babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Place Your Bets

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Place Your Bets
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 13 January 2003 10:01 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How many Palestinians will die in the next two weeks to ensure Sharon's re-election? Nothing like military action to remove corruption from the headlines:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/13/international/middleeast/13MIDE.html

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 13 January 2003 10:23 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, we're up to nine...I think they'll keep it under twenty-five, but who knows what one can accomplish with a "misguided" missile?

What a mess.

[ 13 January 2003: Message edited by: Smith ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 January 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The events came a day after the Palestinian leader, Yasir Arafat, asked Palestinians to refrain from attacking Israeli civilians.

In a speech today, Ariel Sharon, the Israeli prime minister, denounced Mr. Arafat's appeal, accusing him of trying to swing the election to his more dovish opponent, Amram Mitzna, the Labor Party candidate.

Unbelievable! Hey Palestinians, don't be peaceful now that I'm up for re-election! That nasty old Arafat - he just wants everyone to stop killing so that a more peaceful guy will get in!

Good LORD.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 13 January 2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The right has seized on Arafat's statement in an attempt to deflect attention from the growing Likud scandal. They're arguing that the statement is proof that Arafat controls the suicide bombers and can turn terrorism on and off at will (as well as proof that he's trying to manipulate the Israeli elections and that Mitzna is "his" candidate). Of course the fact that Hezbollah has rejected Arafat's appeal seems lost on Likud.
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 18 January 2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This week, from 9-15 January 2003, 12 Palestinians, mostly civilians, including a mentally handicapped man, were killed by Israeli forces and settlers.
Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 02 February 2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
With media attention turned to Israel’s elections, 13 killed in Gaza; Mentally disabled man killed in Gaza; Mother killed near Nablus; 8 year- old killed in Rafah; infrastructure destroyed in Beit Hanoun; Israeli soldiers rob Palestinians; Settler kills Palestinian man.

Israelis kill 25 Palestinians during this week, including six children and a middle-aged woman: Ali Ghariz (8), Amjad al-Hatab (16), Khaled Shalouf (17), Hasan Fayad (18), Nidal Kastouni (18), Nahed Abu Dahruj (18), Iyad Akawi (20), Ayman Hanawi (20), Yusef al-Sadi (20), Mohammad al-Nakhala (21), Ashraf Kahel (22), Ahmad Abed (23), Alaa Khalifeh (23), Mohammad al-Tubasi (23), Ahmad al-Fayumi (24), Wisam Hasan (24), Mohammad al-Masdar (25), Ahmad ‘Abd al-Karim (25), Marwan Rahmi (25), Munir Brika’a (26), Rami Issa (27), Rashad Orabi (28), Mohammad Abeed (28), Suad Snober (46), Sami Zarab (50).

Moredreads
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3393

posted 02 February 2003 09:07 PM      Profile for Moredreads     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Unfortunately I missed a week of counting for this gruesome question. But with these 25 and the previous 12, it is safe to say that with another 10 (perhaps) for the week I missed, that around 47 Palestinians died, as Sharon romped to the polls, after this question was asked.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 03 February 2003 01:24 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You know, a bookie could make a fortune on a dead pool like this.

(Yes, that was incredibly macabre, but the way things are going it doesn't look like things will change any time soon. )

For the record, I call 10 Palestinian-Arabs in the next two weeks. I also call 10 Israelis from one suicide bombing.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 February 2003 03:54 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think this "bet" in the first post was just a rhetorical device to highlight how Likud used death to mobilize support leading up to the election. I don't think the idea was to start an actual dead pool. Especially since the election is now over. Do we really want to go into this valley of incredibly poor taste?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 03 February 2003 04:20 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I grant that. I must restrain my sarcastic tendencies.

I would still submit that in general you could take a guess at the casualty figures and have to sadly confirm them week by week.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 February 2003 07:04 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, I agree with you there, Doc.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 February 2003 07:09 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I believe that this thread is is not just in bad tatse, it makes light of death . If your family was faced with death no matter how, would you care that strangers were were betting on it? This is plain ugly...a bleak and sad moment for Babble
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 February 2003 07:14 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The thread itself is not in bad taste, in my opinion. As I said above, I think "place your bets" is an excellent rhetorical gambit. I think anyone who reads it understands that it is meant to be sarcastic and to cynically point out how Sharon not only benefits from the death around him, but might actively pursue it in order to be re-elected. It does NOT make light of death in any way in my opinion

My point was, let's not turn what started out as a sarcastic comment into an actual dead pool, which WOULD be making light of death. Doc has agreed and that should be the end of it.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 03 February 2003 07:30 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh Mishei, give me a freakin' break. As usual, you'll use any rhetorical device to avoid the issue.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 03 February 2003 08:07 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If your family was faced with death no matter how, would you care that strangers were were betting on it?

Not as much as I'd care that racist politicians were getting votes from it.

Come now, Mishei. You hardly ever have anything to say about Palestinian deaths except "accidents happen" and now you're offended that we're not treating it with the proper sensitivity?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 February 2003 08:10 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So...how about them Blue Jays?

Seriously though. Let's not get diverted into another meta-discussion about form.

What do you folks think - do you think the deaths leading up to the election helped Sharon? Do you think he specifically aimed for that?

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 03 February 2003 08:46 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wouldn't put it past him. He's like a state governor "getting tough on crime" - it helps to have an execution or thirty in the works at election time.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 03 February 2003 10:31 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As they say, it didn't hurt. And I think he intended to use the actions to highlight his "toughness" and to drive the corruption issue from the headlines. He's not the first to do so and, unfortunately, he won't be the last.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca