Author Topic: NDP and First Nations
thwap
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5062

posted 14 December 2004 06:10 PM      Profile for thwap        Edit/Delete Post
I was here and I saw a story here :

quote:
Chartrand slams NDP
MMF president David Chartrand says the Manitoba provincial government has gone back on a pledge to honour the organization's recently issued Métis harvester identification cards.
"At our recent AGA Premier Doer announced his government would respect the Supreme Court decision on Powley and respect Métis rights.

... and I thought I'd ask babblers what's up with the NDP and First Nations people generally. Do we have a good record overall? A middling to poor record? What do babbler ndp activists think? (I don't think I am aware of any First Nations babblers actually.)

For the record, I think Canada's treatment of the First Nations people is an international disgrace, that needs to be rectified.

I also think that the NDP is flawed, like any other large organization, but it remains, at present, the best vehicle for achieving political change, and it should be the starting point for any sane Canadian voter.

.. apologies if formatting didn't work as planned.

NP
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 226

posted 14 December 2004 08:30 PM      Profile for NP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well for starters, I think it's important to note there is a difference between Metis peoples and first nations peoples....
From: The city that rhymes with fun | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 15 December 2004 12:12 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, First Nations had treaties that were broken and ignored, while Metis had legal rights and land grants that were broken or cheated out of.

Of course, there is also the fact that no First Nation peoples east of Manitoba are considered to be Metis.

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
thorin_bane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6194

posted 15 December 2004 01:07 AM      Profile for thorin_bane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am metis and myfamily is from ontario and quebec as far as I know.
From: Looking at the despair of Detroit from across the river! | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 15 December 2004 11:20 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Actually I was being sarcastic, as I do not believe there is a difference between First Nations and Metis other than Treaties for Bands and Metis having been given personal land grants.

http://www.metisnation.org/

Currently, the Métis Nation does not have a Constitution. However, Métis people from throughout the Homeland have consistently expressed their desire to have a Métis Nation Constitution in order to strengthen Métis nationalism and build a stronger and more effective national governance structure. This site maintained by the Metis National Council has been created to provide Métis citizens, from throughout the Homeland, an opportunity to be aware of, updated on, and participate in the Métis Nation's constitutional development process.

Of course there are Metis east of Manitoba, but have you personally tried to get land that was promised or status those Metis east of Manitoba deserve to have? The fight for Metis status in the east is ongoing and recognition of right is slowly accummulating.

For example, my daughter's heritage on her father's side is Mi'kmaq and French. Her father's family should have had full status and Metis status years ago, and only now is it becoming possible. The treaty rights were only recognized in 1986 and rights have had to be fought for ever since.

1986 CE
The Santé Mawiómi announced that October 1st would be known as "Treaty Day" to commemorate the relationship between the Míkmaq and Her Majesty.

http://www.mikmaq.net/history/1901ce-2000ce.html

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca