babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the NDP   » Layton's NDP Makes Another Great Move - Appointing Special Quebec Adviser !

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Layton's NDP Makes Another Great Move - Appointing Special Quebec Adviser !
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 28 November 2004 04:59 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Federal NDP to appoint special adviser on Quebec issues in January
quote:
Protection of the environment and opposition to the U.S. missile shield are just two NDP priorities that mirror the concerns of many Quebecers, Layton said.

"We've always felt that we should have a special connection with Quebec," he said.

"It's very exciting to see the growth (of the party). We've got a lot of young people involved who want to be part of a party that's working on environmental issues and international affairs for peace.

"Those are the big draws right now (for Quebecers) along with our support of Quebec and asymmetrical federalism."

This is a brilliant strategic move a lot of NDP supporters have been waiting for, for a long, long time - a wholesale push into Quebec. Exciting times ahead!

[ 28 November 2004: Message edited by: leftcoastguy ]

leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 28 November 2004 05:12 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
simonvallee....you might consider applying for the Quebec adviser position, or if you don't wish to apply, perhaps you would be able to recommend someone.
Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 28 November 2004 05:31 AM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Pierre Ducasse, surely?
From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 28 November 2004 09:32 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This good news, Jack is certainly being targeted and focused. Impressive actually!
From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 28 November 2004 10:55 AM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
According to an article by Les Perreaux of CP the battle for Quebec has started.

It seems that Layton and Harper are trying to woo voters. Who will win? Only the next election will show.

Neither have seats or as big an organization as the Liberals.

the new battle of quebec

leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 28 November 2004 11:28 AM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hiring a Special Quebec Adviser I suppose, boils down to how much money the party has. I wonder what the financial position of the party is. Didn't the NDP mortgage its building in Ottawa during, or for, the last federal election campaign?

simonvallee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5141

posted 28 November 2004 03:33 PM      Profile for simonvallee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think Pierre Ducasse may be a good idea, but he is already president of the Québec section, no? The question is also whether the adviser is going to have a PR role, making public statements on the party policy or simply being an adviser behind the curtains, giving advice and opinions. If the second is true, he doesn't need to be particularly well-known, nor very charismatic, he needs to be wise.

If this is true, then Ducasse might not be as good an idea as thought before, because he has talents that are much better used in other positions. If this is only a messenger boy and an adviser, then Pierre's charisma is going to be wasted.

From: Boucherville, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 28 November 2004 03:36 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Don't the parties get an election costs check in January?

quote:
Originally posted by leftcoastguy:
Hiring a Special Quebec Adviser I suppose, boils down to how much money the party has. I wonder what the financial position of the party is. Didn't the NDP mortgage its building in Ottawa during, or for, the last federal election campaign?

kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 28 November 2004 03:53 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Simon, i think it's true that this largely depends on the role of the adviser in question, and that Pierre shouldn't be the only candidate, but i don't think his talents would go wasted even if this isn't a mediatic post. If the job is an advisory one to the caucus, i think Pierre's popularity among party members, stemming from his leadership bid (or more specifically, convention speech) and his familiarity with the NDP and its caucus would give him some authority and legitimacy which other candidates might lack. Plus, even if it's not a mediatic role, don't forget that whoever is hired will have one hell of a job selling Quebec issues to caucus. Any idea if he's back working in community economic development?

What the Cons dis was appoint one of their "star" candidates, Josee Vernier, so i suppose we would do the same?

I wonder what role the Quebec Section will play in all of this. Their convention is this weekend (and no, Pierre is vice-pres of the federal party, but not of the Quebec Section, whose pres until today was Andre Cardinal). I certainly hope that the new exec has some sort of say in the hiring process.

From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 28 November 2004 03:55 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The CPC did an interesting thing with their critic portfolios. Since they do not have an MP from Quebec they named a defeated candidate a "critic". Would the NDP consider doing the same with their special advisor who ever she/he is?
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 28 November 2004 04:04 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftcoastguy:
Didn't the NDP mortgage its building in Ottawa during, or for, the last federal election campaign?

That is the purpose of the building, which was donated by the CLC.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 28 November 2004 04:16 PM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles:
The CPC did an interesting thing with their critic portfolios. Since they do not have an MP from Quebec they named a defeated candidate a "critic". Would the NDP consider doing the same with their special advisor who ever she/he is?

Jack did that with Pierre last year.

From: London, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 28 November 2004 04:19 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Andrew I guess one difference is that this morning i went to both websites. CPC and NDP.

CPC has their "quebec critic" listed as a shadow cabinet member.

NDP does not "publisize Pierre" the same way.

the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 28 November 2004 04:42 PM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles:
Andrew I guess one difference is that this morning i went to both websites. CPC and NDP.

CPC has their "quebec critic" listed as a shadow cabinet member.

NDP does not "publisize Pierre" the same way.

It isn't last year anymore.

Pierre was appointed associate critic in February 2003. I don't think he was included again after the election, but I haven't paid particular attention to it.

simonvallee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5141

posted 28 November 2004 04:44 PM      Profile for simonvallee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, I haven't heard of it, or if I did I don't remember, which is bad news. If people don't know your good moves, they don't really help, do they?
From: Boucherville, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 28 November 2004 05:05 PM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here's an article on the Quebec strategy from La Presse.

N. Morrissette: Layton Sera Plus Visible

This paragraph jumped out at me:

quote:

En effet, depuis que le NPD a fait adopter aux Communes une résolution visant à interdire les acides gras trans dans les produits alimentaires vendus au pays, Jack Layton a accordé plus d'entrevues au Québec que dans le reste du Canada. Signe incontestable que le NPD est proche des Québécois, a souligné M. Layton en entrevue à La Presse.

Layton gave more interviews after the trans-fat vote to reporters in Quebec than in the rest of Canada. Does this reflect a much higher degree of interest in this issue in Quebec than in other parts of Canada?

The article concludes with this recognition by Layton of the need to turn interest into support:

quote:

Conscient que rien n'est encore gagné au Québec, le chef néo-démocrate estime toutefois que le jeu en vaut la chandelle. «Il y a beaucoup de travail à faire, c'est évident. Mais, pour nous, le défi c'est de transformer l'intérêt en appui.»

[ 28 November 2004: Message edited by: sgm ]

From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 28 November 2004 05:49 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgm:
Layton gave more interviews after the trans-fat vote to reporters in Quebec than in the rest of Canada. Does this reflect a much higher degree of interest in this issue in Quebec than in other parts of Canada?

I don't know if there is any connection, but butter-coloured margerine is still illegal in Quebec (and nowhere else in Canada).

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
mayakovsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5171

posted 28 November 2004 06:42 PM      Profile for mayakovsky     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The NDP-Section Quebec finished its Congres a few hours ago. IMO the Quebec wing is definitely rejuvenated and prepared to make serious inroads in the province.

As for the issue of trans fats, I was just discussing with someone how this had disappeared from the media. It appears at the very least the french media is more willing to take this unique proposal seriously. Does this affect poutine? I do love my occasional poutine!

As for the colour of Quebec margarine, my understanding is that it is a result of the dairy lobby. Their concern being not one of health but that consumers would not be able to differentiate between butter and margarine. So far we have been able to but if someone puts m'urre or burgarine on the market, then who knows?

kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 28 November 2004 06:45 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
mayakovsky: I've been waiting all day to hear about the congress. Who's on the new executive? Who's President? PLEASE TELL ME!?!
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 28 November 2004 06:55 PM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
mayakovsky....tu as raison!
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 28 November 2004 07:06 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It is wonderful news about the rejuvenated PQ NDPers.
mayakovsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5171

posted 28 November 2004 07:39 PM      Profile for mayakovsky     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
kingblake I have mislaid my copy of the election results. You should probably contact someone from the organizing team for a comprehensive list. As you may or may not know the elections were expanded with the regie and the executif. After a weekend of conferencing and so many elections I am drawing some blanks. I do remember that Piper, Andre and Tom were elected.

I can say that membership was up, I saw many new faces. I believe there is a new dynamism with the regional reps who will be responsible for augmenting NDP visibility in the province. Jack's speech went over very well. Also I think important solidarity links were made provincially after a presentation from Option Citoyenne.

kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 28 November 2004 07:44 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That would be Andre Frappier, right? Not Cardinal? I hope Steve Moran and Nicole Fournier are on the new exec.

Did we get gender parity?

So someone was there from OC. Thats good.

[ 28 November 2004: Message edited by: kingblake ]

NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 28 November 2004 07:58 PM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Harper wants to rebuild the Mulroney Coalition.

I hope he's not planning to get laughed out of Quebec.

mayakovsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5171

posted 28 November 2004 08:08 PM      Profile for mayakovsky     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No Andre Cardinal. I didn't see Andre Frappier.
mayakovsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5171

posted 28 November 2004 08:09 PM      Profile for mayakovsky     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes to gender parity and new commission for GLBTT.
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 28 November 2004 08:18 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Frappier wasn't there?!? That's not good.
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 28 November 2004 08:33 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why?
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 28 November 2004 09:39 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It would've been nice to have someone from the Quebec labour movement on exec, particularly someone as eloquent as he, and of his stature.
sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 29 November 2004 01:39 AM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Piatkowski:

I don't know if there is any connection, but butter-coloured margerine is still illegal in Quebec (and nowhere else in Canada).

Good point, Scott. Another thing that made me ask the question was a story I heard recently about a Quebec-based potato-chip company that prides itself on being an industry-leader in creating trans-fat-free croustilles:

quote:

Yum Yum prend le virage sans gras trans

Warwick (Québec), 25 novembre 2004 - Croustilles Yum Yum, une entreprise entièrement québécoise, devient le premier manufacturier sur le marché canadien dont la gamme complète de croustilles régulières peut se prévaloir de la mention « 0 gras trans ».

Full Story.

If Quebec's Yum Yum was indeed first, others have been swift to follow. The ketchup chips I'm munching on right now from Old Dutch have a distinct "0 Trans Fats/Gras Trans" label on the upper right corner of the bag.

From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 29 November 2004 02:24 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingblake:
It would've been nice to have someone from the Quebec labour movement on exec, particularly someone as eloquent as he, and of his stature.

Thank you, I had thought maybe there was something else with the abscence, or is there?

Dagmar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5444

posted 29 November 2004 02:48 AM      Profile for Dagmar   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Nice to see that Layton is focussed on Quebec. I wonder when the NDP will start focussing on the West, you know, where it would actually have a chance in hell of winning seats? The NDP could win seats again if the party were to become more palatable to common folks.

Nah... screw that... let's appoint a special advisor to Quebec.

Yep, Layton's NDP makes another great move

From: Santa looks a lot like Daggy! | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 29 November 2004 03:42 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Your short sightedness and intolerance is truly astonishing!
Tom Vouloumanos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3177

posted 29 November 2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Tom Vouloumanos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
SPECIAL ADVISOR:

I'm ecstatic that we got this. Those of us at the last federal council really pushed hard for this.

I see this role as having three components:

1- A behind-the-curtain startegist, message-advisor and researcher that works closely with the Leader and the Québec Section

2- A political outreach person who will be a bridhe between the Québec left (social movements, unions, co-op organizations, other left parties etc.) and the leader

3- A media spokesperson that can speak for the NDP (since we don't have a provincial partty in Québec) and spin Jack's message.

AS FOR QUÉBEC BEING A WASTE OF TIME:

A party that cannot do well in Quebec will never govern. Ontario only votes en masse for parties that do well in Québec. The better the NDP does in Québec the better in Ontario, the more it will be seen as a potential government, this is a histotical constant in Canada. Yes, we can win more seats elsewhere in the short term, but that only means that we will have a lrger opposition caucus and not invest in our future of being a potential government. Anothe reason we need to concentrate on Québec is that the NDP's popular vote in the West has some growth potential but in Québec the NDP has enormous growth potential. A 15% vote in Québec is like a 100% in Saskatechewan, just becasue of the size of the population. Therefore, in the short term (as we build), there are strong financial benefits in terms of concentrating on Québec that don't exist elsewhere. There is a huge pool of potential voters and if we don't get them, others will.

AS FOR THE NPD-QC 2004 CONVENTION:

I don't remember all the names and poiistoin but here are some (sorry for spelling errors):

President: Stephen Moran
Associate President: Annick Bergeron
Secretary: Nicole Fournier
Treasurer: Raoul Gelbert
Organizing Director: Laura Colella
Policy Director: André Cardinal
Satutes Director: Andrew Fernandes
Communications Director: Guy Caron
Womens' Rep: Piper Huggins
Youth Rep: Jean-Guy Côté
Counillor for Montreal (M): Anastasios Kouros
Counillor for Montreal (F): Diane Bolloten
Councillor for East-Québec: Alexandre Fallon
(there were other regional coucnillors and other advocacy group reps that were elected such as LGBT...)
Federal Coucillor: Tom Vouloumanos

We also had a workshops and a plenary session whose goal was to answer the question: What must we do to elect a Québec NDP caucus within the next decade and hence, be see as an alternative government. I had prepared a short document that keyed in on why the NDP has not elected anyone (other than Edmonston in a by-election) in Quebec in 40 years to put things into context during the workshops. We also debated 24 resolutions and revamped our statutes.

Pierre Ducasse, Adam Giambrone, a rep from Option Citoyenne, a rep from a Human Rights group and of course Jack Layton were Keynote speakers.

[ 29 November 2004: Message edited by: Tom Vouloumanos ]

kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 29 November 2004 01:03 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Looks like a strong exec, and i like the re-organization too.
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 29 November 2004 02:27 PM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Tom.....great news. Thanks for the details.
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 29 November 2004 03:25 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A party that cannot do well in Quebec will never govern. Ontario only votes en masse for parties that do well in Québec. The better the NDP does in Québec the better in Ontario, the more it will be seen as a potential government, this is a histotical constant in Canada. Yes, we can win more seats elsewhere in the short term, but that only means that we will have a larger opposition caucus and not invest in our future of being a potential government.
I agree with this analysis completely. Well said, Tom.

Polunatic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3278

posted 29 November 2004 03:35 PM      Profile for Polunatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Your short sightedness and intolerance is truly astonishing!
I think you're missing Dagmar's point which shouldn't just be brushed off (although I wouldn't express it the same way).

The NDP spent what - $6,000,000 on the last election? They won 19 seats. Shouldn't they be taking a closer look at focussing efforts and resources on regions and ridings where they're in the running?

That's not to say I'm opposed to a special adviser or efforts to make further inroads in Quebec (like focussing a lot on one or two seats they might win).

And when the next election comes around, the NDP may have even less resources and need to avoid national "hockey game" ads in favour of regional ads that focus on regional issues.

[ 29 November 2004: Message edited by: Non-partisan partisan ]

From: middle of nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 29 November 2004 04:49 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The NDP doesn't need special whatits for the West. Partly because there's no such thing as "The West". Breaking it down,

The NDP doesn't need special whatsits for British Columbia because they have plenty of MPs and party wheels from BC, who can speak for themselves.

The NDP doesn't need special whatsits for Alberta because let's face it, Alberta's where we try to make inroads after we're solid in every other region in the country.

The NDP doesn't need special whatsits for Saskatchewan . . . well, maybe they do. Saskatchewan should be heartland NDP territory and federally they were nowhere last election; something's wrong and it's time to get serious about understanding the needs of Saskatchahoovians, especially in rural areas.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 29 November 2004 07:36 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Tom: I head Pierre Ducasse declared himself to be an Option Citoyenne member? I thought he was still a pequiste!
Tom Vouloumanos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3177

posted 30 November 2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Tom Vouloumanos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Tom: I head Pierre Ducasse declared himself to be an Option Citoyenne member? I thought he was still a pequiste!

Actually, Pierre has never been a member of the Parti Québecois and has only had carried one party's card in his pocket, the NDP's.

Pierre has supported the PQ on elections mostly to stave off what seemed to him to be a right wing lurch of the Charest Liberals (his foresight was dead on, this is no longer the party of the centre it used to be)and of course he feared the greater right turn of Dumont's Adéquistes. These were the reasons he voted PQ in the last election since he felt that Québec's social democratic gains were under threat by a Charest Liberal or Liberal-ADQ government.

It should also be remembered that the UFP did not run a candidate in his riding. Pierre has also been critical of the UFP's internal structures and he believes its potential merger with Option Citoyenne will allow it to be a broad based party of the Left and less factionalised.

Option Citoyenne is not a political party but a movement, it does wish to merge with the UFP and create a new electoral alternative through this marriage. There are many in OC (Pierre is one of them) that believes that the OC should not take a stand on the infamous Question Nationale and should be a coalition of federalists and sovereignists that are first and foremost democratic socialists.

West Coast Lefty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3697

posted 01 December 2004 02:48 AM      Profile for West Coast Lefty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Option Citoyenne is not a political party but a movement, it does wish to merge with the UFP and create a new electoral alternative through this marriage. There are many in OC (Pierre is one of them) that believes that the OC should not take a stand on the infamous Question Nationale and should be a coalition of federalists and sovereignists that are first and foremost democratic socialists.

That is the best news I've heard in a long time. There are many Québec progressives on both sides of the "question nationale" who would jump at the chance to get involved with this kind of coalition.

quote:
SPECIAL ADVISOR:
I'm ecstatic that we got this. Those of us at the last federal council really pushed hard for this.

I see this role as having three components:

1- A behind-the-curtain startegist, message-advisor and researcher that works closely with the Leader and the Québec Section

2- A political outreach person who will be a bridhe between the Québec left (social movements, unions, co-op organizations, other left parties etc.) and the leader

3- A media spokesperson that can speak for the NDP (since we don't have a provincial partty in Québec) and spin Jack's message.

I agree on the 1st 2 points - the 3rd only makes sense if Ducasse is appointed to the Special Advisor position, otherwise, Ducasse is supposed to be the the Québec media spokesperson for the federal NDP, IIRC. The advisor and outreach roles are distinct from the spokesperson role, or at least they can be structured as separate.

Personally, I think Pierre should stay as the Quebec rep on caucus and do the high-level spokespeson role. The advisor should be somebody from the Quebec labour movement and/or social movements with good links to the UFP/OC/other coalitions, ideally a woman since Pierre and Jack are both men.

quote:
Pierre Ducasse, Adam Giambrone, a rep from Option Citoyenne, a rep from a Human Rights group and of course Jack Layton were Keynote speakers.

Congrats to Tom and the new Quebec NDP exec, it does look like a fine group of people. It is tremendous that OC spoke to the convention. Jack has been committed to building bridges with progressive movements in Quebec and that is more proof that his strategy is working.

I think Quebec will be very much in play in the next federal election. Martin's coziness with Bush, support for BMD, etc, will turn off both franco and anglo federalists, and the BQ momentum will fade as the PQ descends into total internal warfare with the 2005 vote of confidence on Landry's leadership and a likely leadership race to follow.

If we combine Jack's presence, the NDP message that resonates with most Quebeckers, a credible group of Quebec federal NDP candidates and we can seriously target 5-6 seats to win in the next federal, and another 15-20 where we make a significant effort to build a base for next time.

From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 09 December 2004 07:00 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Looks like the position involves being a media spokesperson in Quebec. Here's a link to the PDF job description.

I'd like to hear some people's opinions here. The description mentions some skills which worry me slightly. For one thing, the qualities lists "knowledge of communications tools, including news releases, speaking notes, and newsletters". I'm just worried that whoever becomes "Quebec advisor" will become a glorified translator, rather than a political advisor.

Also, the description makes no mention of the Quebec Section whatsoever. Now, it doesn't have to say specifically, "Follow the directions of the Quebec Sections" but I just wanted to point out that the Youth Organizer description explicitly mentioned "working with the NDYC executive".

No doubt Pierre would be good for this position, since he has credibility with the caucus, but would he be best for the position? Or more specifically, is the position well suited to him? If he wants to keep building in Manicouagan, a job in Ottawa might not be ideal, even if it would benefit the NDP as a whole in Quebec.

Dagmar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5444

posted 10 December 2004 03:25 AM      Profile for Dagmar   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Looks good. I've just re-done my resume, so maybe I'll send a copy along...
Seriously though... is this a great move?

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 10 December 2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
kb: I think the job description is fine. Unless they hire someone with no backbone and in whom they have no confidence, I can't see it becoming a "glorified translation" job. The communications sutff was put in there because the Quebec advisor will be doing a lot of written communications, writting press releases, speaking notes, talking points, etc. Political advising is not just done by oral communications.

I thnk part of the reason that the job description doesn't have any mention of the Quebec Section is that this is a caucus job (ie paid by Parliament) and not a federal office job (paid by the party). Caucus jobs cannot officially have some types of party duties (such as building membership or recruiting candidates for instance). (Obviously caucus staff are partisan, though, and everything they do promotes the party). The Youth Organizer job is a federal office staff position and so has fewer restrictions.

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dagmar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5444

posted 10 December 2004 03:40 PM      Profile for Dagmar   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Obviously the party has enough resources now that it can afford to piss them away in a part of the country that will never support the NDP.

Good. I'll cancel my PAC.

What I'd really like to see is a special advisor to the West because Layton is way out of touch here!

the grey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3604

posted 10 December 2004 04:10 PM      Profile for the grey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dagmar:
Obviously the party has enough resources now that it can afford to piss them away in a part of the country that will never support the NDP.

Good. I'll cancel my PAC.

What I'd really like to see is a special advisor to the West because Layton is way out of touch here!

Dagmar, you're a moron.

1) Never is a really long time.
2) Putting visible resources in Quebec isn't just about Quebec, it's also about Ontario.
3) We will elect more MP's in Ontario in the next election by improving our support in Quebec, even if it doesn't get an MP elected in Quebec.
4) Getting more votes in Quebec, even if it doesn't get an MP elected, gets the party more resources under the new financing regime.
5) Your PAC goes to the party, not caucus. Two very different, and legally separate, pots of money.
6) Special advisors for the West:
Bill Blaikie
Libby Davies
Nathan Cullen
Jean Crowder
Bev Desjarlais
Peter Julian
Pat Martin
Bill Siksay
Judy Wasylycia-Leis
7) You're the one who's out of touch.

Dagmar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5444

posted 10 December 2004 04:33 PM      Profile for Dagmar   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by andrewtgsadler:

Putting visible resources in Quebec isn't just about Quebec, it's also about Ontario.

Thank you -- you made my point for me better than I ever could have myself.

By the way, if you think that the NDP is in tune with the West, you're the one way out of touch. The NDP may be in touch with the West at University Campuses during the 1960's.

West Coast Lefty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3697

posted 12 December 2004 11:07 PM      Profile for West Coast Lefty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
By the way, if you think that the NDP is in tune with the West, you're the one way out of touch. The NDP may be in touch with the West at University Campuses during the 1960's.

You're right, Dagmar, the NDP is totally out of touch with the West. Sure, Gary Doer got re-elected in 2003 with a massive majority government and the Saskatchewan NDP has been in power since 1991 with 4 straight election victories. Jack Layton substantially increased the NDP's popular vote in BC from the 2000 federal election and our BC federal caucus went from 2 to 5 MPs (and would have been more like 8-10 MPs if a few hundred votes had switched places in several ridings). We just doubled our provincial ND caucus in Alberta as well. Boy, we're really going down the tubes in the West, aren't we?

I admit it was tough to lose both our Saskatchewan federal seats, and we have lots of work to do to improve our position in the West, but the NDP's fortunes have definitely improved with Jack both in the West and nationally.

From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 13 December 2004 12:00 AM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
WCL, I could not have said it better myself.
Dagmar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5444

posted 13 December 2004 01:24 AM      Profile for Dagmar   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
I'm sure you couldn't, Stockholm.

I'n not equating the Saskatchewan or Manitoba NDP with the circus sideshow called the Federal Party. Yeah, it's really on the rise in the West. Jack increased the BC seat count from 2 seats to 5. Yep, he's catching on like wildfire. Never mind the fact that the Federal Party was shut out of Saskatchewan (if the NDP can't win in Saskatchewan, where can it win?). Yep, the Federal party is in touch with the West.

You're right. Now that we've conquered the West, it's time to take Quebec.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca