babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Sharon offers limited cease-fire to Palestine

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Sharon offers limited cease-fire to Palestine
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 February 2003 07:56 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why am I skeptical?

Maybe because of these somewhat weaselly words:

quote:
"It proposes that everywhere they succeed in preventing attacks or showing that they are making serious efforts to do so, Israel will react accordingly by changing its military deployment in the area and easing restrictions on trade and movement,"

What constitutes a "serious effort"? Does one Palestinian extremist get to ruin it for everyone else in the area?

Or maybe it's because Sharon is still refusing to meet with Arafat, calling him "irrelevant" even though Palestinians see him as their leader, even though Sharon himself is on at least the same morally bankrupt ground that he accuses Arafat of occupying?

Yeah, I'm skeptical.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ice Foot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2531

posted 09 February 2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Ice Foot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What constitutes a "serious effort"? Does one Palestinian extremist get to ruin it for everyone else in the area?

Unfortunately, this has been the trend. Israel has been the aggressor since the occupation started, obviously, they are the ones forcefully occupying someone else's land, right? They use the same antics of murdering Palestinians and destroying Palestinian homes, then claim they are only retaliating to Palestinian aggression.

It seems pretty clear that suicide bombings are a reaction to Israeli occupation, the source of the problem.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca