indeed clowns--just are the leaders of every nation on earth. They're human

What reason is there to think that the Americans are acting in anything other than their own interests?

None. Whose interests should they act in, Reefer, Surinam's?

What gives this bunch the right to attack another country in the first place?

They really don't have that right. But since there is nobody to challenge them, we will be living in a "(US) might makes right" world for some time. Is this a good thing? No. Is there anything we can do about it? Well, we can try to influence them diplomatically. Not much else.

ReeferMadness
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2743

posted 07 February 2003 07:07 PM      Profile for ReeferMadness     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Utter disaster was predicted for Afghanistan. Whatever it is today, it is not the apocalyptic scenario painted by many in October 2001. The US government are indeed clowns--just are the leaders of every nation on earth. They're human

It took 15+ years for the situation in Afghanistan to develop into the "blowback" of bin Laden. Let's talk again in 2020.

ReeferMadness
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2743

posted 08 February 2003 12:52 PM      Profile for ReeferMadness     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here is Amnesty International's take on Iraq with the following comment on Afghanistan

quote:
As a result of international military intervention in late 2001, the Taliban, a government notorious for its abuse of human rights, is no longer in power in Afghanistan. However others who have committed human rights abuses with impunity remain. The overall stability of Afghanistan has yet to be established and much remains to be done to address past human rights violations and prevent future ones.

During the military action by the US, UK and other forces in Afghanistan, there were a number of incidents in which civilians or captured combatants were killed or injured that Amnesty International believes need to be investigated. Amnesty International was also concerned for the protection and well-being of refugees and internally displaced people throughout the conflict. Some of these displaced people were pressured to return to unsafe areas once the Taliban were defeated. Amnesty International is concerned that military intervention in Iraq may result in similar problems.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 February 2003 12:50 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Moving this to the Middle East forum.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca