FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the NDP   » Campaign songs 2004

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Campaign songs 2004
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 02 December 2003 09:58 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What campaign song do you think the NDP should use in the upcoming election?

In 2000, we used a celtic-y diddy that I believe was composed by Ashley MacIsaac. The Liberals had that "put your hands up in the air" song that no one remembers, but was popular at the time. Don't know about the others.

I say we use Bob Marley's Exodus The lyrics are erilly suiting, too!

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 02 December 2003 10:23 PM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"The Penis Song" from the movie The Sweetest Thing... HANDS DOWN!!!

You're too big to fit in here!
TOO BIG TO FIT IN HERE!
TOO BIG TO FIT IN HERE! OH OH OH!

From: Trinity-Spadina | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
inukjuak
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4425

posted 02 December 2003 10:36 PM      Profile for inukjuak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by meades:
What campaign song do you think the NDP should use in the upcoming election?

Sounds like a challenge to write a new one. I wrote a great campaign song in 1988, for a candidate whose last name was Maybee. The chorus went:

So it's Maybee, Maybee, Maybee:
I'm certainly voting for Maybee.
Let gullible twits vote for Tories or Grits--
My definite yes is for Maybee.

Did we win? you ask. Well, a moral victory.

Krago
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3064

posted 04 December 2003 12:15 AM      Profile for Krago     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider (and/or Tom Cochrane)

Lyrics

From: The Royal City | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 04 December 2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
For Paul Martin: "Leaving on a jet plane". A corporate jet with a close corporate friend.
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 04 December 2003 01:18 AM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Does it have to be a recent song?
What about Elvis Costello's 'Living in Paradise'?
"Here we are living in paradise... Living in luxary". with some info on tax shelters and pictures of PM with backdrop of the Liberian flag counterposed by shots of the 'paradise' of Canadian living.

From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kiavash Najafi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4205

posted 04 December 2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Kiavash Najafi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There was this documentary report on CBC when Jack was running for the leadership. They showed Jack at a bar playing the piano and singing "Hit the road Paul and don't you come back no more no more no more no more..." I thought it was a lot of fun to see Jack play the piano and sing a funny song about Paul Martin; but it was rather ironic that the song actually read: "hit the road Jack and don't you come back."
From: Toronto and Ottawa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 04 December 2003 01:51 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I say we use Bob Marley's Exodus The lyrics are erilly suiting, too!

"Movement of Jah people"? I have doubts.

Small Axe works for me, though.

Igziabeher

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
speechpoet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3693

posted 04 December 2003 04:48 AM      Profile for speechpoet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This'll be the bazillionth campaign running that I push this, but... "Make You a Believer", Sass Jordan.
From: Sunny Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bee's Knees
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4701

posted 04 December 2003 04:51 AM      Profile for Bee's Knees     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I seriously suggest "Hope" by Shaggy. Sure he's Mister Luver-Luver, but the words are so positive and the sound so uplifting that it would even make the NDP cranks get up and dance.

But nothing from U2.

Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 04 December 2003 07:30 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
we need someone iconic, someone internationally known. can it be anyone else but bryan adams?

quote:
Oh once in your life you find someone
Who will turn your world around
Bring you up when you're feeling down
Yeah nothing can change what Jack means to me
There's a lot that I could say
but just vote for him now
Cause our love will light the way

The NDP is all that I want
I'm finding it hard to believe
We're in Heaven

I've been waiting for so long
For something to arrive
For a party to come along

Now our dreams are coming true
Through the good times and the bad
Jack'll be standing there by you

[ 04 December 2003: Message edited by: Willowdale Wizard ]

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 04 December 2003 11:03 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Common mistakes to avoid when choosing a campaign song

1) Failing to get permission When the Alliance chose to pay tribute (!) to Stockwell Day with Great Big Sea's "Ordinary Day", they got into trouble with the band, who made it clear that they did NOT endorse the party and had not been asked for permission.

2) Not listening to all of the words I'm sure Myron Thompson loved hearing "We want freedom to love who we please" when the (then) United Alternative used "Rise Up" at their founding convention. Likewise it was a little bit curious for Dave Barrett to pick a song that told delegates that "woman's time has come". When Kim Campbell use INXS's "New Sensation", I'm quite sure she didn't realize that it contained the following very appropriate line: "You will find out in the end, there really is, there really is no difference".

3) Not considering what your opponents might use Howard McCurdy apparently had "Talkin' 'Bout A Revolution" cued up at the 1989 NDP leadership convention. But, when Audrey McLaughlin (who went before him) used the song, he apparently grabbed whatever was in the ghettoblaster. It turned out to be "Fame (I'm Gonna Live Forever)". I think dead silence might have been preferable.

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3401

posted 04 December 2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Olly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can I add one more? Choosing a cheesy song with no currency. Bryan Adams is just too damn cheesy to attract excitement (at least from anyone under 35).

I would love to see "Renegades of Funk" by Rage Against the Machine which is a very cool political song, but maybe a little too out there. Or we could use the original version (which I think was from the 70s and could conceivably still appeal to people in their 50s).

hibachi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 956

posted 04 December 2003 03:13 PM      Profile for hibachi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How about 'Don't Bogart that Joint'

Pass it on to me.

From: Toronto, Ont. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kloch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3765

posted 04 December 2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Kloch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Even Better than the Real Thing" - U2
speechpoet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3693

posted 04 December 2003 04:05 PM      Profile for speechpoet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How 'bout songs that should be declared off-limits for, say, the next decade?

• Rise Up, The Parachute Club
  • Talkin' 'bout a Revolution, Tracy Chapman
  • Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow, Fleetwood Mac
  • Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
  • Rise Up, The Parachute Club (just for added emphasis)

From: Sunny Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kaitlin Stocks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3766

posted 06 December 2003 05:26 AM      Profile for Kaitlin Stocks   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well.... I remember when i was like, 8, going to a tory rally with my mom (coz, you know, its good to have exposure to ALLLL the partys) and they played "Simply the Best", by Tina Turner. HA... the best at... not selling her car?? lol....

I also remember, as I'm sure all SK NDPers to the song "Live is Life" by Opus... my vote goes there. Or... "Home For A Rest" by Spirit Of The West... if they don't mind of course!

From: The City That Rhymes With Fun... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 06 December 2003 06:29 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I keep thinking of campaign songs that are wildly inappropriate or would do well for when someone switches the tape on Stephen Harper.

Imagine this...he comes out on stage at his campaign rally, the music starts:

"My sex change operation got botched! My guardian angel fell asleep on the watch! Now all I've got is a barbie doll crotch! I got an angry inch!"

I can't think of any good ones at the moment.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 06 December 2003 09:56 AM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've got a song for the new Conservative Party

Flintstones. Meet the Flintstones.
They'll bring back the stone age family.
From the leader on down,
They exist to spread their bigotry.

Let's split up gay families on our street.
When the marriage law we can defeat.

When you vote for Flintstones
you'll have a yabba dabba doo time.
A dabba doo time.
You'll have a straight old time.

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kiavash Najafi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4205

posted 06 December 2003 02:13 PM      Profile for Kiavash Najafi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Conservatives should use "Born to Lose".

The NDP could go with Elton John's "Don't You Go Breaking my Heart"!

From: Toronto and Ottawa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
babbler/dabbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4633

posted 06 December 2003 03:54 PM      Profile for babbler/dabbler        Edit/Delete Post
The all time classic
Bob Dylan, Times, They are A Changin'

And I do so hope that they are!

clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 06 December 2003 04:04 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Doesn't Dylan advertise for bankers now?
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 06 December 2003 04:15 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"The banker heard me play my flute,
He offered cash, I took his loot."

I haven't copyrighted the lyrics, but the BM advert is old news anyway.

clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 06 December 2003 04:44 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:
[QB]but the BM advert is old news anyway.

Oh, I see. It doesn't matter that he agreed to put a nice spin on the image of a 'master of war' because it is 'old news' and therefore irrelevant.

Meow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1247

posted 06 December 2003 11:01 PM      Profile for Meow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Dylan is a sell out....but it really isn't anything new....he decided that political music was useless after Kennedy was shot....apparantly. If you really read about the man's life he is really not a very likable character. How can we ever forgive the man who killed the folk revival...damn electric guitars.

Anyways, I go with:
billy bragg "all you fascists are bound to lose" in spite of the electric guitars...

either that or kid koala "realism"...I just find it rousing.

Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 07 December 2003 12:43 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Imagine this...he comes out on stage at his campaign rally, the music starts:

"My sex change operation got botched! My guardian angel fell asleep on the watch! Now all I've got is a barbie doll crotch! I got an angry inch!"

HAHAHAHA!! Let's save it for after the CP implode in the next election. It'll be sooo appropriate.

I also cast my vote for Small Axe. It's one of my favourite songs of revolution and hope.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 07 December 2003 06:23 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaitlin Stocks:
"Home For A Rest" by Spirit Of The West... if they don't mind of course!

Shouldn't that be Gordon Campbell's song?
"And these so-called vacations will soon be my death
I'm so sick from the drink I need home for a rest!"

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 07 December 2003 06:42 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I like the Pogues'
"Sitting on top of the world":

"The masters of industry are killing for oil
There's poison in the air and the water and the soil
We're all turning mutant, they're counting up the spoils
I'm sitting on top of the world"

Admittedly not very upbeat . . .

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 08 December 2003 05:15 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
i second kid koala's "realism" ...
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 08 December 2003 05:24 AM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What about a revamped version of the English Beat's "Stand down Margaret":

I see no joy, I see only sorrow
I see no chance of it brightening tomorrow
So stand down Martin, stand down PLEASE,
stand down Martin

[ 08 December 2003: Message edited by: kingblake ]

From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
LukeVanc
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2735

posted 08 December 2003 07:04 AM      Profile for LukeVanc     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I know it's cheesey pop, but...

Christina Aguilera,

"Fighter"

Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 08 December 2003 07:10 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
the english beat are still touring, and reports indicate that when they come to the chorus, audiences are spontaneously singing "stand down tony!"
JeffWells
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4761

posted 15 December 2003 05:09 PM      Profile for JeffWells     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I remember in 2000, wishing it was Green Day's Minority. Be an even better choice now. Quite rousing, I think, for a populist underdog campaign. And a minority parliament is likely our best case scenario.

"I want to be the minority
I don't need your authority
Down with the moral majority
'Cause I want to be the minority!"

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 15 December 2003 04:43 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Oh, I see. It doesn't matter that he agreed to put a nice spin on the image of a 'master of war' because it is 'old news' and therefore irrelevant.

Spare me the rolly-eyes thingy.

I didn't say that.

I said the advert was "old news" so my lyrics are out of date as well.

While I like Small Axe, I like that Stand Down Martin idea better. The riddim's more stirring - mass appeal, etc. etc...

spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 15 December 2003 05:07 PM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by LukeVanc:
I know it's cheesey pop, but...

Christina Aguilera,

"Fighter"

Maybe at the campaign offices of losing candidates.

Dogbert
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1201

posted 15 December 2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Dogbert     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm surprized no one mentioned Trooper's "Raise a Little Hell". It's perfect for a campaign song.

quote:

If you don't like what you got, why don't you change it?
If your world is all screwed up, re-arrange it!

I'd like to hear them use Rage Against The Machine's "Wake up", but that's not happening.

spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 15 December 2003 07:42 PM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"We're Not Gonna Take It"

quote:
We've got the right to choose and
There ain't no way we'll lose it
This is our life, this is our song
We'll fight the powers that be just
Don't pick our destiny 'cause
You don't know us, you don't belong

And to be extra-Canadian, choose the Bif Naked cover

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 15 December 2003 08:37 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by spatrioter:
"We're Not Gonna Take It"

Sorry, but it's tainted by the fact that Ahnold used it... with the blessing (!) of Twisted Sister.

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 15 December 2003 08:52 PM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

LukeVanc
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2735

posted 15 December 2003 08:58 PM      Profile for LukeVanc     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I'm surprized no one mentioned Trooper's "Raise a Little Hell". It's perfect for a campaign song.

Craig Chandler's campaign song just prior to his forgettable leadership speech.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca