babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » US chooses Saddam's successor

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: US chooses Saddam's successor
satana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2798

posted 08 February 2003 03:40 PM      Profile for satana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I didn't think the US would be able to find anyone. Another Karzai. I doubt he would be able to last long without a permanent US military presence in Iraq. It seems the Iraqi elite's best option now is to get some generals to depose Saddaam and talk to Washington.

Tinker, Banker, NeoCon, Spy

quote:
"The removal of [Saddam Hussein] presents the United States in particular with a historic opportunity that I believe is going to prove to be as large as anything that has happened in the Middle East since the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the entry of British troops into Iraq in 1917," says Kanan Makiya, an INC strategist and author of Republic of Fear.

Chalabi would hand over Iraq's oil to U.S. multinationals, and his allies in conservative think tanks are already drawing up the blueprints. "What they have in mind is denationalization, and then parceling Iraqi oil out to American oil companies," says James E. Akins, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia. Even more broadly, once an occupying U.S. army seizes Baghdad, Chalabi's INC and its American backers are spinning scenarios about dismantling Saudi Arabia, seizing its oil and collapsing the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). It's a breathtaking agenda, one that goes far beyond "regime change" and on to the start of a New New World Order.

[ 08 February 2003: Message edited by: satana ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 08 February 2003 03:50 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jesus H. Baldhaired Almighty Ole Christ on a bicycle.

Are these guys really that nuts? Dismantling OPEC? Reorganizing entire countries?

Christ, even the Soviets were never quite this grandiose.

And how do the US's people working on this expect to get away with it all without sorely provoking the people who live in the Middle East who have legitimate grievances against their current governments and would not be at all happy to see the USA reorganizing the chessboard for its benefit?

Question: How equally distributed is the oil wealth in Iran versus Saudi Arabia?

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
satana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2798

posted 08 February 2003 04:07 PM      Profile for satana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
US Middle East Policy & Europe

quote:
The US invasion force is "not to go in for nationbuilding". In other words, no assistance with post-invasion reconstruction. Presumably, the unexploded bombs are - like in Afghanistan - just to be left lying around to kill and main. Don't worry about the people, just install an interim regime that can hand over the oil assets and revenues to US interests on a basis far more favourable than US oil companies now enjoy anywhere else in the world.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 26 October 2003 12:21 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In light of recent events, I must eat my words and admit that the USA's leadership really is that nuts.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 26 October 2003 02:52 AM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Right with ya, Dr. C.

The one that had me - in this case, literally - hitting my head on the desk was the great idea: "Let's send the Turks into Iraq as peacekeepers!"

Forget history. Don't these guys ever read a freaking newspaper??!?

From: Help, I'm stuck in the USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca