babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Downing St. Dossier Plagiarised

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Downing St. Dossier Plagiarised
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 06 February 2003 07:19 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From Channel Four News:

quote:
The government's carefully co-ordinated propaganda offensive took an embarrassing hit tonight after Downing Street was accused of plagiarism.

The target is an intelligence dossier released on Monday and heralded by none other than Colin Powell at the UN yesterday.

Channel Four News has learnt that the bulk of the nineteen page document was copied from three different articles - one written by a graduate student.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drgoodword
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3214

posted 06 February 2003 07:59 PM      Profile for drgoodword   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Can anyone believe there is any serious effort toward veracity on the part Bush-Blair?

drg

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 06 February 2003 08:05 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Truth means nothing to this crowd. To them, the ends justify the means.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 February 2003 10:02 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wouldn't it be neat to be the graduate student who got ripped off? Now THERE'S a claim to fame!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy M
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2183

posted 07 February 2003 12:17 PM      Profile for Tommy M     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't know who claimed to have written Downing Street's report, but given that they may well be a Labour supporter, is it possible that it was intentionally done?

What better way to point out that the information we are being given is what the government wants to tell us rather than what is really happening.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 08 February 2003 09:56 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
More on the controversy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/08/international/europe/08BRIT.html

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 February 2003 10:04 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmm. Anyone else getting a "bad gateway" error from that link?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 February 2003 10:07 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gee. There are two of these threads. If you only read this one, you'll miss my last post.
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 08 February 2003 11:29 AM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wow! The title of this thread doesn't suggest the full force of this scandalous discovery.
One would presume that a report published by the British Government last week would be up-to-date, particularly when the Report says it is "up-to-date". But in reality, that is not so.

quote:
For instance, the second section of the three-part report, which is described on the Downing Street Web site as providing "up-to-date details of Iraq's network of intelligence and security," was drawn in large part from "Iraq's Security and Intelligence Network: a Guide," an article about the activities of Iraqi intelligence in Kuwait in 1990 and 1991.

The Times article is pretty devastating. Think of sending your son or daughter to fight Iraq based on this sort of thing.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 February 2003 05:04 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Markbo wants to read this thread.

This one too.

rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 08 February 2003 06:19 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Guardian Unlimited reports on British reports ...

Disturbing reports

The government has issued three reports in the past six months, trying to establish a case for action against Iraq. Each one has drawn progressively more criticism.

From: IRC: irc.bcwireless.net JOIN: #linuxtalk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 08 February 2003 06:21 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Notice the absence of coomentary from the right on this thread -- interesting in itself.
rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 08 February 2003 08:42 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here is an article covering the actual plagiarization within the document ...

British Intelligence Iraq Dossier Relies on Recycled Academic Articles

From: IRC: irc.bcwireless.net JOIN: #linuxtalk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 08 February 2003 11:56 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From MSNBC News:

quote:
Islamic militants show ‘poison site’

SARGAT, Iraq, Feb. 8 — U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell called the camp in northern Iraq a terrorist poison and explosives training center, a deadly link in a “sinister nexus” binding Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida.

BUT JOURNALISTS who visited the site depicted in Powell’s satellite photo found a half-built cinderblock compound filled with heavily armed Kurdish men, video equipment and children — but no obvious sign of chemical weapons manufacturing.

“You can search as you like,” said Mohammad Hassan, a spokesman for the Islamic militant group Ansar al-Islam, which controls the camp and the surrounding village. “There are no chemical weapons here.”

It's becoming almost surreal.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 February 2003 09:37 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
“You can search as you like,” said Mohammad Hassan, a spokesman for the Islamic militant group Ansar al-Islam, which controls the camp and the surrounding village.

Is that the really scarey group Ansar al-Islam, that no Westerner dare talk to, even get near, or they'll slit our throats? Hmmmn. What's wrong with this picture?

Not that I have any doubts about a connection between Ansar al-Islam and al-Qaeda, nor that I think they are a benign presence for the Kurds. But maybe reality isn't quite so black and white as we've been told.

Heather
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 576

posted 09 February 2003 11:39 AM      Profile for Heather   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't know who claimed to have written Downing Street's report, but given that they may well be a Labour supporter, is it possible that it was intentionally done?

According to Channel 4, it was the staffers!: Among the four names credited with working on the document is Alastair Campbell's own personal assistant Alison Blackshaw, a junior No.10 press officer Murtarza Khan, one other No.10 official and a foreign office official.

I was awed by the interview with Saddam. He's definitely educated and very well-spoken (probably the reason why the U.S. propped him up). More so it seems than Bush and Blair.

Although his tongue, as Bush and Blair do, speaks of justice and peace, it reminded me of this quote: "Whoso ariseth among you to teach the Cause of his Lord, let him, before all else, teach his own self, that his speech may attract the hearts of them that hear him". In other words, "practice what you preach" otherwise people will stop believing you- and this goes for ALL of them: Bush, Blair, and Suddam.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 February 2003 12:43 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Moving this to the Middle East forum.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 February 2003 12:48 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Markbo keeps missing this thread. People cross-reference it for him, but, I dunno, I guess he just keeps missing the helpful links.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca