FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the NDP   » NDP releases Kyoto plan

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: NDP releases Kyoto plan
vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 13 January 2005 02:25 PM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thoughts? Comments?

Click!

[ 13 January 2005: Message edited by: vickyinottawa ]

From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
somersol
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7836

posted 13 January 2005 03:06 PM      Profile for somersol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Kyoto embodies big government policy stasis.
I like the bit about “exporting solutions.” We sould become an recognized expert in climate care and appropriate use.
In some ways, I think Canada is the world’s park. Does that make sense? As such, we should set a calculated example with respect to the environment.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 13 January 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The history lesson in that letter is great, Vicky. However, The end of the letter reads as more of a plea than a plan. Maybe that was intentional, I dunno. I realize that it's unorthodox to do so in a letter, but perhaps hotlinking the PDF document to the text of the letter in the last paragraph (the words "NDP's plan") would clarify the point that the NDP does have a plan to tackle the problem, and is not simply trashing the Liberal record without offering an alternative. We know that there is a crowd of media people who will intentionally misread the letter to make that claim.

(I'm not trying to be critical. The letter is spot-on. I'm just harping on the one teeny tiny itsy bitsy problem I saw in it.)

[ 13 January 2005: Message edited by: Briguy ]

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Lefty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3697

posted 15 January 2005 01:53 PM      Profile for West Coast Lefty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
To me, this is Jack and the NDP at their best - proactive, seizing the agenda on a real issue, as opposed to the "scandal du jour" and combining a strong attack on the Liberals with a positive proposal for the future. I saw Jack on TV releasing the report and he basically said: "Here's our plan. We really hope the Liberals will steal it because it's a good plan, and if they do, we'll support them."

Kyoto should be one of the major NDP campaigns for 2005, especially since it legally takes effect on February 16. There have been stories in the Globe and Mail all week about how Martin has been trapped by trying to "out-NDP the NDP" on Kyoto during the election, and now he finds he can't keep yet another promise. The Liberals squirm, the NDP takes the lead on the biggest issue of our generation, and even if the Libs finaly act, the NDP can legitimately take credit for shaming them into doing something. This is how the NDP can be the "conscience of the nation" once again

From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ty Webb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7896

posted 15 January 2005 03:13 PM      Profile for Ty Webb        Edit/Delete Post
Sure, but do you actually think that anybody votes one way or the other because of Kyoto?

The NDP stance on Kyoto keeps us relevent, but only with our own members and with people in coffee shops at university campuses around the country. When it comes down to it, the average person doesn't give a shit. They're not against Kyoto, but they're only going to vote for a party with a strong leader and a sensible economic plan. That wasn't the NDP last time around.

While the NDP stance on Kyoto and Star Wars is admirable, it won't move one single vote. Time to focus on bread and butter issues that people can get behind.

I feel that this current leader is almost incapable of that.

From: I was born to rub you, but you were born to rub me first! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Lefty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3697

posted 16 January 2005 10:56 PM      Profile for West Coast Lefty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Sure, but do you actually think that anybody votes one way or the other because of Kyoto?
The NDP stance on Kyoto keeps us relevent, but only with our own members and with people in coffee shops at university campuses around the country. When it comes down to it, the average person doesn't give a shit. They're not against Kyoto, but they're only going to vote for a party with a strong leader and a sensible economic plan. That wasn't the NDP last time around.

While the NDP stance on Kyoto and Star Wars is admirable, it won't move one single vote. Time to focus on bread and butter issues that people can get behind.

Ty, it comes down to what role you think the NDP should play in national politics. We can either be ambulance-chasers and try to surf on whatever the latest screaming headline is, or we can be leaders and take clear stands on the important issues facing Canada. The environment has always been a key issue for Canadians and climate change is the biggest challenge we have ever faced as a species.

No 'sensible economic plan' is possible without getting us off our addiction to fossil fuels and addressing the problems of traffic congestion, smog, etc. that are all directly related to climate change. In BC, we've had record forest fire seasons and the unprecedented pine beetle outbreak which will be devastating to the forest economy - again, all directly related to climate change.

You can bet there are plenty of votes for a party that will take on the root causes of these impending catastrophes. And even if there weren't, it is the NDP's role to do the right thing even when it's not popular, as Tommy Douglas did in opposing the War Measures Act in 1970 when 90% of Canadians supported it.

From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 18 January 2005 02:41 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What West Coast Lefty said.
From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca