babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the NDP   » Broadbent seriously ponders political comeback, decision due this week

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Broadbent seriously ponders political comeback, decision due this week
dale
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3201

posted 16 December 2003 06:44 PM      Profile for dale        Edit/Delete Post
http://www.canoe.ca/NationalTicker/CANOE-wire.NDP-Broadbent.html

quote:

there are several signs that Broadbent is ready to re-enter the political fray.

The New Democrats have been deluged with thousands of e-mails encouraging his return. An Internet Web site -- www.edbroadbent.ca -- is under construction by NDP officials. And the party is abuzz with anticipation about luring the high-profile candidate on board.

One thing is certain: though he resigned the NDP leadership 14 years ago, Broadbent's political fires still burn. At this point, he says, only personal considerations might keep his hat out of the ring.

"The political case for me is not a problem, not at all -- quite the contrary," Broadbent said in an interview Tuesday. "So it's just sorting out the personal matters and reaching a conclusion."

He plans to reveal his intentions this week and many expect he will make the leap.

"I think he'd like to do it," said one NDP insider. "The stars are aligning. More and more people are trying to persuade him. It's going to be positive, I think."

[ 16 December 2003: Message edited by: dale ]

From: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 16 December 2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Terrific news. Let's hope he's the first of many high-profile candidates to come on board.

I feel very optimistic for the future. While the NDP made many mistakes in the 90s, we can't overstate the impact of fear of the Canadian Alliance on soft NDPers and soft Tories.

As someone whose soft-NDP family lives in ridings that have been Liberal for generations but nevertheless all voted Liberal out of fear of Stockwell Day, I know how many votes we lost. I know of similar cases in staunch Tory families.

At its best, the Canadian Alliance came across as Bush Republicans. At its worst, it was well into Rick Santorum/Jesse Helms territory. And it quite rightly scared the hell out of millions of Canadians.

There was no greater proof of that than Jean Chrétien. The man completely exhausted the affection many Canadians once had for him, but he maintained high approval ratings and never once trailed in the polls, an achievement no modern prime minister achieved over multiple terms.

The alternative was simply unthinkable.

Now we know, and most Canadians will know, that what the Red Tories (and Liberals and NDP and a few in the Alliance) have said all along is true, that if the parties merged it would simply not be accepted by voters.

The Conservative Party is incapable of forming a government until/unless it purges the Alliance image. There are rumours yet again of Bernard Lord. If true, we have a tougher fight (and so does Scott Brison), and lose the edge in Quebec.

But either way, this election represents an historic opportunity for the NDP to become the only national opposition (if not the most seats).

What would be ideal is if Alberta abandoned the Reformatories too, making it safe for all our natural supporters, plus die-hard Liberal-haters, to vote for us.

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
John K
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3407

posted 16 December 2003 10:37 PM      Profile for John K        Edit/Delete Post
I think it would be great for Ed to run. He's only slightly older than Paul Martin, younger than Chretien, and living in Ottawa Centre the commute to work would be pretty short. Run Ed run!
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 17 December 2003 06:26 PM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Looks like he's in!

quote:
OTTAWA (CP) - Former federal NDP leader Ed Broadbent is expected to announce his return to politics at a news conference Thursday.

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 17 December 2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But can he beat Richard Mahoney?

Didn't Pawley and Blakeney try to run federally in 1988?

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 17 December 2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But can he beat Richard Mahoney?
Didn't Pawley and Blakeney try to run federally in 1988?

I think he can. In 1988, Pawley ran and lost but that was in an election where the NDP got demolished in Manitoba largely because Pawley's then-recently defeated gov't had been so unpopular. Dave Barrett ran and won in that year as well.

Allan Blakeney has never run federally.

Ed may or may not win, but I do NOT regard Richard Mahoney as I particularly formidable oppoent. Unless you are enough of a political junkie to watch Studio 2 on TVO chances are you have never heard of him. He is a just a Liberal backroom hack. He will be up against a Canadian legend who is one of the most popular politicians in Canadian political history.

I think that a riding like Ottawa Centre is tailor made for the NDP of Jack Layton and is also tailor made for a respected candiadte like Broadbent. This a a downtown riding full of influential people who probably long for being represented by a nationally respected figure after 15 years of a Grade Z nobody like Mac Harb.

Let's not forget another factor. Ottawa Centre is full of federal civil servants who may start getting pissed off at how Martin already seems ready to declare war on them. Also, yesterday, Martin cancelled a slew of capital projects (ie: a new federal court, museum of history etc...) almost all of those cancelled projects are in Ottawa Centre. I think that by April there will be a slew of local issues like these that will also work against the Liberals.

Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 17 December 2003 11:23 PM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Apparently it was just on CBC: he's expected to announce tomorrow that he's running.
From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dalcourt
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4664

posted 17 December 2003 11:35 PM      Profile for Dalcourt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I didn't see that myself and I was just on the site. It was still speculation when I last checked, but I'll check again. Good comments on this topic as well as others by Newbie. Things were polarized, they're opening up a bit. If Ed runs and wins he gives the NDP such a respected voice in Parliament, and otherwise. The NDP do have a great tradition in regards to elder statesman staying in Parliament. It looks good for the NDP, shows that former leaders aren't too ego-driven to serve with a new leader. For the Conservatives, if Lord runs he wins I think no problem now that the system will not be one member on vote but instead delegate driven. Lord gives the NDP a much greater challenge in Québec, sans doute.
spindoctor
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 958

posted 17 December 2003 11:35 PM      Profile for spindoctor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Broadbent returning to politics

The Star seems to have pretty reliable info.

I am still a tad dismayed that we're forced to reach back more than 15 years in our party's history to "get a boost." I suppose this is a fantastic development for the party, I just bemoan the fact that we don't have the stature to recruit big names from today or tomorrow.

From: Kingston, Jamaica.....oh alright....Kingston, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
NED
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4767

posted 18 December 2003 02:49 AM      Profile for NED        Edit/Delete Post
I don't share Spindocter's concern about having to go into the past to recruit a big name. Legitimacy and momentum are all critical to our success in the next election. Each of these can only be acheived by through multiple small victories/successes. Having someone of Broadbent's stature within the Party and, more importantly, with the Canadian public on board is all good.

As a big bonus, if the Lib candidate is as much a Martin protege as the media indicates, the fact that big Ed is running will piss Martin off.

[ 18 December 2003: Message edited by: NED ]

From: Formerly Sask | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
NED
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4767

posted 18 December 2003 04:43 AM      Profile for NED        Edit/Delete Post
The G&M is now reporting that Broadbent will go. In the same article, they speculate that Mills will not. Good news abounds.
From: Formerly Sask | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marc
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 287

posted 18 December 2003 05:23 AM      Profile for Marc     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In the article, Mills says about his departure:
quote:
"It's a natural thing for a person of my style -- an entrepreneurial, left-of-centre Liberal -- to say that maybe we've done our part. . . . I am physically and mentally exhausted."
ROTFL!!!!

Left wing Liberal!?!?!? Compared to who? Tom Wappel? That has to be the funniest thing I read all week.

Globe and Mail

rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 18 December 2003 05:28 AM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Marc you beat me by a couple of minutes!

"It's a natural thing for a person of my style -- an entrepreneurial, left-of-centre Liberal -- to say that maybe we've done our part. . . . I am physically and mentally exhausted."

I agree. Being delusional is quite probably a result of mental exhaustion.

LukeVanc
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2735

posted 18 December 2003 05:56 AM      Profile for LukeVanc     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Dennis Mills... Puke.

quote:

Lord gives the NDP a much greater challenge in Québec, sans doute.

Whoa there pardner! It's not like the NDP has a chance in Quebec anyway. Do you have any idea how much the NDP's prospects in the west will be boosted by the CPC choosing an Atlantic Canadian leader? Just think: Alexa McDonough of the CPC.

If Bernard Lord was elected leader of the CPC, Jack Layton would be the closest leader to western Canada! British Columbians would vote for a Torontonian over a Monctoner or a Montrealer any day!

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 December 2003 06:25 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
ROTFL over Mills here too. Mentally exhausted at the thought of an election campaign against Layton, I'm sure!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 18 December 2003 06:36 AM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by LukeVanc:
Dennis Mills... Puke.

Whoa there pardner! It's not like the NDP has a chance in Quebec anyway.

Here's the full Mills story as reported in the Star: http://tinyurl.com/ytfd6 Apparently he's upset that the federal government won't pay for his SARS wankfest. Hello? You get people to throw a party in Toronto and present the taxpayers with a bill at the end? I don't think so, buddy. Twist in the wind.

Anyone have any idea who the Liberals would run if he does resign? Is anyone challenging him for the nomination already?

When it comes to Lord though, I think your perspective is a bit too focused on seats in this election, and not on the medium-term goal of making the NDP the national opposition (as opposed to Official) and government in waiting.

You're right, the NDP doesn't have a chance in Quebec. Neither do the Conservatives, but Lord makes them a far more palatable option for next time around than Harper. He does the same in Ontario.

Under Stephen Harper, I suspect the Conservatives may no longer have a tenuous claim on being a national party. It's far from impossible to see a scenario where they are simply wiped out east of Manitoba, or even east of Alberta.

Under Lord they might retain a few seats in the Maritimes and win a couple in Quebec and Ontario.

I suspect the Martin victory may be overwhelming -- no matter how much we loathe him -- and we need every advantage we can get, including having the Conservatives be perceived as Reform 3.0, because we may well emerge from this election in second place nationally and in 9 provinces, but with a smaller number of seats than the Conservatives with their Alberta base.

For Lord, if he runs he's picking the worst possible time. As Tory leader he'd have made the merger unnecessary (Lord would have had a FAR better chance of winning seats in Quebec and Ontario as PC leader who hadn't nearly lost an election). If he waits until the Conservatives are blown away in the next election, he can kill off the Reform wing and let the blues take over with a smattering of reds.

[ 18 December 2003: Message edited by: Newbie ]

Shane
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4328

posted 18 December 2003 07:02 AM      Profile for Shane     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Poor Ed Broadbent, gearing up to lose another election.

Rich Mahoney is enormously popular in Ottawa Centre. You could run Jesus under the NDP banner there and the Liberals will still win.

I honestly feel bad for Ed.

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 18 December 2003 09:05 AM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Rich Mahoney is enormously popular in Ottawa Centre. You could run Jesus under the NDP banner there and the Liberals will still win.

Rich who???? Who is this guy?? We are talking about a Toronto-based Liberal hack whose only claim to fame is being on a political panel on Studio 2 on TVO (which probably gets watched by - like 1% of the population). What has the guy ever done for Ottawa? Never elected to anything...never done anything...just a back room boy.

Ottawa Centre went NDP federally in 1984, was lost very narrowly in 1988 and has frequently been NDP provincially...and all this with candiates who do not have one iota of the cross-party lines appeal of Ed. I think Ed will win for sure unless the national campaiogn is a total flop - which I doubt.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 December 2003 09:08 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is Mahoney Toronto-based? I was under the impression that, eg, his wife is a teacher in the Ottawa school board. I figured he just travelled up here on Fridays for Studio 2, although I could be wrong.

(Edited to correct error concerning direction of flow of the St Lawrence River.

sk "I am not Stockwell Day" dadl}

[ 18 December 2003: Message edited by: skdadl ]

inukjuak
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4425

posted 18 December 2003 09:30 AM      Profile for inukjuak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane:
Poor Ed Broadbent, gearing up to lose another election.

You pique my curiosity, Shane. Has Ed EVER lost an election as a candidate (as opposed to his party not winning while he was its leader)? I sure would not want to run against him.

Snuckles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2764

posted 18 December 2003 09:38 AM      Profile for Snuckles   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Why isn't Ed running in Oshawa again, just like the good ol' days? *sniff* I guess Oshawa isn't wanted anymore.

Dr. Mr. Ben
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3265

posted 18 December 2003 09:48 AM      Profile for Dr. Mr. Ben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
You could run Jesus under the NDP banner there and the Liberals will still win.
It's nice to see that some of you folks are finally admitting that if Jesus were going to run, he'd be with us.

From: Mechaslovakia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 December 2003 10:12 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snuckles:
Why isn't Ed running in Oshawa again, just like the good ol' days? *sniff* I guess Oshawa isn't wanted anymore.

Do you live in Oshawa, Snuckles? If so, your location line is sending out some interesting signals about your own opinion of the town.

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 18 December 2003 10:26 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I thought the following unrelated quotes were interesting.

From the Globe:

quote:
New Democratic Party officials were being tight-lipped about the Ottawa news conference announced Wednesday. But party sources say Mr. Broadbent will announce he is seeking the nomination to run in the downtown riding of Ottawa Centre...

I guess the party sources must have said that through tight lips

From the Star:

quote:
He was not promoted in any significant way in Prime Minister Paul Martin's first cabinet.

Um, shouldn't that read, "was completely ignored..."?

and

quote:
"I'm done."

Quick, somebody please stick a fork in him

[ 18 December 2003: Message edited by: Scott Piatkowski ]

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 18 December 2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
It's nice to see that some of you folks are finally admitting that if Jesus were going to run, he'd be with us.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 18 December 2003 11:39 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, Ed's running!

And the best of luck to him. But let's hope the NDP can find some exciting new candidates as well.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 18 December 2003 11:55 AM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Why isn't Ed running in Oshawa again, just like the good ol' days? *sniff* I guess Oshawa isn't wanted anymore

Maybe because he hasn't lived in Oshawa since about the late 1980s!! Ed's home riding is Ottawa Centre so it makes perfect sense for him to run there.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 18 December 2003 01:43 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Woot. I'm sort of anxious about this, too, though - we've had some real old fossils running the government in the last ten years, and another old fossil is running things now, so I'm also a bit concerned that the NDP might be seen as trying to dig up relics of the past.

But then again, the Tories tried to win by tagging Chretien as "Yesterday's Man", but he got to become PM anyway.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 18 December 2003 02:26 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Woot. I'm sort of anxious about this, too, though - we've had some real old fossils running the government in the last ten years, and another old fossil is running things now, so I'm also a bit concerned that the NDP might be seen as trying to dig up relics of the past.

There are enough new faces in the NDP that we don't have to worry about being seen as a party of "old fossils" - esp. with Layton as leader. We can't lose by having Ed on board given that he is so universally respected and is seen as a bridge to the good old days when the NDP could count on 20% opf the vote not 10%. It also shows a great vote of confidence in Jack as leader. I suspect that other more contemporary big names will follow.

spiffy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3518

posted 18 December 2003 02:36 PM      Profile for spiffy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
You could run Jesus under the NDP banner there and the Liberals will still win.

stop the presses! mike cassidy is bigger than jesus!

From: where do you think i'm from? | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 18 December 2003 02:45 PM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, but I bet his mom's not a virgin!
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 18 December 2003 02:50 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie:
Yeah, but I bet his mom's not a virgin!

I dare you to ask.

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul Gross
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3576

posted 18 December 2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Paul Gross   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Who is this mysterious unnamed woman in black on the Globe and Mailfront page?

Looks like a babbler to me...

From: central Centretown in central Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 18 December 2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It looks like Libby Davies. It also looks like Ed was about to vomit.
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 18 December 2003 03:46 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In which case things would have suddenly gotten a lot more colourful. Funny how they always get the most stupid-looking pictures of politicians.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 18 December 2003 03:49 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gross.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Guêpe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4757

posted 18 December 2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Guêpe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is great news! I love it!

I do plan on helping out with Ed's campaign, but I'm worried that he won't be able to win. It's gonna be tough, Mahoney has been working the riding for years. The Libs will put alot of ressources into this riding.

But if anyone can do it, Ed can.

Go! Broadbent Go!

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 18 December 2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The only person to feel sorry for is this Mahoney (who is "Toronto-based" according to the radio) character. He spent the last 6 years plotting to get the Liberal nomiantion in Ottawa Centre thinking that this was the hard part and that winning the actual election would be an anti-climax. Now his dream collapses like a house of cards as he find himself up against the closest thing to God in Canadian politics.

According to the newspaper, NDP polls in OC show NDP support going from 25% without Ed to 54% with Ed!!

The public has never really warmed to backroom boys as star candidates. Those of us in downtown Toronto remember the failed attempts to get Jim Coutts elected as a Liberal!!

inukjuak
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4425

posted 18 December 2003 05:34 PM      Profile for inukjuak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
Funny how they always get the most stupid-looking pictures of politicians.

It's often intentional. For the years that Ed was leader of the NDP the Halifax Chronicle-Herald and Mail-Star (same paper appearing at different times of the day under different names), when they couldn't ignore Ed completely, ran the same photo of him leaning forward and peering up, with his mouth slightly open, so it looked like he'd just had 6 ounces of novocaine injected in his cerebellum. Typical coverage from the "Chroncially Horrid" [motto: "Real Good for Wrapping the Coffee Grounds In"].

rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 18 December 2003 06:02 PM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stockholm:
According to the newspaper, NDP polls in OC show NDP support going from 25% without Ed to 54% with Ed!!

Which paper was it in? I haven't seen that in the Globe or Star (CP) coverage. Was it an article from before the announcement?

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 18 December 2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It looks like a reference to an internal NDP poll, mentioned here:
quote:
"There's been a lot of information-gathering with respect to his prospective candidacy and all the signs point to him doing very, very well," said Jeff Atkinson, who ran and lost for the NDP in Ottawa Centre in the recent provincial election. "In my humble opinion, if he runs, he'll win."

A poll of 332 riding residents conducted by the NDP in mid-October and obtained by CanWest News Service showed that the percentage of people willing to vote NDP jumps from 25 per cent to 54 per cent when Broadbent's name is put forward as the candidate.

Atkinson points out that the last time the NDP won the riding was on the heels of a public service review by the then-Tory government of Brian Mulroney. Prime Minister Paul Martin's plans to review spending in the public service could meet with similar resistance in the riding that is home to many federal bureaucrats, Atkinson said.

"Given the events of the last couple of days, the people who live and work in Ottawa Centre, a lot of those people would be fairly nervous as to what Mr. Martin's up to," he said.

[ 18 December 2003: Message edited by: albireo ]

hibachi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 956

posted 18 December 2003 08:50 PM      Profile for hibachi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Provincially, the result in this riding was:

Patten Lib 20,225
Atkinson NDP 10,492
Varner PC 10,218
Bradshaw, GRN 3,591
Ryan COM 264
Szymanowicz FP 198
Guirguis IND 198

The federal dynamic is different from the provincial one, and I think Ed Broadbent will appeal to NDP, Liberal, and Conservative voters as he will be an excellent representative.

From: Toronto, Ont. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kiavash Najafi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4205

posted 18 December 2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Kiavash Najafi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I volunteered with Jeff Atkinson's campaign. We have a fairly good organization in Ottawa Centre, and the voters are very progressive. The reason we lost in the provincial election was a combination of anti-Tory voters with a collapse of the PC vote and their migration to the Liberals. Besides, Patten was an incumbent. However, we did manage to hold on to our base.

I have to say that a lot of people in Ottawa are getting excited about Broadbent. We'll obviously have a lot of new workers on the campaign. I know that a lot of University of Ottawa students want to volunteer for him. (U of O is not on the riding; it's on the border, so a lot of students live on the riding.) It's going to be an amazing race!

From: Toronto and Ottawa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pimji
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 228

posted 19 December 2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Pimji   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thank You Ed!!!

One of my all time favourite Canadian heros.

From: South of Ottawa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 19 December 2003 01:19 AM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I was a little apprehensive at first, but after seeing the media hype on CBC's "the National" I am totally PUMPED! I have to admit I thought Broadbent was a little too old but he was and still is absolutely incredible and a legend in Canada. It's a dream come true that he is back!

Things keep looking better and better for the NDP! Look at us in our current position compared to where we were in 2000 before the Federal Election. We shed our old " health care health care health care", stale orange, tired leader style and now we are on FIRE!

Our polls are way up in BC to boot!

babbler/dabbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4633

posted 19 December 2003 06:43 AM      Profile for babbler/dabbler        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I suppose this is a fantastic development for the party,I just bemoan the fact that we don't have the stature to recruit big names from today
or tomorrow.

Broadbent, like any other BIG Names was once unknown. If new people are attracted, the extra talented will emerge. It's kind of sad that so many able people hold back from olitics

when they feel it would not be "successful", whatever the hell that is!

Whoever said Broadbent is old? The young Paul Martin has just become a senior! The pyrimids are old, the rainforest is old, this kind of thinking...old. Broadbent is experienced, not old!

What a Christmas gift for the political landscape and Jack Layton. Yes Virginia, there is a hope for the future!

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 19 December 2003 09:27 AM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I suppose this is a fantastic development for the party,I just bemoan the fact that we don't have the stature to recruit big names from today
or tomorrow.

I think that "you ain't seen nothin' yet". It is still early, candidates are just starting to be nominated. I regard the Broadbent announcement as just the beginning of the NDP's recruitment drive for top quality candiadtes. The timing is ideal becasue it feeds into the idea that the party is on the move. This will make it easier to attract top-notch newer younger candidates over the next two months.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 19 December 2003 10:16 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Class warfare" charge:

"When Richard Mahoney heard yesterday that Ed Broadbent would be running against him in the riding of Ottawa Centre, the Liberal candidate accused the NDP of fomenting class warfare. Nonsense, the former NDP leader retorted. It is the Liberals who have "waged a surreptitious class warfare," by cutting corporate taxes while slashing social services."

Mr. Mahoney sounds like George Bush

And a piss poor history lesson:

"Now, let's all give ourselves a shake and remember what actually happened. In the 1950s and 1960s, income gaps in the United States and Canada did in fact narrow, even as wealth in general increased. That was partly achieved through income redistribution, universal social programs and lack of competition.

The costs of those social programs eventually led to chronic deficits, as economic competition from other nations and the price of energy both increased. Worse, the levelling of incomes and the abuse of social-program spending stifled initiative and increased the resentments that were supposed to have eased.

By the end of the 1970s, social tension in Europe and North America was dangerously high, interest rates were in double digits, and unemployment was approaching the same dizzy heights.

In the 1980s and 1990s, most major economies brought their deficits under control by trimming back social spending, while ensuring that core advances in health, education, pensions and welfare remained intact. They also kick-started economic growth by lowering both taxes and trade barriers. Sure enough, trade increased, growth returned, inflation disappeared and unemployment fell.

Britain, Canada and the United States, which have long and honourable traditions of protecting personal independence within a social community, were particularly successful on all of these fronts. The Japanese and most of the Europeans, on the other hand, still struggle with bloated social programs and underperforming economies."

Speaking at least for the U.S., the high interest rates and inflation of the 1970s was caused by the twin oil shocks of 1973 and 1979. Unemployment only shot up when the high interest rates were used to restrain inflation. Deficits only became a chronic problem with the Reagan tax cuts kicked in. And after the wonderful prescription of tax and budget cuts and eliminating tarrifs were put in place, unemployment was still higher than it had been in the 1950s and 1960s. And Canadian unemployment was comparable to Europe's and far higher than Japan's. So much for Ibbitson's history lesson.

http://tinyurl.com/2brj5

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Guêpe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4757

posted 19 December 2003 10:42 AM      Profile for Guêpe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A poll of 332 riding residents conducted by the NDP

One has to admit that 332 residents is a small sample size + it's an internal poll, and those things are geared to what the client wants. (Remember Hampton thought the NDP was gonna win 30 seats in Ontario)

I think Broadbent has an uphill challenge!!! I think he can win it, but this Liberal "backroom boy" is going to have ALOT of ressources going his way. I heard on the CBC yesterday that Ottawa-Centre riding association has the highest Liberal membership of any Liberal RA. That is also a formitable volunteer base.

Broadbent in Ottawa-Centre gives the NDP a chance to win it. Hopefully some CPC voters will cast their ballots for Broadbent in the hopes of ousting a Liberal.

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 19 December 2003 10:54 AM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I worked in Ottawa Centre on Michael Cassidy's successful campaign. The voters there are quite progressive, for the most part, and I have no doubt that the riding will be winnable for someone with Broadbent's credentials.

As for Dennis Mills, since he is now admitting to being "mentally and physically exhausted", I think we should simply make that fact known throughout the riding.

If I were in charge of Jack's campaign organization, I would pass out a flyer, today, titled: Liberal MP Admits He is Mentally Exhausted. Then I'd say something about Jack's energy and new ideas.

Olly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3401

posted 19 December 2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Olly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
One has to admit that 332 residents is a small sample size + it's an internal poll, and those things are geared to what the client wants. (Remember Hampton thought the NDP was gonna win 30 seats in Ontario)

Usually when a party is testing the waters on someone running, the last thing they want is skewed poll results. So unless they did two polls and released the most favourable results to the media to boost public perception that Ed can win, it's likely the poll is pretty accurate. And 332 people in one riding is quite a large sample (remember the Ontario election was predicted correctly on polls of 600 people or so). Although some newspapers did publish poll predictions based on similar riding by riding sample sizes incorrectly. And don't pay attention to what Howard said during the election - that was pure politics and public positioning. I don't think anyone seriously thought the NDP would win 30 seats.

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 19 December 2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I think Broadbent has an uphill challenge!!! I think he can win it, but this Liberal "backroom boy" is going to have ALOT of ressources going his way. I heard on the CBC yesterday that Ottawa-Centre riding association has the highest Liberal membership of any Liberal RA. That is also a formitable volunteer base.

FYI, Ottawa Centre also has one of the largest NDP riding associations in Canada - so there. and on top of that most of the NDP members there are REAL activist members. I'll bet 90% of the so-called Liberal members are made up of the usual instant "Liberal" busloads of old ladies in black dresses who barely knwo what an election is but got their membership paid for so they could pack a nomination meeting.

Martin is clearly launching a vendetta against federal public employees. This will also douse Liberal hopes in a riding that is chalk full of civil servants.

Since Manley quit Ottawa South has opened up. If Mahoney were smart and if Martin wanted him THAT badly, Mahoney would simply resign as Liberal candidate in Centre and get the nomination in the super-safe Liberal seat of Ottawa South instead! Then everyone would be happy.

MJay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4685

posted 19 December 2003 01:43 PM      Profile for MJay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
RE: Ibbitson 'class warfare' article

Sounds like a smear campaign to me from a not-so-credible-columnist who is not worth reading most of the time.

But, I think it is a good sign that Ed and the MDP are getting so much press coverage.

khrisse-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3632

posted 19 December 2003 01:44 PM      Profile for khrisse-boy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mahoney does indeed live in Ottawa Centre with his family and has a reasonably good profile in the community, as well as the support within the party that a backroom boy gets. Richard has been working the local scene for years now in preparation for running in this election. He's also got strong support from the Liberal election machine, which is not to be sneezed at.

As a resident of Ottawa Centre, I'm thrilled that Ed will seek the nomination and I intend to volunteer to see him get elected. However, I do think it will be a real fight. Having Ed as the candidate, plus the early signs from Paul Martin's new team of neo-cons of cuts to government spending (never popular in a government town) gives us a real chance to elect an NDPer. It won't be a cakewalk though.

Guêpe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4757

posted 19 December 2003 01:59 PM      Profile for Guêpe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Mahoney does indeed live in Ottawa Centre with his family and has a reasonably good profile in the community, as well as the support within the party that a backroom boy gets. Richard has been working the local scene for years now in preparation for running in this election. He's also got strong support from the Liberal election machine, which is not to be sneezed at.
As a resident of Ottawa Centre, I'm thrilled that Ed will seek the nomination and I intend to volunteer to see him get elected. However, I do think it will be a real fight. Having Ed as the candidate, plus the early signs from Paul Martin's new team of neo-cons of cuts to government spending (never popular in a government town) gives us a real chance to elect an NDPer. It won't be a cakewalk though.

My sentiments exactly.

We shouldn't confuse a good fighting chance with assured victory. The Liberals have every intention of trying to pull off a mandate similar to Mulroney in 1984. And they indend on winning Ottawa-Centre.

If Ed wins this riding, he's going to have to work for it. As is the NDP.

Also for those who say that voters in a riding are "progressive" keep in mind that many people who consider themselves (and are) progressive, view voting Liberal as a progressive vote many view voting NDP as a radical vote. - Which its not!

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 19 December 2003 02:18 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Also for those who say that voters in a riding are "progressive" keep in mind that many people who consider themselves (and are) progressive, view voting Liberal as a progressive vote many view voting NDP as a radical vote. - Which its not!

I agree 100% that nothing should be taken for granted and that ED and the local NDP will have to work like hell to win. BUT, I also think that there if there is anyone in Canada who has an appeal across party lines to anyone vaguely progressive - it is Ed Broadbent. The man is a national icon. I think that when it is him against some run of the mill slick Liberal backroom operative like Mahoney, you will have a stampede of Red Tories and chattering class types voting for Ed and not for the Liberal. This will intensive as each passing gives us more and more evidence of just what a quantum leap to the right Martin represents compared to Chretien.

vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 19 December 2003 03:09 PM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No one in Ottawa Centre assumes it will be a cakewalk. It will be a fight, that's for sure. But we are ready for it... and looking forward to it!

Yesterday was nuts. There was a ton of media at the press conference, and an amazing amount of attention throughout the day. When I got home there were several messages from complete strangers on my voice mail, offering help for Ed's campaign. When I opened my email, there were dozens more. Ed says that people are stopping him on the street and telling him how pleased they are to see him back in the game. It's pretty exciting, I have to say.

Class warfare? Bring it on, Mahoney!

From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cpar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4441

posted 19 December 2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Cpar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think that Ed running in Ottawa is excellent news and will help raise the profile of the party and increase our share of the vote as well. I suspect that there are many whom will simply vote for Ed regardless of the party, and that will ensure a win.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 19 December 2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJay:
I think it is a good sign that Ed and the NDP are getting so much press coverage.
I'll say. This morning, CBC Radio One's "The Current" was almost wall-to-wall NDP: the intro by "the voice", an interview with Jack Layton, and then a panel about the NDP with Judy Rebick, Gerry Caplan and Ayesha Adhami. That took the entire time leading up to the 9am news... and then they continued the panel after the news. The NDP is being treated as relevant and important again.

Highlights and Audio from today's "The Current"

[ 19 December 2003: Message edited by: albireo ]

vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 19 December 2003 04:34 PM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
orange leg-warmers, funny....not sure they will go with my boa, but they'll be great for those long winter demos!
From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca