babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » UN must "face up to its responsibilities": Annan

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: UN must "face up to its responsibilities": Annan
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 February 2003 08:11 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The United States must act within the UN to make Iraq disarm, but the UN has the responsibility to make the tough decisions, Kofi Annan said on Saturday.

France, Germany, and China threatened to use their veto powers against war, and Russia's not so hot about war either.

Maybe I should have put this in the "containment" thread, but I found this quote interesting:

quote:
Russia's UN Ambassador Sergey Lavrov signalled his opposition saying: "It's about whether we do have a threat coming from Iraq or not – absent such threat, I believe the war is unjustified."

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 09 February 2003 12:03 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This sounds like the "tough" line some on the right have been demanding from Kofi Annan. Does it satisfy the UN-bashers on babble?
From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 09 February 2003 12:31 PM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think I would be more satisfied if the U.N. faced up to its responsibilities in N. Korea.

Seems like North Korea's pronouncement of U.N. action being an "act of war" has scared the U.N into refusal once again facing up to its responsibilities.

But then this is a meaningless statement. THe U.N. has been ducking its responsibilities for years. The only reason there are inspectors in Iraq is because the U.S. threatened war. We wouldn't be in this situation if the U.N. had dealt with Iraq when the Inspectors left the first time.

I blame them for this imminent threat of war. If they didn't bury their heads in the sand when the Inspectors left in the first place, the U.S. wouldn't be ammassing troups in the Middle east right now.

I don't think the U.N. has to declare war to end my criticism of it. It just has to declare something. Especially on North Korea.

quote:
"It's about whether we do have a threat coming from Iraq or not – absent such threat, I believe the war is unjustified."

I guess he thinks that building WMD is not a threat. What does he think Saddam will do with these chemical, biological weapons if not thraaten his neighbors?

[ 09 February 2003: Message edited by: Markbo ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 February 2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Moving this to the Middle East forum.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca