babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the NDP   » "Being A New Democrat In BC Is Like Being Black In Alabama"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: "Being A New Democrat In BC Is Like Being Black In Alabama"
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 08 December 2004 01:05 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mike Harcourt's Bold Predictions
quote:
“I’m not going to be the Don Cherry of B.C. politics. My politicians anonymous group requires it,” he says. Then he adds, with characteristic deference, “I find it a problem when people don’t do what they say they are going to do, whoever it is.”

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 08 December 2004 07:08 AM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
Considering Harcourt said being a New Democrat in BC is NOT like being black in Alabama, your headline is rather misleading.
From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
captain_easychord
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1296

posted 08 December 2004 07:15 AM      Profile for captain_easychord     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
In fact, the memory of politics seems to shake him more than his accident, as he pulls apart a muffin and a Danish and lets his coffee get cold. “Being a New Democrat in B.C. is like being black in Alabama,” he says. He feels he was always just a step ahead of “the dragon’s breath.”

Actually, it's correct.

From: The West Beyond the West | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dagmar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5444

posted 08 December 2004 08:41 PM      Profile for Dagmar   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Get a grip! Being NDP in BC is not like being Black in Alabama. To make light of serious racial injustices with this comment is offensive, not to mention stupid in the extreme. Life really isn't all that bad. Let's build a party. Let's stop being freaky. Let's get off our asses and go to work!
From: Santa looks a lot like Daggy! | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 08 December 2004 09:08 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Get a grip! Being NDP in BC is not like being Black in Alabama

I agree, but you wouldn't know.

I don't think Harcourt believes that either. He was just trying to be funny in communicating the persecution he felt from the moment he took office. I don't doubt that the feeling was legitimate. He probably wasn't even aware of half the forces allied against him.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 08 December 2004 09:19 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
First and last time I'll ever say this: Dagmar is right

Nobody in Alabama pretends to be Black.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 08 December 2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 08 December 2004 10:57 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
But NO ONE EVER SAID IT WAS, least of all Harcourt.

The author of the article (not Harcourt) said,

quote:
Today Mike Harcourt is still working in the public’s service, but “without all the hassle.” It’s not entirely the life of a black in Alabama, notwithstanding Finance Minister Gary Collins, who once compared B.C. under the NDP to Cuba and demonized Harcourt at the B.C. Liberals’ annual convention.

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 09 December 2004 12:29 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Read just above that, RB. Here's a broader quote:
quote:
In a book that’s mostly about what’s right — with our health care system and with the human spirit — Mike Harcourt is most succinctly defined when he declares what’s wrong.

In fact, the memory of politics seems to shake him more than his accident, as he pulls apart a muffin and a Danish and lets his coffee get cold. “Being a New Democrat in B.C. is like being black in Alabama,” he says. He feels he was always just a step ahead of “the dragon’s breath.”

Today Mike Harcourt is still working in the public’s service, but “without all the hassle.” It’s not entirely the life of a black in Alabama, notwithstanding Finance Minister Gary Collins, who once compared B.C. under the NDP to Cuba and demonized Harcourt at the B.C. Liberals’ annual convention.
So Harcourt DID say that, and the author of the article riffed on it by saying "It’s not entirely the life of a black in Alabama...".

Anyway, it's not a big deal. The comparison is kind of silly, and it's not the main point of the article.

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 09 December 2004 12:37 AM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post
Uhmm...if life is difficult for a New Democrat in BC, then what should we call it for a New Democrat in Alberta? Southern Alberta!!
From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dagmar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5444

posted 09 December 2004 03:05 AM      Profile for Dagmar   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Before I respond, let me first say, Lagatta, lick me. Secondly, it is not just a silly comparison, but an offensive one. (Not that I would expect many of you to be able to discern an extreme view or statement from a reasonable one), but such a comment is extreme in nature and makes light of the real struggle that blacks have faced in the southern US. There is also absolutely no parallel between the situations to be seen, which makes the statement of comparison not just an over-the-top extreme exaggeration, but one that is completely crazy and baseless. People who are discriminated against are people who are powerless. And they don't bring it upon themselves. The Harcourt government had considerable power, and much of the scorn that the NDP got during their last term it earned fair and square.
From: Santa looks a lot like Daggy! | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 09 December 2004 04:19 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This province tends to be pretty right-wing even under NDP Governments, so it's not surprising that when the NDP tries to move left in this province, it gets hooted and hollered at by the hee-haw crowd that thinks Gordo is a saint and that there was no hatchet job done on the NDP.

Politics pre-1996 seems positively enlightened and tame by today's standards, but I remember even back then ol' Mikey couldn't move an inch without getting blasted by everybody on down from ol' Gordo.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 09 December 2004 04:45 AM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't see it being any easier this time around, Doc, since the Liberal party still owns the news media (as you know).
From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 09 December 2004 07:58 AM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Albireo:
Read just above that, RB. Here's a broader quote: So Harcourt DID say that, and the author of the article riffed on it by saying "It’s not entirely the life of a black in Alabama...".

Ooops. I disagree though, I think it is a big deal to compare the two (now that it turns out he said it). Very offensive, IMO.

Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 09 December 2004 08:17 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree with those who think it was offensive -- it's kind of a dumb analogy. Luckily he isn't running for the NDP again, not because of the man himself, but because this would be a tiresome bother that the Libs with their foaming at the mouth type cynicism would use to criticize BC New Democrats and claim that Harcourt is a racist. He hasn't shown any reason he is, but this was surely a stupid thing to say.

[ 09 December 2004: Message edited by: Vansterdam Kid ]

f1 dad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6141

posted 09 December 2004 10:14 AM      Profile for f1 dad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
First and last time I'll ever say this: Dagmar is right

Nobody in Alabama pretends to be Black.

How many NDPers in BC have been lynched? You can poke fun all you want, but Dagmar's right.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 09 December 2004 10:21 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm not poking fun about the violent and persistent racism in Alabama - I recently posted an item about the fact that Alabamians (?) CONFIRMED the racist language and concepts in their state constitution. No, I actually AGREED with Dagmar on that point - and with Phonicidal about an aspect of the circ thread

But people who put forth basically right-wing concepts and tell people on the "left" that they aren't successful because they fail to go along with the TINA programme, sorry, we've seen where that leads. Toady Blair.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 09 December 2004 03:01 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I notice in the article Harcourt favours RAV. WTF? OK, he's in favour of skytrain expansion and figures it's all good if the money is there for transit in general. OK, I can see that perspective. But RAV? With its bloody P3?

%$#@!

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 10 December 2004 04:58 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Stupid thing to say, no doubt. What does this have to do with the current NDP party?
From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
swirrlygrrl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2170

posted 10 December 2004 06:07 PM      Profile for swirrlygrrl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Another party? But the NDP just had one. Well, there was the hill Christmas party on Wednesday - good times. Let it never be said that the New Democratic Party doesn't know how to party. But, I don't think that it regularly needs to be reinforced with needless repitition. Others might get a complex.
From: the bushes outside your house | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca