FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the NDP   » Party Website

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Party Website
JasonG
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7603

posted 17 December 2004 06:41 PM      Profile for JasonG     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is it just me, or does the party website need a little sprucing up?

Since a professional-looking web presence means a lot these days in terms of business, or in politics, can we not modify the existing page to present a true reflection of the "new energy" that Jack and the caucus bring to the party, without being somewhat blinding (ie: lots of yellow and hard to read print at top).

The Liberal page is a good example of proper format. Even though I disagree with their ideology (whatever it may be on a particular day), they have a nice looking page.

From: London, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Budd Campbell
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7019

posted 17 December 2004 08:10 PM      Profile for Budd Campbell        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonG:
Is it just me, or does the party website need a little sprucing up?

No, ... it's a joke. It needs to be scrapped and replaced with something decent. It was better, though not great, before the election.

The BC NDP website was better three years ago before it was updated. Now it too is a joke.

From: Kerrisdale-Point Grey, Vancouver | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
natural wonder
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6912

posted 18 December 2004 01:06 PM      Profile for natural wonder     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree too. I hate when you scroll down there's all that horrible blank space in the middle! Surely there must be an NDPer out there who could to a site overhaul - maybe even for free.
From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 18 December 2004 01:11 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh I'm sure they've offered many times. But the NDP is bound by collective agreements of those who do the site now. Also, I think the communications people are not a web-savvy bunch, and think anything that doesn't say "ANGELFIRE!" amounts to a fantastic website.
From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
natural wonder
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6912

posted 18 December 2004 04:06 PM      Profile for natural wonder     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I guess we should tell the paid person (politely) that their site sucks.
From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
redlion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7638

posted 19 December 2004 01:44 AM      Profile for redlion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is it me or what, but I can't seem to find anything about the party platform on this site?
I found something on Google but it wasn't very good either. There should be a site with clear policy statements. As for the BC site its policy statements are rather vague and limited.

Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7142

posted 19 December 2004 02:03 AM      Profile for Left Turn        Edit/Delete Post
Here's the stuff that I would like to see on the NDP website (other than what's there now).

Party Policy Platform
Party History
Discussion Forums

Also, I don't like the overall look of the website. I would prefer less of the really bright, garish colours.

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 19 December 2004 05:12 AM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
One minor design quibble I have with the site is that it isn't centred. I have a wide screen computer, so the NDP site ends up having all its tables and content way on the left side of the screen with a huge patch of white space. However, I checked the other parties' site and the Libs and the Cons do this too. Looks like the Bloc wins on visual appeal. I notice the Bloc has a lot of features, too - a link to their youth site, for instance, (also fairly well done)as well as a blog-like method to input comments on their news blurbs. So, compared to the Libs and Cons the NDP site doesn't suck *that* bad I think. I didn't go too far into either of them, but it doesn't appear that they have any of the requested features either.

I'm not sure a forum would be a good idea unless the registration was limited to members only. Non-members could only read posts but not post themselves. Otherwise, it would be troll city in a hurry, I think.

From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 19 December 2004 10:33 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by dokidoki:
I'm not sure a forum would be a good idea unless the registration was limited to members only. Non-members could only read posts but not post themselves. Otherwise, it would be troll city in a hurry, I think.
Some other parties have a password-only part of their sites devoted to such things as policy discussions.

Other things we should have:
-Riding association, exec and federal council info, Youth section, LGBT committee, POW, etc. contacts.
-"Volunteer of the week". Conservatives have that.
-Party constitution.
-info on the next convention, even if it is a whopping six months away still.
-i liked it back when we had a link to "our friends". How about a link to labour sites, fair vote canada, social movements, and at the very least provincial sections.
-what ever happened to our web-based campaigns?

We should also have a regular email with:
-message from the leader
-the week in news
-volunteer profile
-A message from Quebec. If the Cons do it with Josee Vernier, certainly we can do it with Pierre!

From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 19 December 2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What with the explosion of broadband access in Canada, the site could also stand to have more multimedia content, whether that's important speeches given in or out of Parliament, the content of news conferences, etc. NDP MP blogs might not be a bad idea either - it would be nice to be able to show on a day-to-day basis what they've been up to.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7142

posted 20 December 2004 12:23 AM      Profile for Left Turn        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Some other parties have a password-only part of their sites devoted to such things as policy discussions.

The old NDP site had this too.

captain_easychord
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1296

posted 20 December 2004 04:32 AM      Profile for captain_easychord     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Discussion forums are rarely a good idea, and certainly not for a 'public face' website.

Volunteer-of-the-week is hokey; I'd hate it. Good MP profiles are good, though, in terms of humanizing Parliament.

I would love a good riding-by-riding contact list. What comes next is a good set of individual riding websites, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

I like the minimal design of the current BC NDP site. It's classy and restrained, with focus obviously on the text and not on photos of the leader's face, etc. It's really easy to look at, which is very important.

I don't know that multimedia content is necesary. When it's present, I almost never look at it, and it's rarely useful when I do. Go for simplicity.

From: The West Beyond the West | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca