babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » babblers helping babblers   » playing dvds on laptops

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: playing dvds on laptops
G. Pie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15576

posted 06 October 2008 06:24 PM      Profile for G. Pie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is there a babbler out there who could help this Luddite? I put a Monty Python CD in the drive and a screen came up telling me to launch my DVD player. I have free software called Cliprex so I opened that. When I hit the arrow for play, a bunch of folders came up. How are you supposed to know which folder to use? Also, is there a way that I could get the DVD player to run automatically whenever I insert a DVD? I'd appreciate any help because I could really use a laugh tonight. Thanks in advance.
From: Vancouver Island | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 06 October 2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well... Cliprex seems to offer a few software products: a player, a ripper, an encoder... are you sure you've got the Player?

Another basic question: are you 100% sure that your laptop has a DVD drive (not just a CD Player)? If your laptop was made in the last few years, it's probably a DVD player.

Also: I'm assuming you've got PC with Windows... ? Usually that comes with Windows Media Player, which *should* play your DVD (if you do have a DVD drive).

If there is a "My Computer" icon on your desktop, double-click on that to open a Windows Explorer window, and look for the DVD drive. It's probably called something like "DVD/CD-RW Drive (D " or something similar. Click the right mouse button once on that drive's icon, and it should give you some options, like Expand, Explore, Open... with luck there should be an option like Play, or Play with some-software-or-other, or Open with....

If that's not happening, then either your drive or disk aren't quite right, or you may have to download some other decent player software, like VLC media player.

Not sure if any of this helps... it's about 100 times harder to help over message board than in person. Post back with success or failure, and either I or some other geeky type may have further ideas....

Good luck.

[ 06 October 2008: Message edited by: Albireo ]

G. Pie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15576

posted 06 October 2008 07:56 PM      Profile for G. Pie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I do have Windows Media Player and I tried it with that and got the same prompt to run my DVD player. Isn't that what WMP is? I think I'm missing a step. I don't understand how it can read the DVD (the screen shows Monty Python) but not run it. This laptop is about 4 years old, I think. Windows XP.
G. Pie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15576

posted 06 October 2008 08:11 PM      Profile for G. Pie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Windows Media Player is saying there's no disk. Perhaps I don't have a DVD drive? Should I try to download from the link you just posted?
G. Pie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15576

posted 06 October 2008 08:13 PM      Profile for G. Pie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I tried from My Computer, I got this:

quote:
Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 06 October 2008 08:25 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, it probably doesn't have the "Codecs", so it's likely an old version that doesn't know how to interpret a newer DVD. (Though maybe it's possible that it's not really a DVD player... is it called a "DVD/CD-RW" drive or something like that?

If so... In Windows Media Player, go into Help.. Stupidly, it is not obvious how to do so; try, from within WMP, pressing the Alt key then H for Help, and under the Help menu there should be a "Check for Updates" option. Then download and install any updates, and try again.

Another alternative is to try downloading VLC Media Player as mentioned above. It's free Open Source software that decodes more formats and codecs than anything else I know of...

If you have a functional DVD drive and disk and VLC won't play it, then I'm not sure what will...

G. Pie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15576

posted 06 October 2008 08:36 PM      Profile for G. Pie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I downloaded VLC and I think we're getting somewhere. Again, though, there's a list of files to select from (on the DVD). I selected one at random and it was the FBI warning. None of the file names are the least bit intuitive. Is there a way to just play the DVD in its entirety? I appreciate your help.
G. Pie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15576

posted 06 October 2008 08:45 PM      Profile for G. Pie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I tried to play another file and got an error message: VLC cannot read file. Then I couldn't get rid of the error window and had to reboot.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 06 October 2008 09:06 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
FBI warning... that's good... any more progress and you'll be in jail. Error, freezing & rebooting... that's not so good.

OK, when you see the drive in an Explorer Window (maybe by opening "My Computer"), does the drive show that it recognizes the DVD, maybe by being labeled as something like "DVD-RW (E: ) MontyP_Holy_Grail" or whatever?

When you right-click on that drive you get an option like "Play with VLC Media Player"? And then you just get the FBI warning? During that, or at the end of it, maybe on-screen there are menu options to click on, like "Play", "Scene Selection", "Extras"... ? If so try "Play...". If not, is there a Menu icon near the lower right part of VLC (has dots on the left side and lines beside, and if you hover your mouse on it, it says "Menu")? If so, click that and see if you get to the DVD's own top menu (Play, Scenes, Extras, etc). If not, is there a "Next Track" control near the top somewhere to the right of Play/Pause, Stop, etc (looks like a fast-forward to a vertical line... ? Does that take you from the FBI Warning to the a Preview or the first scene, or whatever...?

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 06 October 2008 09:16 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Er, I'm not sure, but maybe your hardware (the drive, probably) just can't handle the DVD. I can't say it's not solveable... hard to say without seeing it.

But for your fix of Monty Python amusement tonight, you may have to settle for miscellaneous Youtube Monty Python clips, bandwidth permitting.

G. Pie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15576

posted 07 October 2008 03:50 AM      Profile for G. Pie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albireo:
OK, when you see the drive in an Explorer Window (maybe by opening "My Computer"), does the drive show that it recognizes the DVD, maybe by being labeled as something like "DVD-RW (E: ) MontyP_Holy_Grail" or whatever?

Yes.

quote:
When you right-click on that drive you get an option like "Play with VLC Media Player"? And then you just get the FBI warning?

That was with Windows Media Player.

quote:
During that, or at the end of it, maybe on-screen there are menu options to click on, like "Play", "Scene Selection", "Extras"... ? If so try "Play...".

No, there was nothing.

quote:
If not, is there a Menu icon near the lower right part of VLC (has dots on the left side and lines beside, and if you hover your mouse on it, it says "Menu")? If so, click that and see if you get to the DVD's own top menu (Play, Scenes, Extras, etc). If not, is there a "Next Track" control near the top somewhere to the right of Play/Pause, Stop, etc (looks like a fast-forward to a vertical line... ?Does that take you from the FBI Warning to the a Preview or the first scene, or whatever...?

I will check this out and get back to you.

G. Pie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15576

posted 07 October 2008 04:33 AM      Profile for G. Pie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I uninstalled VLC because it seemed to be causing system crashes.

There are a few icons I don't recognize (one says "CDVD") that look promising. I inherited this computer from my sister and she was very techno-savvy. I'm sure there's something already on here that will do it.

Could we try another project instead? My iPod (also inherited) has stuff on it that I don't listen to but don't want destroyed. Is there a way to get it off my iPod and onto my laptop? I assume the drive can read CDs okay. I want to put more songs on the iPod. I'm missing the cable that goes between the computer and the iPod. Can I buy this separately? And what's it called?

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca