babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » humanities & science   » Salutin on Sovereignty

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Salutin on Sovereignty
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 23 January 2003 03:58 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.canadiandimension.mb.ca/frame.htm

No url for article. You have to go down a little on the right to link article.

[ 23 January 2003: Message edited by: josh ]

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rebecca West
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1873

posted 23 January 2003 04:26 PM      Profile for Rebecca West     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Josh, you're a canuckaphile!

It's not the most coherent of Salutin's scribblings, but certainly a balanced view. Thanks for posting it!

From: London , Ontario - homogeneous maximus | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 January 2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A canuckaphile? Something for the "fetish" thread maybe? Heh.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 23 January 2003 10:00 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*takes josh aside*

Josh, can I have a word with you? It's just that I've noticed -- well, I've noticed you've been reading weird things lately. It's not normal. Like that weird Canadian leftist magazine, Canadian Dimension. Don't you think you're taking this Canadian lefist thing a little far? I mean, first it was the Toronto Star -- the gateway paper. Then it was Rabble. Now you're rolled up in bed with a bunch of old Marxists. I mean, where will it end? The Anarchist Quarterly Scrawl? Optative theatre? I think it's time you got some help.

Don't you feel better already, now that we've talked about it?

[ 23 January 2003: Message edited by: rasmus_raven ]

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 24 January 2003 10:47 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

No, I draw the line at anarchy. I'll end up going so far that I'll start reading the National Post and the publications of the Fraser Institute. Don't want to become like one of those old Trotskyites who ended up waiving a banner for Reagan.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 24 January 2003 11:44 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, you mean the "New York Intellectuals"?
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 24 January 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, the Kristol/Podhoretz crowd. Not the Hook/Howe/Lipset/Bell crowd.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 January 2003 12:13 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hear that Susan Sontag is still doing well.

From Salutin's article:

quote:
But just because you claim to be acting in the name of the oppressed does not mean you have won the right to do so, to represent them, and to do as you wish in their name.

That appears in the context of his comments on the kerfuffle over Sunera Thobani's remarks about 11 September, part of Salutin's more general reflections about the left's difficulties in dealing with the attacks in the U.S.

It was the one concrete principle I found in his critique, which is convincingly thoughtful but still not very directed, I thought. Not that I am feeling intensely directed m'self these days, of course. But on that point, I certainly thought he was right, and it's an important principle to remember and defend.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 24 January 2003 12:19 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
R.W. and Skdadl, it was from a speech he gave. Hence, perhaps, the lack of coherence.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca