babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the NDP   » NDP raises 3.5 million before campaign financing law comes into effect

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: NDP raises 3.5 million before campaign financing law comes into effect
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 20 December 2003 12:23 PM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
OTTAWA—The NDP has rushed to beat new political donation rules with a fundraising blitz that collected nearly $3.5 million from the country's biggest unions.

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 20 December 2003 12:46 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So, can someone who has seen our new building tell us where it is and what it is like?

Do the Libs and Tories own real estate as well? (I don't mean that as a straight line, either. I mean the parties.)

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 20 December 2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Will that building also serve as HQ?
hibachi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 956

posted 20 December 2003 08:10 PM      Profile for hibachi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Maybe part of it should be for rent-tied-to-income housing for the homeless in the Ottawa area.
From: Toronto, Ont. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 20 December 2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's an office building and an investment meant to generate income and act as collateral.

Converting part of it to housing of any kind would require a capital investment, requiring the party to mortgage it to raise the money.

Using it for subsidized housing would lower its value for those purposes and could lead to bad publicity when the inevitable eviction(s) happen for non-payment of rent or disruptive/illegal activities, as happens in all apartment buildings from time to time.

While I don't agree with union funding of political parties any more than corporate, I am glad these unions helped put the party on a firm footing before the new laws come into effect.

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 20 December 2003 11:47 PM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by albireo:
Will that building also serve as HQ?

While I don't know for sure, I would assume so. The NDP owned its HQ for a great many years until hard times forced its sale after, if I recall correctly, the 1993 election.

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 21 December 2003 12:54 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I thought Jack's handling of Lawton's "tough question" about whether the NDP would be "beholden to unions" was great. He tackled it head-on, not with the dodge we're used to. He echoed her language but took over the message. And in a nutshell, he explained the rationale for trade unions. He converted a moment that right wing social democrats traditionally see as an embarrassing liability that must be defensively managed into a positive -- an offensive political intervention, albeit a small one, of course. Still, small signs that give reason for hope.

Funny how the media doesn't point-blank ask Martin & fuckwits if they're beholden to corporations.

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 21 December 2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
FYI, I suspect that Lawton is a closet NDP supporter herself.
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 21 December 2003 01:07 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, that would explain why she actually used that quote, I suppose. She's taking the Star's traditional line, but not being hardass about it.
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 21 December 2003 11:21 AM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We won't be able to convert any of the space to housing, but yes, it will help us guarantee our election loans (a very important function) and we will be able to use the space during and between elections. I am hoping we will be able to offer meeting space to social movement and community groups - make it a real community space. I'm not sure what Fed office has in mind as the project has been very hush-hush until the news got out this weekend.
From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 21 December 2003 01:45 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Gazette here in Montreal says that the bottom floor of the building is occupied by a Shopper's Drugmart. We will now be collecting their rent.

The Gazoo also says federal office will use the building for their HQ. (By my calculations that would be their 5th move in 5 years!)

There was a quote from Jack saying he hoped to do some energy retrofits on the building, such as installing solar panels.

There was a knee-slapper of a quote from Jason Kenney of the Alliance "Jack Layton has joined the ranks of the Liberal capitalists. He's now a big landlord. I don't think Marx would approve."

Wow, I'm glad to hear the Alliance doesn't approve of capitalism. Maybe there's hope for them yet.

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 21 December 2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jack Layton began the year by winning on the first ballot.

At the end of the year, all he wanted for Christmas was Ed Broadbent, a 3.5 million dollar building (debt free), and Paul Martin creating a "New Liberal" party as far to the right of the old one as Blair's "New Labour" was. And he got all three.

I don't mean to gush, but . . . could anyone have predicted so much success?

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca