FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the NDP   » Federal Secretary scuttlebutt

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Federal Secretary scuttlebutt
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 07 January 2005 12:09 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So is there any news, gossip, suggestions, etc. on the search for a new federal secretary?

(Chris Watson resigned a few months ago, for those who didn't know. I didn't see a thread here or a public announcement elsewhere at the time, but I wasn't paying close attention. Although I half remember starting a thread, but maybe I only wanted to.)

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LaGitana
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6736

posted 07 January 2005 03:48 PM      Profile for LaGitana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've had my ear to the ground trying to get some info on who has the inside track but I haven't heard anything as of yet. There should be somebody soon though as the search recently wrapped up. Will be interesting to see who the lucky person is!
peterjcassidy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 372

posted 10 January 2005 12:48 AM      Profile for peterjcassidy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I believe Eric Hebert is the acting Federal Secretary and in line for the job. Then I've either heard or am trying to start a rumour that Bruce Cox (former ONDP and NS Secretary) may be considered. Another possibility is Jill Marzetti, former federal secretary? I'm interested in the scuttleutt and the story behind Chris's departure

[ 10 January 2005: Message edited by: peterjcassidy ]

From: Screaming in language no-one understands.. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 10 January 2005 10:22 AM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Chris wanted to move back to Toronto, for personal reasons. So, no real scuttlebutt about his departure. They had a nice send-off for him a few months ago.

Interviews are ongoing. I haven't heard much gossip about who has applied for the job.

From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Burns
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7037

posted 11 January 2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Burns   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Didn't Bruce just take a job as Executive Director at Greenpeace? Not that it wouldn't be good to see him back doing his thing.

The last I heard from Jill Marzetti was when she was dumped from David Miller's Mayoral campaign. Hmmm.

From: ... is everything. Location! Location! Location! | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 11 January 2005 04:20 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
FYI, here is the job posting for Federal Secretary. But, you're a week late if you were planning to reply.
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
peterjcassidy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 372

posted 13 January 2005 10:13 PM      Profile for peterjcassidy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A bit of history, as I recall it.
Jill Marzetti, ONDP secretary (elected) was hired as Federal secretary years ago. Bruce Cox, NS secretary (appointed?) was eleted ONDP secretary. At the 2001 Federal Convention, it was announed that Jill was leaving as Federal secretary and would be replaced by Diane O'Reggio assistant Federal Secretary. Instead, the Feds hired Chris Watson, an NDP researcher at Queens Park.(Daine may not even have applied not waning the job-who knows?)
In the run up to the 2002 ONDP cconvention, Bruce, so the story goes, was told by the powers that be he would not be re-elected ONDP secretary-Diane was going to get the job. Bruce wisely decided not to try running for re-election, went on to head up Jacks campaign for leader and eventualy a job with Jack. Diane won the election for ONDP secretary.
At the 2004 ONDP convention the position of secretary was changed, with much initial opposition from delegates, from an elected position to an appointed one. (The original resolution on the floor that talked solely of hiring the secretary encountered so much opposition, even with the backing of Michael Lewis Chris Watson etc., that it was referred off to incorporate an amendment hat such hiring must be ratified by Provincial council. Then it passed overwhelmwingly - most delegates presumbably considering this a fair compromise.)
Diane had been relected ONDP secretary and the speculation was that sometime before the 2006 convention, the position would be advertised, Diane would apply and be hired. Now, with Chris stepping down as federal secretary who knows? Diane back to Fed, Chris to provincial? Eric Hebert for Fed, Diane back at provincial? Stay tuned folks. More scuttlebutt welcome

[ 13 January 2005: Message edited by: peterjcassidy ]

[ 13 January 2005: Message edited by: peterjcassidy ]

From: Screaming in language no-one understands.. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 14 January 2005 01:26 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterjcassidy:
More scuttlebutt welcome.

The point of which would be...

aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 14 January 2005 03:18 AM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So what was the scuttlebut on why the powers that be didn't want him to continue as ONDP provincial secretary?
vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 14 January 2005 10:08 AM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
see, rasmus? This is what "scuttlebutt" threads get you...
From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 14 January 2005 10:12 AM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A bit of history, as I recall it.

I'm not going to comment on your comments about the "powers that be", but my recollection does differ to some extent on the other facts.

At 2001 Federal, it was announced that Diane O'Reggio would be the interim secretary until a replacement was hired. Hiring Chris Watson wasn't done instead of something else that had been announced, but as a result of the process that had been announced.

There had been much discussion and disagreement about whether ratification by Council was appropriate prior to convention among those who supported hirings. Chris Watson was one of those who wanted ratification from the get-go (the federal model includes ratification), and it isn't fair to characterize him as having the same position as those opposing ratification.

On the other hand, support for hiring the provincial secretary was significant - constitutional changes require 2/3 support. Chris Watson being one example, it is important to not consider those wanting to amend or modify a proposal as being opposed to it on its face. The actual opposition to the change was primarily from the "usual suspects", who also opposed the OMOV amendment.

Generally as far as federal secretary is concerned, I don't think there is any expectation that the assistant federal secretary is, by virtue of that position, a leading candidate to become federal secretary.

As for Bruce's leaving - his stated reasons included that, after already serving the "normal" term of four years, he did not expect to still be in the position by the 2004 convention, and so felt 2002 convention was an appropriate time to move on.

From: London, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 14 January 2005 10:15 AM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Peter, Andrew's version of events is much more accurate.
From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
peterjcassidy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 372

posted 16 January 2005 06:24 PM      Profile for peterjcassidy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think this thread may be close to "petering" out, says Peter Not much scuttlebutt and we should be hearing who actually gets the job soon. However...without getting into a flame war, and without being too defensive or egotistical, I think my posts, designed to share scuttlebutt, were worth saying, and were substantially correct. First, let me say, with some humour, it seems I am only person taking part in this thread who knew of , or was at least willing to suggest certain possibilities for filling the vacancy- Eric Hebert, assistant federal secretary, now acting as federal secretary, Bruce Cox and Jill Marzetti, who have some impressive credentials and history and who might have been interested. I invite anyone to show they have more inside knowledge than me by naming other names that are at least as credible .

Secondly I posted that I "heard" at Winnipeg in 2001 that Jill was leaving and Diane replacing her. Presumably what was said (or I and others should have "heard") was that Jill was leaving, Diane, assistant federal secretary was temporarily relacing Jill and that a hiring process was underway that may or not be of interest to Diane and may or may not lead to Diane being hired permanently as federal secretary. Regardless what those in the party who were communicating meant to be heard, that was not what I and others heard.

As to Bruce decding not to run for ONDP secretary and Diane getting the position, I do not know for sure what happened. I would be prepared to discuss what I have heard and do know, including the role of the "Offical Slate" aka "Powers that be" in deciding who gets the nod for positions, but that is a dicussion probably best left for other fora.

Lastly, on the ONDP convention, I stand by what I said. When it came to the debate on the proposrd amendment to change the position of provincial secretary from an elected position to an appointed one, there was opposition at the mikes and on the floor. There was a procedural motion to take the resolution off the floor in order to add a clause that any such hiring would be subject to ratification by Provincial Council. If that procedural motion had not been made,or not carried, delegates would have been reuired to vote yes or no, a straight vote, on the proposal to make the position a hired one. Recoging thsat would take a 2/3 vote My read is that the powers that be did not want to risk losing thr right to have the secretary hired rather than elected (which I think was a real possibility). However the procedural motion carried fairly soundly (e.g. more thatn 50% of the delegates present and voting voted to send the propsal off to amend it). As stated I think most delegates thought making the hiring of the provicnail secretary subect to ratification by Provincial CSouncil was a reasoanble compromise. It was basically the position that had been origianlly before the executive and constititonal committee. Howver somewhere down the line someoe or somebody thought to make it a straight fight between contiuning to elect the person or hiring the person. As one of the people who orignally somehat supported that compromise, I am relatively pleased with the end result.
[ 16 January 2005: Message edited by: peterjcassidy ]

[ 16 January 2005: Message edited by: peterjcassidy ]

Burns
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7037

posted 17 January 2005 12:44 PM      Profile for Burns   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Piatkowski:
The point of which would be...
Um, to figure out who gets the job? These positions are pretty important and (I would say sadly) important decisions about who gets them are made behind closed doors for reason that are sometimes ephemeral, often silly, and rarely totally rational. In a small way gossip empowers those of us not in the loop - as long as we take rumors with a grain of salt.

From: ... is everything. Location! Location! Location! | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 17 January 2005 01:34 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How about Michael Lewis?
peterjcassidy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 372

posted 17 January 2005 10:57 PM      Profile for peterjcassidy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The scuttlebutt continues!!!

From Dictionary.com

scuttlebutt \SKUHT-l-buht\, noun:
1. (Nautical)
a. A drinking fountain on a ship.
b. A cask on a ship that contains the day's supply of drinking water.
2. Gossip; rumor.

It was written in the optimistic belief that open debate beats backroom scuttlebutt.
--Jon Entine, Taboo

scuttlebutt comes from scuttle, "a small opening" + butt, "a large cask" -- that is, a small hole cut into a cask or barrel to allow individual cups of water to be drawn out. The modern equivalent is the office water cooler, also a source of refreshment and gossip.

Synonyms: gossip, hearsay, rumor, buzz.

From my point of view a certain amount of backroom scuttlebut is both inevitable and desireable in the NDP, when there is insufficient open debate. The only place I have heard any discussion about the topic is on this thread and in discusssions with my btothers and sisters on the executive of the Hamilton area federal and provincial ridings.

I gather from the scuttlebutt on this list, not from any open debate or communication from party officials, that our Federal Secretary will be chosen (or the executive decison already made, ratified) at the Federal council meting being held in the next few weeks. Anybody on this thread able to confirm of deny thsi scuttlebutt?
Our Presidents breakfast club is meeting this Sturday and they may be interested.

P.S. Presumbably that federal council meeting will also hold open debate on clawing back the rebate promised the federal ridngs. There has been some limited opportunities for input into that issue, and for this mercy much thanks. Unfortunately, there has been serious communication problems and there is such a paucity of information that about all we can say is " We want the money promised us."

PPS. I have great respect for Michael, though we are usually on different sides in interparty debate. He spoke powerfully at the ONDP convention about the wisdom of not electing somebody like him, based on popular appeak, skills as an organizer etc. as ONDP secretary, and the wisdom of hiring a person based on administrative skills.

[ 17 January 2005: Message edited by: peterjcassidy ]

[ 17 January 2005: Message edited by: peterjcassidy ]

the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 17 January 2005 11:29 PM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
P.S. Presumbably that federal council meeting will also hold open debate on clawing back the rebate promised the federal ridngs. There has been some limited opportunities for input into that issue, and for this mercy much thanks. Unfortunately, there has been serious communication problems and there is such a paucity of information that about all we can say is " We want the money promised us."

Not sure of what you speak -- are there allegations that the federal party intends to not return to ridings receiving a rebate their 20% share once the federal party gets it?

Is this a concern arising from frustration with the normal time frames for sending the money?

Or is this sourced in a misrepresentation of what the federal party promised (ie: what was approved by federal council)?

From: London, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 18 January 2005 10:47 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Synonyms: gossip, hearsay, rumor, buzz.

Are you nominating Buzz?

peterjcassidy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 372

posted 18 January 2005 01:38 PM      Profile for peterjcassidy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Piatkowski:

Are you nominating Buzz?

I always thought Basil was a nice spice.
(Now that should provoke a reaction!!)

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca