FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the NDP   » Montreal Muslim News endorses NDP

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Montreal Muslim News endorses NDP
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 10 December 2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
MMN is a very progressive organisation, speaking out on all kinds of progressive and free-speech issues.

They have a great editorial this week titled "Let's Unite Against The Right"

quote:
Sadly, we Muslims have turned away from those who have stood up for us and defended our rights in this country, and instead have turned to those who are committing harm to our community. This has got to stop now. 

What other party in this country has spoken out boldly against racial profiling and the unjust anti terror legislation, which is nothing more than a pre-text to restrict our civil liberties? What party has consistently championed the fight for justice, clarity and accountability in the House of Commons?  What party has actively reached out to our community with words and actions of solidarity at a time when we are feeling under siege and unfairly targeted? What party has spoken out on behalf of Maher Arar, the rights of the Palestinian people, and against this unjust colonial war launched against the people of Iraq?  What party has championed the cause of the underdog, the poor and dispossessed in this country and called for a more just distribution of wealth based upon social justice and equality?

We are speaking, of course, of the New Democratic Party. 

Are not these issues close to the heart of every Muslim, and in fact every lover of social justice regardless of their faith background? Yet our decision about who we support, sadly enough, has historically been based upon who is most likely to get into power so that we can align ourselves with them, with little consideration of what these parties actually stand for and the long term consequences of supporting them. 

As Muslims we should be siding with that which is right and just, and not just siding with parties or groups for the sake of obtaining power.

Soon, many politicians will be asking us to make a decision on who to support in the coming election. They will be looking for our financial donations and our votes. For too long the Liberal party has taken our support for granted. For too long they have assumed that they have us "in the bag." For too long they believe they can trample all over our rights and think that we don't notice.

[ 10 December 2003: Message edited by: Sara Mayo ]

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DavidB-D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4572

posted 10 December 2003 04:10 PM      Profile for DavidB-D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You clipped it just below the juiciest part:
quote:
As for Mr. Martin himself, he is very closely associated with pro-zionist advocates, especially Gerald Schwartz, who sits on the Emergency Cabinet of the United Israel Appeal Federations of Canada, and is currently the main fundraiser for Mr. Martin.

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 10 December 2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is that not accurate? Why you don't like it that they pointed it out?

And just in case you were thinking of tarring Montreal Muslim News as anti-semitic, you should notice thier slogan on their front page "NO TO RACISM, NO TO ANTI-SEMITISM, NO TO ISLAMPHOBIA AND ALL FORMS OF INTOLERANCE!!!!"

Also, take a look at their editorial condemning the Malaysian PM's comments regarding Jews

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DavidB-D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4572

posted 10 December 2003 04:40 PM      Profile for DavidB-D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From Sara Mayo's second link:
quote:
Our leaders should be more careful when they speak as what they say reflects on the whole Muslim community. Once again, however, someone who is supposed to represent the interests of Muslims has opened his big mouth and the end result is that we all look like a pack of anti-semite bigots.

It's obvious that that editor doesn't take his own advice.

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 10 December 2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So you're saying you don't like Martin painted as Pro-Zionist because he hangs in those crowds? That's fair enough, but I doubt you'll actually admit what your misgivings about the MMN really are.

terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 10 December 2003 05:19 PM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
that (first) quote is amazing.

Really well worded, I must say.

how wide is the circulation of that paper? how influential is it across the country?

I must say it is neato...

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 10 December 2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Come on BD. The pro-Israeli lobby operates on a take-no-prisoners basis. They certainly aren't a pro-Muslim or pro-Muslim-rights bunch. You sure aren't. Why exactly would you expect any Muslim group to avoid taking such connections into consideration? Why on earth would you expect Muslims to buy the idea that when they're wondering who they should support politically they should ignore close connections to groups whose agenda is all about squashing Palestinians as well as advocating warfare against Iraq, Syria and Iran.

It always boggles my mind that you Israel-lobby types always talk hard-nosed expediency out of one side of your mouth, but expect utter beyond-high-minded naivete as the only reasonable standard for the people you're trying to screw.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
terra1st
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4605

posted 10 December 2003 06:51 PM      Profile for terra1st     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
my first experience with the pro-zionist lobby...

A jewish temple in town was attacked (someone threw a molotov into a bassment window, the story went, and the fire burned part of the library)...

There was a benefit to raise money to fix it and replace some of the books... my wife and I went and put some of our money towards it.

I brought along some copies of the journal "Turning the Tide: the journal of the anti-racist action network" and put them on a table with a sign saying "pay by donation".

I totally didn't think anything of it...

BUT.... they were taken, by the folk who run the synagogue (did I spell it right?) and thrown out, 'cause they had a picture of a moslem woman on the front cover and the phrase "I am not the enemy" along with a cover stories against the war against terror and racial profiling...

after I asked where the magazines were, and tried to explain that they clearly said "the journal of the ANTI-RACIST ACTION network" on them, they were taken out of the garbage and returned...

the hostility that I was treated with was amazing... them - "why are you here? why are you here today??" me - "cause you guys were firebombed and that's not cool. I don't like that kind of racist violence, especially against a sacred building, and I'm here to put my $$ into helping you fix your temple." them - "why did you bring that magazine????" me - "cause it's an anti-racist publication and i thought it should be here at this time... you experienced racist violence, the magazine is against that kind of thing... what's wrong with it?" them - "why are you here??" and so it went....

Of course the speeches were talking about how isreal needs support, she (??) is facing extreme amounts of violence (all fair to say, but there was no mention of the flip side of the coin...) and how everyone wants peace.

not one mention of palestine whatsoever.

that was my introduction to the middle east conflict. nice, eh? at least it showed me what side I'm on.

truth be told, the old guy (who seemed to be a spiritual leader or something... being an athiest, I don't know much of many religions...) was very nice, and I think understood where I was coming from. I like and respect him. the others, not so much.

LukeVanc
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2735

posted 10 December 2003 08:10 PM      Profile for LukeVanc     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wow, that is an excellent editorial. Very nice to see the NDP getting credit where credit is deserved, and attracting support from non traditional, i.e. non caucasian protestant, sources.
John K
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3407

posted 10 December 2003 11:09 PM      Profile for John K        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
This coming election campaign let's work towards a more just social and progressive social order.

For a long time the slogan amoung Canada's right wing was "unite the right." Well, let's unite AGAINST the right.

Hear. Hear.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca